ADVERTISEMENT

The Virus & Recruiting

albanyknight

Heisman Winner
Feb 4, 2004
Bethlehem, New York
A whole bunch of commitments the past couple of weeks.

Now I don't know if this would of happened minus the pandemic, but I can't help but think that this virus is having both the recruits and their families re-thinking where is the best place to spend the next four years.

I'm guessing that as much as Greg Schiano is in the process of changing the narrative of RU football, the meaning of home is taking on a new meaning. I think we are all developing a greater appreciation for things that we may have of taken for granted; home, family, proximity to your support system etc.

Let's all pray that comes September, the season goes on w/o delay and we all can watch the Scarlet Knights get back to winning football.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
HOW CORONAVIRUS PLAYED AN ASSIST

Pikiell and assistant Brandin Knight worked hard to keep Omoruyi at home and they may have gotten an assist from the coronavirus pandemic.

Omoruyi, who was born in Nigeria, said the coronavirus helped him make the decision to stay close to home to Roselle Catholic, where has played for three years, as opposed to going halfway or all the way across the country.

“The coronavirus helped me with my decision because it made me realize I don’t want to go too far away and be away from the people that care about me,” he said.

Even before the Virus, I have tried my best to share this type of thought with player families.
My son stayed home and there were times he got hurt and either needed to be brought to the hospital or just taken out a game not to return the 2nd half or maybe even just on the sideline getting some care outside the view of the cameras...Worst feeling ever was when he was playing in L'Ville and we didn't make the trip. Just before half at the goal line, he doesnt get up from the pile and was just laying there. they cut to commercial and when they came back, game was back on with no mention and we could not see him on the sideline. We spent the next couple of hours calling every parent we knew who may have made the trip with no luck and had no idea what happened until a couple of hours after the game when they cleared him and he was able to call.
There were maybe 1-2 away games at most we didnt make each year. I couldnt imagine if you could only be at 1 or 2 games. At all other times, we were either there or if it were practice, only a hour away.
A friend of mine who had a son go out to Cali to play. One of the first things he had to do was find a surrogate player family to be there for his son if something happened to inform them and maybe be at his side until family could get out there which was usually between 24-48 hours at best.
There are many other reasons but during this time in the world, this becaomes even more important

Even before the Virus, I have tried my best to share this type of thought with player families.
My son stayed home and there were times he got hurt and either needed to be brought to the hospital or just taken out a game not to return the 2nd half or maybe even just on the sideline getting some care outside the view of the cameras...Worst feeling ever was when he was playing in L'Ville and we didn't make the trip. Just before half at the goal line, he doesnt get up from the pile and was just laying there. they cut to commercial and when they came back, game was back on with no mention and we could not see him on the sideline. We spent the next couple of hours calling every parent we knew who may have made the trip with no luck and had no idea what happened until a couple of hours after the game when they cleared him and he was able to call.
There were maybe 1-2 away games at most we didnt make each year. I couldnt imagine if you could only be at 1 or 2 games. At all other times, we were either there or if it were practice, only a hour away.
A friend of mine who had a son go out to Cali to play. One of the first things he had to do was find a surrogate player family to be there for his son if something happened to inform them and maybe be at his side until family could get out there which was usually between 24-48 hours at best.
There are many other reasons but during this time in the world, this becaomes even more important

Thanks for sharing . Many of us just see college football as just fun and games . I can’t imagine the pressure these kids are under and their families .

Distance can be an issue for young people. I didn't go home often when I was at Colorado. I missed it a lot around the holidays. Sitting in my apartment alone for Thanksgiving while the local teammates when home for 2 or 3 days. I was invited by several of them and even by Coach Gerry DiNardo, but it's not the same.

Distance can be an issue for young people. I didn't go home often when I was at Colorado. I missed it a lot around the holidays. Sitting in my apartment alone for Thanksgiving while the local teammates when home for 2 or 3 days. I was invited by several of them and even by Coach Gerry DiNardo, but it's not the same.

In line with both of what you guys said--our son, who is not an athlete decided to go to RU instead of UCLA, and we are grateful that he made that decision. This has been reinforced by the pandemic. Think that many prospective students and student athletes may re-evaluate staying close to home and family in view of the pandemic.

We spent the next couple of hours calling every parent we knew who may have made the trip with no luck and had no idea what happened until a couple of hours after the game when they cleared him and he was able to call.
I think it should be part of the protocol of the staff to have the ability to contact parents not at the game in a timely fashion with an update. It really isn't that difficult and it just shows another layer of caring for another family's child.

I think it should be part of the protocol of the staff to have the ability to contact parents not at the game in a timely fashion with an update. It really isn't that difficult and it just shows another layer of caring for another family's child.

Under law, they can't have that protocall- the players are mostly over 18.

But you are correct...Our son had already signed a HIPPA waiver to allow them to contact us directly for anything pertaining to his health. They could easily have a GA or someone else available for updates. At least(non-medical) updates or give the player the phone.

ADVERTISEMENT