ADVERTISEMENT

There’s early talk that Rutgers is going to play ball with the Big Ten big boys, including...

Will the Rutgers administration and the BOG be willing to pay that much? How much can be expected from donors? I think the pot is unlikely to be that much, but I'm willing to be surprised.

$4 million for Greg and $5 Million for assistants.

Note coaches on hot seat and/or failing all have experience:
Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Justin Fuente at Va. Tech.
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart
SOLD!
You win this thread.

How can chad Morris be on the hot seat?? Not even 1 1/2 seasons in...

Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart
Please explain. I'm missing the point.

If Rutgers had 4 mill for a HC - and gave it to Greg Schiano - they would deserve every blowout loss that's coming.. I wouldn't even be upset - it'd just be funny at that point

Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart

If Rutgers had 4 mill for a HC - and gave it to Greg Schiano - they would deserve every blowout loss that's coming.. I wouldn't even be upset - it'd just be funny at that point
You’re part of the problem. Stop the loser mentality and get behind the program including the HC and QB whoever they may be come September.

Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart
You forgot Jones.

He's still getting paid by Tenn...save money there and plow into assistants. Miles got less than 3M and he's a national champion. Then when it runs out give Jones 3M and have 6M for assistants. Then maybe you could have co-DCs both with some ability. Like say a Brown plus a Fuller from Memphis or Howell from UVA or Heacock at ISU. That might be enough to get a Bedenbaugh type too. I like to dream lol.

Reactions: mildone and Wolv RU
Hire outside search firm... Big dog budget rumors appear. Hmmm.
Well the rumors on coaching salary were already posted here before the search firm was hired and that figure was even higher than the 4... the assistant pool is new info though....hopefully it's all true.

Reactions: OJRutgers
Thamel mentioned wanting prior experience and pretty much everyone here does too but actually having the strong assistant budget allows you to open up the field more if anything.

If you think that coordinator (first time HC) is worthy it gives a little bit of security blanket to surround that guy with a great staff and make the jump easier. It gives you the budget to hire a guy like Kevin Wilson (strong OC/former B10 HC) as mentor or some other former coaches in some sort of position coach/AHC job. If the surrounding staff is good the transition is easier.

Look at Orgeron...inherited Aranda...fouled up 2 OCs but then discovered with recommendation Joe Brady and he's done well now even though I don't think much of him as x/o guy or what not.

Reactions: MoobyCow
You forgot Jones.

He's still getting paid by Tenn...save money there and plow into assistants. Miles got less than 3M and he's a national champion. Then when it runs out give Jones 3M and have 6M for assistants. Then maybe you could have co-DCs both with some ability. Like say a Brown plus a Fuller from Memphis or Howell from UVA or Heacock at ISU. That might be enough to get a Bedenbaugh type too. I like to dream lol.
It is likely that Jones’ contract contains offset language, meaning that what he makes at a new job reduces what Tennessee owes him by an equal amount, so you don’t save anything by hiring him.

It is likely that Jones’ contract contains offset language, meaning that what he makes at a new job reduces what Tennessee owes him by an equal amount, so you don’t save anything by hiring him.
Of course I’m saying you pay him less than what he’s owed at first and then when that runs out you can pay him more up to 3-3.5M. He’s accepting 35k now... pay him 1M and let Tenn foot the rest up to the 2.5 or whatever he’s owed for however long. That’s what USF did with Strong and what UCF did with Shannon and what someone if smart will do with Ash.

In an article with Feldman in the Athletic IIRC outside of us his name is tied to mid major schools like the MAC and other G5 not the P5. I’ve said before I think most of these fired former coaches are amenable to it if it means more support for assistants as really all they want is a chance to coach again and win... as opposed to looking for another big payday. ADs have to be smart enough to approach it like that though as opposed to typical OTM.

He said that the night we beat Louisville.
Amazing we filled the stadium and had the respect of college football fans everywhere.

And what happened the next week? One of Schiano's many wtf games. Can't rest on one game from 13 years ago forever.

Why would we want to hire someone who is failing at another school?
Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post.
Thamel said $4 million for head coach (Greg is favorite) and $5 Million for assistants.

The list of coaches in my post are current head coaches who are listed as failing and/or on the hot seat. They were not presented as and not intended to be presented as candidates for the Rutgers head coach job.

There’s early talk that Rutgers is going to play ball with the Big Ten big boys, including a coaching salary in the neighborhood of...

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...-in-danger-of-losing-their-job-041849433.html
The thing that would really interest me is Hobbs going to Delaney and saying:

... look, the conference may be squeezing an extra $10MM or so a year out of us with this graduated entry, but it's bad for the Big Ten and it's REALLY bad for Rutgers. We've made big capital commitments - as you can see - and the Big Ten has already realized the benefits of the DMA footprint in the most recent TV contract, so whaddya say we rewrite this sh**ty deal and make us full, legit members of the conference. It's not like there's an asterisk next to 'Rutgers' in the Big Ten standings, denoting that we're only getting a third of the member revenue.

I have no delusions about Delaney giving up the Big Ten's advantage in that deal, but I would love to see Hobbs confront the conference and get them to admit that they're the ones who end up losing as a result of us not being able to find (or fund) our way to competing in football.

... look, the conference may be squeezing an extra $10MM or so a year out of us with this graduated entry, but it's bad for the Big Ten and it's REALLY bad for Rutgers. We've made big capital commitments - as you can see - and the Big Ten has already realized the benefits of the DMA footprint in the most recent TV contract, so whaddya say we rewrite this sh**ty deal and make us full, legit members of the conference. It's not like there's an asterisk next to 'Rutgers' in the Big Ten standings, denoting that we're only getting a third of the member revenue.

I have no delusions about Delaney giving up the Big Ten's advantage in that deal, but I would love to see Hobbs confront the conference and get them to admit that they're the ones who end up losing as a result of us not being able to find (or fund) our way to competing in football.
I'm sure he's had plenty of such discussions with the conference. It appears the best he could get out of them was a huge loan.

Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart

Why the hell would we pay $4M for Schiano? He has no other teams looking to hire him.

do you arbitrarily pay double the price when shopping for things nobody else wants?

Not happening. Much of the money held back for RU and Maryland goes to our buy in for the BTN.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Delaney might just respond with “hire this coach or continue to suffer”. Much like the nfl did to the giants when they hired George young.

Because he rebuilt us from an abyss once before.
I think this current rebuild is more challenging.
And we aren’t paying him...Rutgers is.
It's less challenging. Facilities are leaps and bounds better than in 2001.
Need coaches who can recruit, develop and coach players. It's what good coaches are supposed to do.

Will the Rutgers administration and the BOG be willing to pay that much? How much can be expected from donors? I think the pot is unlikely to be that much, but I'm willing to be surprised.
No, administration will veto anything above 3 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT