ADVERTISEMENT

The strange substitution patterns

I did not follow Cam's defense last night, but do not recall him getting beat often. To me the curious situation was giving Miller minutes while Cam was sitting a lot in the 2nd. Perhaps Cam was cold on offense, but still higher then Miller. Cam also generally an above average defender, especially against a small line-up like Penn State had out there.
Knight was furious with him at the end of the 1st half I believe. Knight is very passionate and could make a good head coach sometimes. It might suit him better to not show his emotions as much. I have zero concerns about it from a RU standpoint just would hate to see it influence any chances at a future job. I love how Pike allows him to coach and I love how passionate Knight is. It seems he has a great relationship with the players.

As for substitutions………..

Right now
1. Our bench play is terrible
2. We have to rest our starters

Until we get better bench play no susbstiutions will look good.

We HAVE to use the bench. We HAVE to rest our starters. We were asking a ton from Mag Caleb and Paul last night.

I hear the arguments all the time about other teams playing their starters X amount of minutes. How did those players do against Pickett and Funk? What was their effort in stopping them?

Reactions: gregkoko

Right now

We HAVE to use the bench. We HAVE to rest our starters. We were asking a ton from Mag Caleb and Paul last night.

I hear the arguments all the time about other teams playing their starters X amount of minutes. How did those players do against Pickett and Funk? What was their effort in stopping them?
In fairness we have one sub, Hyatt and Mag are used interchangeably and together

I questioned Pike’s strange substitutions (a recurring theme over the years)at one point last night. It worked in one sense as our starters (plus Hyatt) won going away as they were fresh. But I did have an issue with Cliff going out so early in the first half- he was dominating and we bring in Woolfolk?

Also, while Pike might have been sending Simpson a message, Miller was a minus on the floor last night. We know he does nothing offensively and he is overrated defensively- and bringing him in at the end of the half when he’s not even warm?

In the end, it’s all moot because we won and won handily. I am very happy. Other than the substitutions at times, Pike coached a great game.
You are so lost as a poster and have zero credibility. You also show by your posts you know next to nothing about basketball. The Miller substitution at the end of the half was because we only had 5 team fouls. They had 9.7 seconds. Unfortunately , Miller got caught on a screen and instead of him fouling Pickett, Caleb had to do it with 5 seconds left as he was driving. I was yelling because it was Caleb’s second and sure enough he picked up his third early in the second half and had to sit which cost us because Pickett went off until Caleb returned. Miller screwed up not Pike.
Now if you want to have an intelligent debate about subbing 3 of our guys at the 15 minute mark after they get off to a good start instead of waiting for the under 12 timeout that is good discussion with many thinking , like me , he should wait and others saying we need our bench to produce if we are going to go to the top., that is fair game. Also can he make 1 sub at a time 2 minutes apart instead of all 3 together , another interesting discussion.
You just have bad takes and lack insight into how a coach operates and just question everything about Pike since you have been posting about Pike for the last 2-3 years. It is time for you to give it up or join into a rational discussion over debatable issues not the hogwash you post. Fans like you just suck as posters.

Right now

the only fairly equal swap, is Mag for Hyatt, or Hyatt for Mag

both have had their moments, and we fans should not be concerned when one comes in for the other.... other subs are probably a drop off.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
In fairness we have one sub, Hyatt and Mag are used interchangeably and together
Mag needs 8 minutes of rest
Caleb needs 8 minutes of rest
Cliff needs 8 minutes of rest
Paul needs 6 minutes of rest
Calm needs 6 minutes of rest

That is 36 bench minutes bare minimum. We need 2nd half Hyatt, we need Indiana Simpson and we need OOC Woolfolk. Once we win 1 or 2 more games (not Minny or NEB wins) these minute restrictions can't be negotiable.

You are so lost as a poster and have zero credibility. You also show by your posts you know next to nothing about basketball. The Miller substitution at the end of the half was because we only had 5 team fouls. They had 9.7 seconds. Unfortunately , Miller got caught on a screen and instead of him fouling Pickett, Caleb had to do it with 5 seconds left as he was driving. I was yelling because it was Caleb’s second and sure enough he picked up his third early in the second half and had to sit which cost us because Pickett went off until Caleb returned. Miller screwed up not Pike.
Now if you want to have an intelligent debate about subbing 3 of our guys at the 15 minute mark after they get off to a good start instead of waiting for the under 12 timeout that is good discussion with many thinking , like me , he should wait and others saying we need our bench to produce if we are going to go to the top., that is fair game. Also can he make 1 sub at a time 2 minutes apart instead of all 3 together , another interesting discussion.
You just have bad takes and lack insight into how a coach operates and just question everything about Pike since you have been posting about Pike for the last 2-3 years. It is time for you to give it up or join into a rational discussion over debatable issues not the hogwash you post. Fans like you just suck as posters.
So putting your insults and rants aside, you basically agree with me on subbing while we are dominating at an early stage.
And why Miller instead of Simpson?

