ADVERTISEMENT

The step up in competition exposed Gettys and Freeman, don't you think?

Drsupremo

Redshirt
Feb 15, 2010
That was my takeaway from the Miami game.

Gettys played like a lumbering 7' who cannot jump, run the floor, defend or rebound. Sure he performed exceptionally well against the "sisters of the poor", to coin a phrase. But when you play against real athletes, with 4* talent and size, it's a different ball-game -- these type of athletes are simply too quick and skilled for him to do anything but foul or look woefully over-matched. In fact, there were several plays where I found it painful to just even watch him try to run up and down the floor. Although he seems like a great teammate, etc., I predict that by the middle of the Big10 schedule Sa will supplant him as a starter. In a word, Gettys better learn to take a jump shot or two from the foul line when we play the better teams. Otherwise he will never score. Let's hope I'm wrong and he steps up his game somehow.

The same is true for Freeman. He blew at least 4 easy shots around the basket and was stuffed several other times. Had he made those shots we might of had a chance. In a word, Freeman is an undersized power forward who doesn't seem to want to take a jump shot (he took one and made it). Against better teams, he will not be able to dominate the paint as he did during the wins against lesser opponents. In many ways, he reminds me of Ollie Bailey -- an undersized power forward that got stuffed every time he tried to work around the basket. That's what happens when you are a 6'6" power forward and the guy guarding you is 6'10". I hope he learns to modify his game when he plays against taller, athletic guys. Concentrate on rebounding, running the floor and the mid-range game.

That being said, I like where we are. This is a team that is athletic and can improve. We finally have some depth! Somethings never change, however -- as we are as poor a shooting team as we have always been since the Quincy Douby days. It seems so hard for us to score!!!

Gettys' issue last night was defending without fouling. Felt like he was trying to do too much, and he committed a few quick fouls that limited his minutes to just 15.

Statistically, Gettys came out ahead of Sa in every "stat per minute played" category but fouls. Doorson gave some valuable minutes though, I thought.

As far as Freeman, it wasn't his night. He missed a few bunnies early, and that might have gotten into his head - he had some of his own foul trouble, and then finishing issues (which makes me wonder if he got a case of the yips).

Would have helped a lot if the players not named Williams didn't go 0-10 from the arc, too. Just had a night where we struggled to hit shots.

I can not disagree with you about CJ. Clearly slow and was exposed by Miami's athleticism. Freeman, however, may be a different story. Let us not forget that he has not been in many games like the one we saw the other night. Teams need to learn how to win, so do individual players. I prefer to see this game as a wake up call for him, one from which he needs to learn how to compete at this level. He needs to learn to rise to the occasion. Whether he does or not we will learn throughout the season. So. For CJ I agree with you. You can't teach speed. Freeman, I will reserve my opinion until I see him over a larger body of work in games that matter.

Reactions: RUMountie
I can not disagree with you about CJ. Clearly slow and was exposed by Miami's athleticism. Freeman, however, may be a different story. Let us not forget that he has not been in many games like the one we saw the other night. Teams need to learn how to win, so do individual players. I prefer to see this game as a wake up call for him, one from which he needs to learn how to compete at this level. He needs to learn to rise to the occasion. Whether he does or not we will learn throughout the season. So. For CJ I agree with you. You can't teach speed. Freeman, I will reserve my opinion until I see him over a larger body of work in games that matter.
Agree with you completely. Gettys will have to gut it out against this type of competition where he is overmatched. Freeman on the other hand, that was the best team he has faced in his division 1 career. He will come back strong.

If nothing else, Gettys gives us a big body on defense and five fouls. Against good teams, there might not be anything else from him, but even that's more than we had last year.

There was genuine value in the game - Just like a baseball player will never learn how to deal with a 97 MPH fastball by constantly smashing the crap out of 86 MPH pitches - Getting beaten by a thriving Miami team probably had even greater benefit than if Miami had come out flat & lackluster and permitted RU to notch a mediocre win.

This coaching staff is good - very good - but they can't really fix/improve what they can't fully observe - so there is real value in a game like this - and now that they have seen certain players genuinely pushed to that point where some of their shortcomings get clearly exposed - they can really go to work on rectifying the issues / putting in place some compensatory techniques / implement adjustments to reduce the degree to which certain player's weaknesses are exploited.

Freeman has he skill set to cultivate a face up game away from the basket. If he does that he will be fine. He missed 2-3 easy layups hardly contested that rattles around the rim. Other than that he just forced the issue underneath and turned or drop stepped into a the second defender.

