ADVERTISEMENT

The strange substitution patterns

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
I questioned Pike’s strange substitutions (a recurring theme over the years)at one point last night. It worked in one sense as our starters (plus Hyatt) won going away as they were fresh. But I did have an issue with Cliff going out so early in the first half- he was dominating and we bring in Woolfolk?

Also, while Pike might have been sending Simpson a message, Miller was a minus on the floor last night. We know he does nothing offensively and he is overrated defensively- and bringing him in at the end of the half when he’s not even warm?

In the end, it’s all moot because we won and won handily. I am very happy. Other than the substitutions at times, Pike coached a great game.

I questioned Pike’s strange substitutions (a recurring theme over the years)at one point last night. It worked in one sense as our starters (plus Hyatt) won going away as they were fresh. But I did have an issue with Cliff going out so early in the first half- he was dominating and we bring in Woolfolk?

Also, while Pike might have been sending Simpson a message, Miller was a minus on the floor last night. We know he does nothing offensively and he is overrated defensively- and bringing him in at the end of the half when he’s not even warm?

In the end, it’s all moot because we won and won handily. I am very happy. Other than the substitutions at times, Pike coached a great game.
The one point we look bad out there defensively, imo, was when Omoruyi was out after his second foul. And McConnell was getting a break at the same time. Pickett got hot for a bit until McConnell came back in.

He took Cliff out because the clock was stopped with, I believe, 16:01 left. Meaning the next stoppage was the TV timeout. So he was just getting Cliff a little extra rest early probably because of how involved he was in the first four minutes on both ends. Wanted to make sure the tank didn't empty.

Miller playing IMO was Pike sending Simpson a message. Basically time to show up if you want these minutes.

I also questioned the Cliff substitutions but Pike knows best and I think he recognized in the first 2 minutes how important Cliff was going to be in this game, and wanted him to be super fresh and out of foul trouble

Caleb was in foul trouble that’s why he sat

You have to play 5 guys so someone has to play! No Reiber or Oskar tonight so can’t complain too much about the patterns

He was throwing bodies at the one player on PSU that could beat us.

Pikes' substitutions at the 14 minute mark was just insane that lineup was horrific; They played for 2 minutes and the lead quickly shrunk to 3 points; I know he is sending a message to Simpson but playing Miller in the 2nd half was just absurd he couldn't even catch a pass on offense and I still don't know where everyone thinks his defense is good as he got abused on the defensive end last night; He just cannot play Miller in these games

I think Miller playing last night was more about the next few games more than anything else.

Simpson at 7 minutes, Miller at 4 minutes and Mulcahy didn't come out of the game in the 2H and logged a game high 38 minutes.

Getting Spencer kind of a day off at 20 minutes is fine too. I think some of these players might be hitting a wall entering the MSU game last week. Buying some minutes and winning in a convincing fashion is excellent.

Simpson will need to play and play well in the remaining games, unless we are just going to try and maul people and play Hyatt at guard and Mag at forward.

I think Miller playing last night was more about the next few games more than anything else.

Simpson at 7 minutes, Miller at 4 minutes and Mulcahy didn't come out of the game in the 2H and logged a game high 38 minutes.

Getting Spencer kind of a day off at 20 minutes is fine too. I think some of these players might be hitting a wall entering the MSU game last week. Buying some minutes and winning in a convincing fashion is excellent.

Simpson will need to play and play well in the remaining games, unless we are just going to try and maul people and play Hyatt at guard and Mag at forward.
Hawk as I wrote in BAC's recap thread in listening to the postgame Aundre when interviewed said he was sick/under the weather for the last two games; I am wondering if Cam is battling through something like that as you know there has been so much crap going around not all Covid of course and maybe that is why Pike sat him the last 15 minutes of the game? just a thought

Depending on the matchup I like the option of playing Hyatt at “big guard” with Mag.

I did not follow Cam's defense last night, but do not recall him getting beat often. To me the curious situation was giving Miller minutes while Cam was sitting a lot in the 2nd. Perhaps Cam was cold on offense, but still higher then Miller. Cam also generally an above average defender, especially against a small line-up like Penn State had out there.

Pikes' substitutions at the 14 minute mark was just insane that lineup was horrific; They played for 2 minutes and the lead quickly shrunk to 3 points; I know he is sending a message to Simpson but playing Miller in the 2nd half was just absurd he couldn't even catch a pass on offense and I still don't know where everyone thinks his defense is good as he got abused on the defensive end last night; He just cannot play Miller in these games
Millers defense is not good. Overhyped

At one point we had a lot of fouls to give, and putting Miller in to slow down Pickett, even if he had to foul him, was a smart move to get our starters some rest.

