ADVERTISEMENT

The tipping point

wrsu/74

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2001
It's amazing how things can change by a single event. If Grant makes a different Move and scores the touchdown without injury, RUTGERS probably goes on to win and Rutgers football is in a totally different place today. Everyone knows this but it is interesting to me.

Sorry that is a very bad Iowa team that we lost to at home. Not sure that winning would have really changed things all that much. Maybe our 'perception' of things would have been different, but we are going to get exposed for who we really are in the coming weeks - and this will not be good.

Sorry that is a very bad Iowa team that we lost to at home. Not sure that winning would have really changed things all that much. Maybe our 'perception' of things would have been different, but we are going to get exposed for who we really are in the coming weeks - and this will not be good.

Really?...beating Iowa in our B1G home opener wouldn't have made a bit of difference? It's unreal how clueless some fans are.

Last edited:
Yes Iowa might not be great but Rutgers would've beaten IOWA . RUTGERS BEATS IOWA, sounds pretty good when you repeat it a few times.

Reactions: soundcrib

"very bad". A Rose Bowl team that has 2/3 of their starters back. They are a solid team, not great, not bad.

Crawl back into your doghouse Saint Puppy ...you better believe a win against Iowa would have definitely been looked at in a positive light in this state and the media...whether Iowa is over rated or not ....they have been a long time established B1G team and won some very B1G games...like someone else said , "clueless".

:chairshot:

Crawl back into your doghouse Saint Puppy ...you better believe a win against Iowa would have definitely been looked at in a positive light in this state and the media...whether Iowa is over rated or not ....they have been a long time established B1G team and won some very B1G games...like someone else said , "clueless".

Remind me who Iowa played and did against them the week before? Just because the name 'Iowa' invokes a top 25 program doesn't mean that they are anywhere close to that. Iowa is a very poor team right now (who looked every bit of it yesterday) whether they have a lot of their players back from last year or not. Again all there would have been is a false bloated perception that we can beat the big boys. Any win is good, but I am under no delusion that yesterday was going to be a season changer. There was nothing I saw yesterday that I could hang my hat on for the future weeks. Who knows maybe I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but coming weeks will tell the story of this team and I don't think it's going to be a positive one.

Last edited:
It's amazing how things can change by a single event. If Grant makes a different Move and scores the touchdown without injury, RUTGERS probably goes on to win and Rutgers football is in a totally different place today. Everyone knows this but it is interesting to me.

"Totally different place" is a bit much.

One win wouldn't make that huge a difference. The biggest thing is we competed..which in itself is huge for the program

Listen, for whatever reason Iowa isn't "clicking" like they did last year, but that comment is just a "tad" off base. Also I'm pretty sure most here know what to expect in the coming weeks, anyway, so playing much better, more athletic programs, isn't exactly a surprise.

We will see how bad they are...

Listen, for whatever reason Iowa isn't "clicking" like they did last year, but that comment is just a "tad" off base. Also I'm pretty sure most here know what to expect in the coming weeks, anyway, so playing much better, more athletic programs, isn't exactly a surprise.

Not really sure how off base my comment really was - Iowa is a team that the week before just lost to North Dakota State. They then won by the skin of their teeth against us in a lackluster performance (a game that we had every opportunity in the world to win). Does Iowa have talent? Absolutely! Are they good football team right now? No way.

That is life, sometimes things don't bounce your way. Nothing you can do about it now other than keep marching on to the next game.

Beating Iowa would have been a big deal just like beating Michigan was. It doesn't matter if they are playing well or not, any win against a top team is always a big deal unless you are a elite team that plays for the NC every year and that is the only game that you care about.

That hasn't been us since about 1869.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Really?...beating Iowa in our B1G home opener wouldn't have made a bit of difference? It's unreal how clueless some fans are.

And Iowa is suddenly for sure a very bad team? Same Iowa that rolled through it conference schedule undefeated and went to a Rose Bowl last year, then ranked its way into the top 15? That Iowa?

Realize they don't look as good as last year, but a little early to be writing them off completely, just because they lost a close one to a good team in NDSU (yes, FCS, but the best of FCS and proven it can hold its own v FBS teams) and didn't roll us. Outside of the most optimistic fans, general consensus right up to the day before the game was us losing this one by 2+ TDs. But now, by holding it to one TD and having a chance for the win, we're worse than before? And winning the game wouldn't have changed our outlook?

Seriously, WTF is that guy talking about? Clueless is absolutely right.

Yes, it's unreal. Except he's not necessarily the wrong one. Remember we beat Michigan two seasons ago. Nobody in the universe except RU fans seem to remember, and the ones that do remember will give you any excuse they can as to why we won. It literally did nothing for RU's image and we were still considered to be cupcakes last season despite being declared the surprise team the year before. It's my opinion that the only thing that's really going to change the image is if we start upsetting ranked teams. If not, we'll just be known as a team that wins the games that we're suppose to win.

Not really sure how off base my comment really was - Iowa is a team that the week before just lost to North Dakota State. They then won by the skin of their teeth against us in a lackluster performance (a game that we had every opportunity in the world to win). Does Iowa have talent? Absolutely! Are they good football team right now? No way.

I think it's only fair for you to talk down Iowa if you posted PRIOR to the game something like
" Iowa isn't very good....people should take Rutgers and the points."
Did you ?

Yes, it's unreal. Except he's not necessarily the wrong one. Remember we beat Michigan two seasons ago. Nobody in the universe except RU fans seem to remember, and the ones that do remember will give you any excuse they can as to why we won. It literally did nothing for RU's image and we were still considered to be cupcakes last season despite being declared the surprise team the year before. It's my opinion that the only thing that's really going to change the image is if we start upsetting ranked teams. If not, we'll just be known as a team that wins the games that we're suppose to win.

Michigan was a sh1show that year. Iowa is not 2014 Michigan ... yet, anyway. Weren't we two-score underdogs in this one?

Beating ranked teams would help, but beating solid (not falling-apart-at-the-seams) B1G teams would also help, basically not being an automatic "W" for conference opponents. Oh yeah and not embarrassing ourselves by storming the field every time would be good, too.

Iowa is a team we should have beaten this weekend.

Willy Wonka himself doesn't have enough sugar to coat it.

I'll bet you're another that had us beating them before the game. What was your prediction again?
I don't think I mentioned my prediction anywhere, so I don't think it's really fair to you to make it an issue. I could tell you I had us winning the game. But I might be lying.

All I am saying is as I watched the game I realized that our squad had enough talent to play with that team. And we were in a position to win the game.

And the critical cog in our machine malfunctioned.

I don't think I mentioned my prediction anywhere, so I don't think it's really fair to you to make it an issue. I could tell you I had us winning the game. But I might be lying.

All I am saying is as I watched the game I realized that our squad had enough talent to play with that team. And we were in a position to win the game.

And the critical cog in our machine malfunctioned.

I know (or at least I didn't see it in the predictions thread), which is why I asked the question.

Yes we had enough talent to win the game and were in a position to do it. But so was Iowa. One team was going to win, and not surprisingly, it was the more talented team with an established coach and system, the one that played in a Rose Bowl last year.

Not sure why folks are so eager to spin it as some devastating loss when everyone had us losing worse, and those that didn't pretty much all qualified it as "I like to be optimistic". Yeah it sucked squandering opportunities, but we actually played better than anyone expected overall.

Not sure why folks are so eager to spin it as some devastating loss when everyone had us losing worse, and those that didn't pretty much all qualified it as "I like to be optimistic". Yeah it sucked squandering opportunities, but we actually played better than anyone expected overall.
Because in a season where it appears that conference wins are going to be tough to come by, being this close to beating the team with the "established coach and system, the one that played in a Rose Bowl last year" would have been quite a treat for our fans.

Instead, we have:
icecream-2.gif

True, the loss has turned some fans into the 4-yr-old girl who dropped her ice cream, on that much we agree :D

Reactions: miketd1
Michigan was a sh1show that year. Iowa is not 2014 Michigan ... yet, anyway. Weren't we two-score underdogs in this one?

Beating ranked teams would help, but beating solid (not falling-apart-at-the-seams) B1G teams would also help, basically not being an automatic "W" for conference opponents. Oh yeah and not embarrassing ourselves by storming the field every time would be good, too.

Yes it was. But Iowa's play thus far does not inspire any confidence. If they don't pick it up, then we could be saying Iowa '16 was a sh1tshow as well.

We should have beaten Iowa?

Iowa is a very good team that is playing poorly right now. I think it is more accurate to say Iowa should have beaten us by more. The self hate on here is incredible. If you can't see that we played better, I don't now what game you were watching. I dont care who we were playing...we played better football, period.

Its funny. When i saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be positive. I look at this game as a potential tipping point for this program. Yes. the next 2 weeks will be tough. But we moved the ball against a solid team without our best player and played solid defense. I'm hoping we can build off of this. If we can play defense, the days of 4-5 blowouts per year are over.

Last edited:
We should have beaten Iowa?

Iowa is a very good team that is playing poorly right now. I think it is more accurate to say Iowa should have beaten us by more. The self hate on here is incredible. If you can't see that we played better, I don't now what game you were watching. I dont care who we were playing...we played better football, period.
This sounds a lot like self hate if you ask me.

Its funny. When i saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be positive. I look at this game as a potential tipping point for this program. Yes. the next 2 weeks will be tough. But we moved the ball against a solid team without our best player and played solid defense. I'm hoping we can build off of this. If we can play defense, the days of 4-5 upsets per year are over.
Were we ever upset 5 times in one season?

ADVERTISEMENT