Coach should have sat him for an extended period of time and calmed him down. I blame coach more than him. But yes, he needs to make more use of his mid range jumper and face up game 16 ft from the basket instead of 8.

Reactions: BillyC80
I always thought gettys would be who he is......a nice ...but limited BIG....

I think Freeman will respond...as a JUCO transfer...this is his FIRST time facing this level of talent
Miami's BIGs are as athletic as any team we will meet
he will adjust.......IMO

what disappointed me about CJ was how foolish his (first 2) fouls were. Both his first 2 were because he didn't stand his ground and simply turned his body into the player taking the shot.

I am also completely confused as to how athletic he appeared to be in his highlight tape vs. how flat footed he really appears to be. Why? (and I really like the guy so don't take it that way).

PS..to the point above. HE was the guy that should have helped make some outside shots yesterday..at least take a few.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I haven't seen the team yet but we're clearly not at the talent level of the "big boys". That says there's no reason for someone likely Gettys et al not to improve by playing against better competition. Rutgers is still young and playing with 3-stat talent. Starting with our schollie this year if the team is markedly improved (with new facilities coming) I expect at least 1 or more (2018+) 4-star top 100 (if not better) to sign with Pikiell and staff every year. That gonna be fun.

I don't think it exposed them because I think it was always thought they could struggle against top competition. To me, it's as expected, which is fine. They are who they are. Gettys is a fifth-year senior, so no surprises there. He's worth more to RU than at most other programs. Freeman is a very skilled, crafty, undersized power-forward with a nose for the ball and limited range in a wing's body. He could dominate small teams and will need get opportunistic points against the big boys.

Freeman had a bad game. He missed wide open chip shots. His first miss there wasn't someone within 5 feet of him. Is he going to get 26 and 10 every night like he did a couple games ago? Of course not. But he will be within a point or a rebound or two of a double-double every night.

Freeman had a bad game. He missed wide open chip shots. His first miss there wasn't someone within 5 feet of him. Is he going to get 26 and 10 every night like he did a couple games ago? Of course not. But he will be within a point or a rebound or two of a double-double every night.
yeah but imagine if we got 70% of his norm the other night. completely different ballgame. gotta have your star show up in the big spots. hope that was a 1 off.

yeah but imagine if we got 70% of his norm the other night. completely different ballgame. gotta have your star show up in the big spots. hope that was a 1 off.

If Freeman had hit just 50% of his missed bunnies (4 points) and our non-Williams shooters had gone 2-10 instead of 0-10 from the arc (6 points), it would have been a completely different ballgame.

Gettys role should be simple as we approach B1G play - take up space in the paint to make every basket in there a difficult task and clean up whatever he can off the glass. Teams will make shots and get a few balls, but the idea would be to make them work hard for it so the remaining 4 can utilize their athleticism to get some balance.

Reactions: higgins3
I think Gettys will get the 1st 3-4 minutes of each half and his play and the opponent will dictate how much more he gets. I'd like to see him get the ball in the low post and be used as a passer for a laurent cut or Issa catch and shoot.

This year's staff is hard-working and savvy and will make the necessary adjustments to get the most out of the players. I expect the team's level of play to improve as the season goes on.

I think Gettys will get the 1st 3-4 minutes of each half and his play and the opponent will dictate how much more he gets. I'd like to see him get the ball in the low post and be used as a passer for a laurent cut or Issa catch and shoot.
More Sa, less Gettys if you ask me

Reactions: Scangg
The coaches will need make the adjustment on the right 5 on the floor and style of play for those 5. They will play more zone D with Gettys but he'll give us good minutes allow others to rest. Freeman just had a bad game. He can do better. I don't like the Sanders and Johnson combination. Hoping the staff will figure it out before conference play.

I think both kids will learn from this and with the staff's guidance they'll make the necessary changes. I agree that Freeman needs to face the basket and take those ten foot jumpers. That IMO, will open the lane a bit for him to drive. He definitely missed at least 4 or 5 chippies that he normally makes, but I think he was a bit intimidated by the length of some of the Miami players down low. CJ is what he is. He can't really jump, but he can certainly provide a big body down below and he has soft hands for easy put backs. I also expect him to take a few 10-12 foot jump shots, as he can easily make them, as well as be a better passer when the opposition plays zone against us.

As for Pikiell and staff, I'm sure they realize how they're going to make more adjustments going forward into B1G play. I would not be surprised to see us change our defense from man to man to zone and back again. I would also like to see us press a bit more as I thought that was very successful in the closing minutes of the game.

More Sa, less Gettys if you ask me

I think we'll probably start seeing more of Sa, and a little less of Gettys.

Gettys isn't that athletic on defense, and he's going to get into foul trouble there more often than Sa will, I think. He does rebound and pass well, though, and we do frequently run our offense through him at the top of the key when he's in the game.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
I think we will see a little more Shaq as well as the season progresses. It bodes really well for next year if we can get him to say north of 10 min/game by the end of this year.

RUMBA -- right on the money. And most of the rest of the posters know, Gettys is what he is. He brings space clogging and five fouls to the game physically. He should win virtually zero battles against the big 4-5* boys. But his energy, enthusiasm, and work ethic will win him a few a least. That translates positively the others on the court.

While "moral victory" is a phrase I dislike using, they did play hard, continuously, against an NCAA team. I think they learned a lot -- about what they need to do against talented teams. Coaching staff learned a lot a bout them, as well. Not giving up is an underated quality. Don't be surprised if they win one or two of these games down the road. I don't think they will be.

I hate the give 5 fouls analogy. With more fouls being called and only being allowed to commit 6 before going in to the bonus fouls are real bad. Any strategy or thought with fouls to give in college basketball is flawed.

I hate the give 5 fouls analogy. With more fouls being called and only being allowed to commit 6 before going in to the bonus fouls are real bad. Any strategy or thought with fouls to give in college basketball is flawed.

I think it's more along the lines of "if our big guy gets into foul trouble, we don't have to suddenly give up five inches to their big guy". Last year, if Lewis got into foul trouble, we ended up with Foreman playing center, for instance. Having a second big with "5 fouls" allows you to spell your starter if he gets into foul trouble, without giving up much height. Right now, if we got into foul trouble down low, we have a lot of bodies to rotate in between Gettys/Sa/Doorson/Diallo... whereas last year we just had Lewis for much of the season.

Plus, not all fouls are equal. If your big is fouling their big to prevent a sure 2 points, their big is usually not their best foul shooter. While that will run you into the bonus faster (and cause more shots by the guards later in the halves), once you're in the bonus/double bonus, it allows you to play more aggressively on defense down low and put a poor shooter at the line.

The step up in competition exposed the entire team not just Gettys and Freeman.The problem against better talent has been for years that Rutgers simply lacks shooters to match baskets and maintain leads.The weak schedule in the first 6 games allowed that weakness to be ignored but starting with Seton Hall and then B1G opponents there will be no more easy games.Better coaching can only take this team so far which probably will disappoint fans..

Reactions: bac2therac
Two things ...among other things, last year Eddie & staff were criticized for
  • Not using timeouts effectively
  • The team not "giving fouls" when the opportunity existed
How is this year's team doing with the two items?

They are a year away from an absolutely hideous season , one of many around here
We went 6 and 0 against nobody . There are signs of life but I never expected a W on Wednesday
What I wanted was progress ,hustle and a sense of urgency and for the most part I got it. We lost by 11 in Miami against a qualty team. Baby steps. There may be some Big Ten wins but we may also suffer some beat downs on the road to redemption..It's all about trajectory . My emoji is tuned to this [banana] not this :angry:.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I know what you are saying, but this was an ACC team, and they have a different playing style at times.

Gettys made his choice to come to RU because his mold did not fit what UNCW wanted. He might be bettered suited for the BIG.

Also, Freeman was close to scoring 15 points if he finished. He will get better.

Our whole team will get better, and that is because we have a ....

Coach.

Two things ...among other things, last year Eddie & staff were criticized for
  • Not using timeouts effectively
  • The team not "giving fouls" when the opportunity existed
How is this year's team doing with the two items?

They have been decent in those areas. Most of all, they have won some games. If you take last year and give the coaches from last year the same schedule, we are probably 3 and 4 right now. Instead, we are 6 and 1. Onward. Jordan is golfing and happy he is not coaching D1 basketball. Pikeill is thrilled, and the RAC has had some loud moments.I have had a lot of fun moments. Thank you Coach Pikiell.

The reason we went to a zone is Miami is not a good outside shooting team and I believe finished up 3-16 from 3 point land. Also def agree about Getty's but has been stated Freeman just missed some wide open layups

The reason we went to a zone is Miami is not a good outside shooting team and I believe finished up 3-16 from 3 point land. Also def agree about Getty's but has been stated Freeman just missed some wide open layups

I think Gettys will give us close to everything he has got. We have a great group of guys, and a great staff. Most of our games are against far lower opponents. What did you guys expect out of Gettys? I think if he does not foul, he could be a very decent player. At this point, I wonder how much more patient he can be. As expected, Pikeill will use everybody this season. Or close to it.

It's not a bad thing to have 10 fouls to play with and the kids addition gives RU just that.

Every team RU plays in conference doesn't have the athletes Miami has on the front line.

Me thinks at season's end everyone will be glad he came to RU.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
There's a difference playing AT the rim and playing OVER the rim. Still Freeman missing the layups early had nothing to do with height....he was just over-amped. We didn't make 3's. There were no shots from the corner like we made against Hartford. So Miami never had to extend it's D. We just drove into a crowd and lost the ball. SWAT!

If Freeman had hit just 50% of his missed bunnies (4 points) and our non-Williams shooters had gone 2-10 instead of 0-10 from the arc (6 points), it would have been a completely different ballgame.

thats a lot of ifs...I think there is a reason why they struggled and thats because they were up against better talent and Freeman is hurt by his size. I think this will be the norm rather than exception against quality competition.

I have heard some posters say if this shot fell or if we did this better we could have won this game, I dont look at it that way. The outcome of this game was never in doubt. Miami housed RU with that 17-0 run and the game was over. It wasnt like it was close, RU didnt give up and fought at the end to make the score respectable but this game wasnt up for grabs

Reactions: RUJMM78
I think he'll be within a point or rebound or two of a double-double for the next 5 games. After that, he'll be struggling unless he starts hitting outside shots.
To me he doesn't get his inside shots up quickly enough. Take a look yourself.

thats a lot of ifs...I think there is a reason why they struggled and thats because they were up against better talent and Freeman is hurt by his size. I think this will be the norm rather than exception against quality competition.

I have heard some posters say if this shot fell or if we did this better we could have won this game, I dont look at it that way. The outcome of this game was never in doubt. Miami housed RU with that 17-0 run and the game was over. It wasnt like it was close, RU didnt give up and fought at the end to make the score respectable but this game wasnt up for grabs

Freeman is hurt by his size, but he missed four uncontested layups with no defenders near him - all in the first 10 min of the game. That's abnormal.

We also didn't hit a 3-pointer for the first 30 minutes of the game. Several of those were well contested or rushed, but there were good looks that were not that were just missed. That's also somewhat abnormal.

Would it have ultimately given us a win? I don't think so - but I think the complexion of the game would have been a bit different.

The thing that really killed us was going stone cold in the 2nd half from 18:44 to 9:43.... 9 minutes without a single point. We went 0-11 during that stretch with 5 turnovers, and not a single foul shot attempted.

Freeman is hurt by his size, but he missed four uncontested layups with no defenders near him - all in the first 10 min of the game. That's abnormal.

We also didn't hit a 3-pointer for the first 30 minutes of the game. Several of those were well contested or rushed, but there were good looks that were not that were just missed. That's also somewhat abnormal.

Would it have ultimately given us a win? I don't think so - but I think the complexion of the game would have been a bit different.

The thing that really killed us was going stone cold in the 2nd half from 18:44 to 9:43.... 9 minutes without a single point. We went 0-11 during that stretch with 5 turnovers, and not a single foul shot attempted.

.289- our three point percentage for the year. Us missing those shots is not abnormal.

Our offense was scattered, and often lazy at times. Not a ton of movement. Right now, our guards are not great three point shooters. Johnson and Sanders have not yet shown the capability of hitting three point shots.

The next game is the best game. The rest of the season will be a lot of fun, 85 % of the nights, but we are still, like mentioned by pretty much everyone, not a great shooting team. Our defense is keeping us there, which is fan freakin tastic. Sanders will be with us, or with someone else(hopefully not) for longer than I had thought.

people took that 1-16 stat line from the Monmouth scrimmage and declared RU will not shoot like that every night. The reality is RU is closer to that every night then hitting 35-40%. RU is a bad 3 point shooting team, we have evidence, thats why shots are not fallling so the what if game falls short there. There will be some magical nights at the RAC where those shots fall and we can spring an upset but thats not the norm

ADVERTISEMENT