You could see on one play where Pickett would have scored, Miller smartly fouled him before he could start his shot motion. It was only like the 5th foul of the half, so PSU had to restart their offense on that possession.

Another factor relating to playing time could be how guys do at practice. If Miller or Wolf had good practices, Pike might reward them with PT. Only Pike knows the reasons for the so called "strange" patterns. Fans have no idea.
100% It's fun for us to guess and chat about this stuff, but the coaches have 10x more information to make decisions with than we do.

Reactions: goru7
Hawk as I wrote in BAC's recap thread in listening to the postgame Aundre when interviewed said he was sick/under the weather for the last two games; I am wondering if Cam is battling through something like that as you know there has been so much crap going around not all Covid of course and maybe that is why Pike sat him the last 15 minutes of the game? just a thought
Cam is tight with his shot & pressing.

Cam is tight with his shot & pressing.
Dad as I said I am sure no one except Pike and his teammates probably knew that Hyatt was sick but he gutted it out and maybe Cam is the same lets hope for a breakout(or back to normal) game in Iowa on Sunday
PS look at men's soccer 2 very impressive transfers!!

Cliff rest was timed perfect...knew the TV timeout was coming up and could get cliff extra breather based on that to keep him fresh

Reactions: RU205
In fairness to Miller, no one has really stopped Pickett all year (except Caleb for the most part)
I think the bar for Miller was "play better defense than Simpson" and that got Miller a few minutes of PT.

agree that at times the team on the court looked not so strong offensively.... which happens when you rest 2 or 3 of the normally higher scoring players at the same time

there was one point in the game, when we were ahead by five or so, I said to my wife, this is where we are trying to give them the lead..... jokingly of course....

but the team on the court didn't look like it would be a favorable matchup for any length of time

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Are they actually strange? Or do they just annoy fans who freak out every time non-starters are in because they are worse than the starters?
Yep, no one here has Pike’s credentials or results and most never coached nor played D1 basketball yet they know better. If we were still a dumpster fire program I’d get it, but we’re not, so just get on the Andy Katz driven bus and enjoy the ride.

He could have been under the weather, but the main reason was Hyatt was playing so well.

Some of you people are unbelievable. One of the best wins of the season, and we have to tear someone down, ALL THE TIME. Absolutely nothing wrong with playing Miller! The team looked exhausted at MSU - maybe more of them were sick than we know. It's a long season. People complain when the bench plays, people complain when they don't. It's insane. Miller is fine, and he's not going to improve without PT. Unreal

In the case of Cliff, he is expecting to come out for a blow at min 15 in the first half and typically min 12 in the second half....unless fouls derail that plan. Helps to keep you running if you know when your break is coming. Big men in general tend to foul more when they're tired so it makes sense to get Cliff a good break in the first half.

Pike clearly went with the sturdier bodies against PSU last night. Pickett was abusing our guards in the paint. Simpson and Cam didn't fit last night. Hyatt getting extra minutes last night (sturdier body) over Magg worked as well.

Last edited:
Some of you people are unbelievable. One of the best wins of the season, and we have to tear someone down, ALL THE TIME. Absolutely nothing wrong with playing Miller! The team looked exhausted at MSU - maybe more of them were sick than we know. It's a long season. People complain when the bench plays, people complain when they don't. It's insane. Miller is fine, and he's not going to improve without PT. Unreal
^This x 1,000

Miller may be a great for chemistry and a great scout team guy. But to say he is “fine” is not being honest. He is a liability offensively and I don’t see any great things defensively. I’ve seen a good enough sample size over the last few seasons. Conversely, I’d rather see Simpson take a few lumps and just leave him out there.

Yep, no one here has Pike’s credentials or results and most never coached nor played D1 basketball yet they know better. If we were still a dumpster fire program I’d get it, but we’re not, so just get on the Andy Katz driven bus and enjoy the ride.
It’s ok to question it a bit while sitting there and still trust his judgment

It really doesn’t matter who Pike subs into the game, the bottom line is when Caleb is on the bench the defense suffers by a considerable margin, even with Cliff in the game …he’s that good.
That said, the man needs a blow every now and then.

The most concerning issue with substitutions is the impact on offense and defense.For many prior games the lack of bench scoring has been a serious problem and has resulted in so many nail biter games decided by five or less points.The defense also takes a hit when the starters aren't on the court.

There is a rather simple reason for the “strange” substitution patterns……the season is a marathon not a sprint. Among travel time, a grueling schedule, injuries, sickness……there has to be a bench where even the least used players have some experience in crunch time.

I liked subbing Cliff around the 16:00 minute mark in both halves. I think it's a great way to keep him fresh and give Woolfolk some minutes.

We really need to get more out of Simpson, Woolfolk and maybe Reiber.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT