ADVERTISEMENT

The Word is Out

We adjusted to the high pick and roll pretty well in the 2nd half against Michigan

I thought it was a very good post and I agree that we need to change things up a bit and show different looks. We give up quite a few wide open looks from 3

I think the post in its entirety was pretty fair, but I'll focus on this. Thru our first 20 or so games our defense on the pick and roll was elite. Then Zavier Simpson happened. And Coach Collins clearly watched the UM tape because Northwestern slipped that pick and roll pretty effectively as well.

I am not certain how you "retrain" a team's fundamental defensive principles in the midst of a terrific run, but I am watching how we defend the high screen and roll closely. It is quite possible, as @Good-Knight astutely points out, that our defense of the high screen has begun to become less effective than it was.

That is the one area I would agree. Our philosphy doesn't need to change even though we mix it up from time to time. Simpson was a perfect example. I was screaming all game stop hedging hard to that kid. I would like to see us play kids like that straight up. Make him beat one of our quick guards like Tez off the dribble and preferably finish. That is the weakest part of his game.

Hedging hard allowing him to keep his dribble and pass to uneven numbers was creating offense for them. Offense that led to dunks, not forcing three pointers.

Defense is designed to give up something. Preferably, in college basketball, forcing a team to make a shit load of threes is the lowest percentage you can force them to do. I love Pike's D.

Reactions: RutgHoops
ADVERTISEMENT