Reactions: zebnatto
the only fairly equal swap, is Mag for Hyatt, or Hyatt for Mag

both have had their moments, and we fans should not be concerned when one comes in for the other.... other subs are probably a drop off.
There is a HUGE drop off when Hyatt comes in for Mag. The defense completely changes. Let's see a few games where we can trust Hyatt's decisions on offense and a few games were Pike's scheduled substiutions arent altered by Hyatt's play on the defensive end.

Hyatt looked improved early in the season and has gone in to a long funk on both ends since then. Let's hope his 2nd half is the start of a long stretch where there isnt a drop off when he comes in to the game.

There is a HUGE drop off when Hyatt comes in for Mag. The defense completely changes. Let's see a few games where we can trust Hyatt's decisions on offense and a few games were Pike's scheduled substiutions arent altered by Hyatt's play on the defensive end.

Hyatt looked improved early in the season and has gone in to a long funk on both ends since then. Let's hope his 2nd half is the start of a long stretch where there isnt a drop off when he comes in to the game.
So what’s the alternative? Play the starting 5 for 40 minutes? You’d think we lost by 40. Pike puts in who he thinks is best. Watch his big ten network piece. He jokes about how he has 5000 assistant coaches who know better than him.

yes, but as we see Hyatt has his moments, yesterday
offensively.....will not question that Mags is better
defensively......but when we put Hyatt in I usually feel that we
may not have a total drop off in play if Hyatt can score

IMO it is our least drop off swap, you may disagree, which is fine

So what’s the alternative? Play the starting 5 for 40 minutes? You’d think we lost by 40. Pike puts in who he thinks is best. Watch his big ten network piece. He jokes about how he has 5000 assistant coaches who know better than him.
I think I have made it clear what I want to see. Hyatt, Simpson and Wolf play through mistakes and risk losing games at the expense of staying fresh.

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
yes, but as we see Hyatt has his moments, yesterday
offensively.....will not question that Mags is better
defensively......but when we put Hyatt in I usually feel that we
may not have a total drop off in play if Hyatt can score

IMO it is our least drop off swap, you may disagree, which is fine
I agree completely

I think I have made it clear what I want to see. Hyatt, Simpson and Wolf play through mistakes and risk losing games at the expense of staying fresh.
We’d loose a lot more games at end due to sheer exhaustion.

Mag needs 8 minutes of rest
Caleb needs 8 minutes of rest
Cliff needs 8 minutes of rest
Paul needs 6 minutes of rest
Calm needs 6 minutes of rest

That is 36 bench minutes bare minimum. We need 2nd half Hyatt, we need Indiana Simpson and we need OOC Woolfolk. Once we win 1 or 2 more games (not Minny or NEB wins) these minute restrictions can't be negotiable.
Can should be plenty well rested for Iowa. I look for a breakout game from him.

I had no problem with it. It wasn't good but you need to play your bench. Those guys need to develop and your starters need to stay fresh as the season progresses.

Reactions: gigantor1024
i wonder about there health, i would not be surprised if simpson or cam have been sick, tis the season
also not sure why reiber did not play any minutes. he has been playing better of late and that team does not have a true big.

Dad as I said I am sure no one except Pike and his teammates probably knew that Hyatt was sick but he gutted it out and maybe Cam is the same lets hope for a breakout(or back to normal) game in Iowa on Sunday
PS look at men's soccer 2 very impressive transfers!!
Dentist, check out his release--not smooth, tight. Shot is harder. And yes let's hole he breaks the ice at Iowa. Need him.
Will check out the soccer transfers. Thanks.

Reactions: richthedentist
i wonder about there health, i would not be surprised if simpson or cam have been sick, tis the season
also not sure why reiber did not play any minutes. he has been playing better of late and that team does not have a true big.
I’ve read more about sickness and injuries this year than all the previous years combined

How about this one.
Paul and Caleb are NEVER allowed to be on the bench at the same time.😊
So you want Caleb on the exercise bike?
What about with 20 seconds to go in the 1st half when he have 4 fouls to give? (my only Pike pet peeve)

Reactions: zappaa
Only Pike knows the reasons for the so called "strange" patterns. Fans have no idea.
This. We're missing too much information.

Like everyone, I sometimes don't understand why certain decisions are made. But even in those moments, I know that the coaching staff are making perfectly good decisions and I'm just wondering what it is that we don't know that informed the decision(s). I trust the coaches.

Last edited:
Miller may be a great for chemistry and a great scout team guy. But to say he is “fine” is not being honest. He is a liability offensively and I don’t see any great things defensively. I’ve seen a good enough sample size over the last few seasons. Conversely, I’d rather see Simpson take a few lumps and just leave him out there.
So, I'm normally not very aggressive about stating an opinion (unless I'm messing with someone, which is not the case here). But you're wrong here.

If Pike played Miller over Simpson, then he had good reasons to do so making it the correct thing to do. You (along with the rest of us) lack the necessary information to be second guessing the coaching staff about subs.

The coaches can all see exactly the same stuff you see. Yet they made a difference choice. We can speculate about why, that's reasonable. But declaring that the coaching staff was wrong when we don't have even half the information they did is just silly.

I’ve read more about sickness and injuries this year than all the previous years combined
I’ll speak for myself and those close to me. Due to this COVID world we have been not as exposed to germs. Therefore I caught a stomach virus at Halloween and a cold from my granddaughter at Christmas that absolutely knocked me on my ass. Never before had that happened. I’m not alone.

Always tough with lineups. Up until Hyatt scored 8 in a row he was not having a great game. Guys cant play every minute and Pikell has what he has. People complain about Miller but simpson hasnt been great either

So putting your insults and rants aside, you basically agree with me on subbing while we are dominating at an early stage.
And why Miller instead of Simpson?
No one agrees with you as there are reasons that Coach knows that you know crap about. You never mentioned the 3 subs at the same time at the 15 mark , Idid. But the starters need rest , how that is accomplished is up for debate. You just want him to never sub and when a sub plays badly , you say haha I am right. You analyze too shallow without thinking there are other reasons. You never see the big picture.
Miller is supposedly a better defender than Derek and if you have not noticed Derek has hit the freshman wall and acted like a freshman lately. Maybe that is Pike ‘s reason. Miller can and is capable of playing better offensively and defensively and maybe Pike saw that in practice and decided to take a shot.

Cam needs set plays and open looks
Long one leg fade aways is not the ideal shot to break out of a mini slump
Sub Cam in for EVERY baseline out of bounds play - he has a knack for hitting that catch and shoot midrange there - good way for him to get rolling

Reactions: goru7
I questioned Pike’s strange substitutions (a recurring theme over the years)at one point last night. It worked in one sense as our starters (plus Hyatt) won going away as they were fresh. But I did have an issue with Cliff going out so early in the first half- he was dominating and we bring in Woolfolk?

Also, while Pike might have been sending Simpson a message, Miller was a minus on the floor last night. We know he does nothing offensively and he is overrated defensively- and bringing him in at the end of the half when he’s not even warm?

In the end, it’s all moot because we won and won handily. I am very happy. Other than the substitutions at times, Pike coached a great game.
Pikes been pushing all the right buttons for awhile , I’m ok with him doing what he feels is best for the team even though it may not seem like it to the average fan in the stands.

Reactions: Yeah Baby

Mag is a defensive beast but if it’s just one for one it’s not a HUGE drop off. It is huge when Cliff goes off all due respect to his backups and it is huge when Caleb goes out. When we have any 2 of Mag, Cliff and Caleb out it is of course huge. Offense is usually a little better with options from Simpson and Hyatt when they are on. This team is built around D so I think we are seeing different sub patterns to find ways to get guys rest as you said earlier. I think Hyatt has been playing better D of late and that is why we see him on the court more and more. And it’s not just what he does on his guy. Cam and Paul see the floor really well and anticipate the offense which compliments the beastly defensive efforts by Cliff, Caleb and Mag.

On one play Cliff defended 3 players including Pickett, dropped to the post and ran out and altered a 3 point shot. He’s a beast.

Miller is not overrated defensively. He was brought in for Defense, as we were struggling off the dribble on the permiter, but he was too cold and blew a play on offense and then again on D and pike pulled him.

I actually said to someone "Pike needs to put Miller in" just before he did, and then said "Ah shit take him out" just before he did lol. No joke.

I did not follow Cam's defense last night, but do not recall him getting beat often. To me the curious situation was giving Miller minutes while Cam was sitting a lot in the 2nd. Perhaps Cam was cold on offense, but still higher then Miller. Cam also generally an above average defender, especially against a small line-up like Penn State had out there.

It was Spencer's defense, coupled with being cold...Hyatt actually took some of his minutes and Caleb shifted to the back court, hyatt was in with Mag

Some of you people are unbelievable. One of the best wins of the season, and we have to tear someone down, ALL THE TIME. Absolutely nothing wrong with playing Miller! The team looked exhausted at MSU - maybe more of them were sick than we know. It's a long season. People complain when the bench plays, people complain when they don't. It's insane. Miller is fine, and he's not going to improve without PT. Unreal

It also seems some just really aren't picking up on certain aspects of what's happening on the court, and what certain players strengths and match ups are like.

Knight was furious with him at the end of the 1st half I believe. Knight is very passionate and could make a good head coach sometimes. It might suit him better to not show his emotions as much. I have zero concerns about it from a RU standpoint just would hate to see it influence any chances at a future job. I love how Pike allows him to coach and I love how passionate Knight is. It seems he has a great relationship with the players.
Who was knight furious with when?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT