ADVERTISEMENT

There’s early talk that Rutgers is going to play ball with the Big Ten big boys, including...

Funny that it takes Pete Thamel to get some of you guys to realize that Hobbs, Barchi, and The BOG, DO NOT plan on keeping the checkbooks closed this time. One would have thought - as a few of us pointed out multiple times - that the $8M in buyouts would have made everyone realize that wouldn’t be the case lol [cheers]

This talk about having significant money for coaches, along with the mention in the Ventura article that Norvell was on their short list for Kansas St, convinces me even more that he is who Rutgers should be after.

I know people think he is destined for the SEC or ACC, but $4 million would be more than much of the SEC and all but two ACC schools are paying their HCs, so it would definitely be worth a shot.

This talk about having significant money for coaches, along with the mention in the Ventura article that Norvell was on their short list for Kansas St, convinces me even more that he is who Rutgers should be after.

I know people think he is destined for the SEC or ACC, but $4 million would be more than much of the SEC and all but two ACC schools are paying their HCs, so it would definitely be worth a shot.
Yes and have the budget to add Brown alongside Fuller. :WideSmile: Don't wake me up if it's a dream lol.

good news. We will be able to hire the best available coaches with that budget.

it can move Rutgers from a stepping stone job to a destination job.

With the big assistants salary you can get ex head coaches as assistants

Do you really want Rutgers to only win 8 games a year?

Please make this happen.

I missed this thread posted a dupe. It's good news if true. Maybe then can pull Fran Brown from Temple for whomever the coach is.

Depending on the candidate I'd say go 3M for coach and 6M for assistants.
Pay for the Best Staff Possible. Any HC that knows the game well,would be a great success here by allowing his Coordinators to do their thing.

I am pretty sure was navy we beat to become bowl eligible. Fans stormed the field that game. But I am old and maybe forgot. I think I was there lol
That's true, but we still needed the win vs. Cincy to seal the deal to Arizona, I believe. And don't forget, many of us long-time fans had PTSD from the Cincy loss during the Graber era, which likely killed any hope of a bowl bid.

I don’t care about the year, I care about the rebuild.
That article also points out Ash is probably a damn good coach... damn good coaches fail miserably here....this is RUTGERS.
GS performed a miracle

Well whether he is a good coach or not is TBD. I think coaching 5 stars with 5 stars as backups makes most coaches look good. More room for failure. When you are coaching 2 and 3 stars you have to be a great coach. NO room for failure.

Article said “committed to a process” which is code word for Schiano is our guy.

There’s early talk that Rutgers is going to play ball with the Big Ten big boys, including a coaching salary in the neighborhood of...

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...-in-danger-of-losing-their-job-041849433.html
Ugh. Yet another reference to mythical "NJ ties", the tangible benefits of which nobody can define. Are these ties people? Or are they some prior history of having lived in the state?

And how does this mythical concept cause players from around the nation to choose RU? Or is the expectation that, because a coach has a couple friends among high-school coaches in NJ and knows a good pizza when he eats it, we'll suddenly get enough NJ players with multiple P5 offers to to fill up our 2 deep at all 22 positions on the field?

Reactions: RUPete and MoobyCow
$4 million for Greg and $5 Million for assistants.

Note coaches on hot seat and/or failing all have experience:
Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Justin Fuente at Va. Tech.
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart
$4M for Schiano would be grounds for firing Hobbs, IMO. And I am skeptical Schiano could attract assistants that warranted $5M in total salary right now.

$2.5M + incentives for Schiano and let's see who he recruit as assistants before we spend a fortune on them.

You’re part of the problem. Stop the loser mentality and get behind the program including the HC and QB whoever they may be come September.
Paying Schiano $4M is being behind the coach; not being behind the program. If we cannot find someone better willing to come here, someone actually worth $4M, then fine, bring Schiano in at a reasonable $2.5 + incentives.

Anything else is truly a loser mentality that puts nostalgic worship over the well-being of the football program and university as a whole.

Reactions: MoobyCow
What happened in 2005 when we whipped Cincinnati to become bowl eligible
BRG's point was that any respect we got from one big win evaporated the next week when we had a big loss. And he's exactly right about that.

No sports team gains any real respect from a couple/few big wins. You need to win consistently and be competitive in the losses. Then you earn the respect of your peers. Anything less is just homerism and of course our own fans are going to have respect.

Because he rebuilt us from an abyss once before.
I think this current rebuild is more challenging.
And we aren’t paying him...Rutgers is.
So pay him $2.5 + 1.5 in incentives. If he's so great, he'll still get the $4M. If he's not, then we're not pissing money down the drain.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Ugh. Yet another reference to mythical "NJ ties", the tangible benefits of which nobody can define. Are these ties people? Or are they some prior history of having lived in the state?

And how does this mythical concept cause players from around the nation to choose RU? Or is the expectation that, because a coach has a couple friends among high-school coaches in NJ and knows a good pizza when he eats it, we'll suddenly get enough NJ players with multiple P5 offers to to fill up our 2 deep at all 22 positions on the field?

When NJ HS coaches have said in the past that they want ppl who understand NJ in order to get better access to their players, that's a pretty good indication of the need to have NJ ties.

Reactions: knightinaz
Somebody send Schaino's phone number to Hobbs so he can save the $88,000 he plans to spend on a coaching search firm.
This site needs a Don't Like option. I'm not advocating against Schiano (he might be the best choice) but I do want the search firm and Hobbs to come up with the best choice. We can't screw this up again.

Last edited:
When NJ HS coaches have said in the past that they want ppl who understand NJ in order to get better access to their players, that's a pretty good indication of the need to have NJ ties.
You have links to direct quotes of coaches saying that? I don't doubt that you've seen or read something that states that coaches said that. I just doubt that (a) it actually happened or (b) if it did happen, that the coach really means it.

What high-school coach is going to prevent a player from going to RU, if the coach believes going to RU is in the kid's best interest, just because the RU coach doesn't "understand NJ"? If there is any such coach, then that coach is a serious asshole who puts his wacky biases ahead of the well-being of his players.

And we can't be hiring a coach because some high-school coaches might be wacky assholes.

Most high-school coaches in NJ and anywhere else want to do what they think is best for their players. You think any high school coach in NJ is going to prevent Urban Meyer from recruiting a player from that high school because Urban isn't a NJ guy?

Not buying it for Urban. Not buying for any coach that's personable and believable and running a good football program no matter where that coach is from.

USF – ...as it’d be one of the most attractive jobs available: “This is a better job than Boston College and Rutgers,” an industry source said.
Yeah I'm sure people are tripping over themselves to get a G5 job over just about ANY P5 job.

So pay him $2.5 + 1.5 in incentives. If he's so great, he'll still get the $4M. If he's not, then we're not pissing money down the drain.

What’s the hang up on paying Schiano? If the money is there for the HC and staff who cares what they pay. At $4M just get the best candidate that we can. If it turns out to be Schiano then so be it.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
What’s the hang up on paying Schiano? If the money is there for the HC and staff who cares what they pay. At $4M just get the best candidate that we can. If it turns out to be Schiano then so be it.
Whatever coach we get, he should be paid what he is worth. If the best coach we can land is currently making $750K as an assistant somewhere, you want to pay him $4M?

Schiano was making $1.5M at OSU, a considerably more prestigious football program with considerably more resources. He was let go by them. He was fired by Tampa Bay before that. He is currently out of work.

He is worth $2.5 + incentives. I’d offer 100K per win. That gives him a theoretical total annual income of $4M. He has done nothing to warrant a higher salary than that.

It makes absolutely no sense to pay any coach more than they are worth. Schiano or anybody else.

And you know this how?
Faculty Council and Academic Council putting a lot of pressure on administration to cut athletic deficit. Current deficit over 50 million and counting. There is not a bottomless pit of cash here. So much already going to fired coaches, AD’s, etc.

Faculty Council and Academic Council putting a lot of pressure on administration to cut athletic deficit. Current deficit over 50 million and counting. There is not a bottomless pit of cash here. So much already going to fired coaches, AD’s, etc.
So basically you don’t know.

$4 million for Greg and $5 Million for assistants.

Note coaches on hot seat and/or failing all have experience:
Chip Kelly UCLA
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Justin Fuente at Va. Tech.
Addazio at BC
Willie Taggart
4mm for Greg? Are you out of your mind? JHC some of you are beyond absurd

The program with the most capacity to eliminate the athletics deficit, as you call it, is the football program. And the odds of the football program being able to come close to maximizing it’s revenue potential go way up if we hire well-qualified coaches.

Anybody on the BOG who does not understand this reality should be replaced because they are too stupid to be trusted with such responsibility.

Reactions: zazoo2002 and KevH
Norvell is going to be a tough get.

Full disclosure, I've spent my work weeks in Memphis for about the last 8 months. You'd think they were in the SEC. Tiger talk is all over the local terrestrial airwaves, local businesses have giant tigers in their parking lots, Memphis State apparel is everywhere and Norvell makes nearly continuous "celebrity appearances" all over Shelby County and evangelizes the program in a way that makes 2006 Greg Schiano look like Rich Kotite. He could run for governor and win.

All this, and he made $2.6 million last year. If he has a 2019 that's anything like his 2018, they'll pay more to keep him.

You have links to direct quotes of coaches saying that? I don't doubt that you've seen or read something that states that coaches said that. I just doubt that (a) it actually happened or (b) if it did happen, that the coach really means it.

What high-school coach is going to prevent a player from going to RU, if the coach believes going to RU is in the kid's best interest, just because the RU coach doesn't "understand NJ"? If there is any such coach, then that coach is a serious asshole who puts his wacky biases ahead of the well-being of his players.

And we can't be hiring a coach because some high-school coaches might be wacky assholes.

Most high-school coaches in NJ and anywhere else want to do what they think is best for their players. You think any high school coach in NJ is going to prevent Urban Meyer from recruiting a player from that high school because Urban isn't a NJ guy?

Not buying it for Urban. Not buying for any coach that's personable and believable and running a good football program no matter where that coach is from.

Read up on the history of Mulcahy and the circumstances leading up to Greg's initial hiring. It's well documented.

Also, nobody can realistically expect Urban to show up on the banks. So stop with that pipedream. We aren't paying enough, and we aren't what Urban goes for.

Norvell is going to be a tough get.

Full disclosure, I've spent my work weeks in Memphis for about the last 8 months. You'd think they were in the SEC. Tiger talk is all over the local terrestrial airwaves, local businesses have giant tigers in their parking lots, Memphis State apparel is everywhere and Norvell makes nearly continuous "celebrity appearances" all over Shelby County and evangelizes the program in a way that makes 2006 Greg Schiano look like Rich Kotite. He could run for governor and win.

All this, and he made $2.6 million last year. If he has a 2019 that's anything like his 2018, they'll pay more to keep him.
I believe it. He's definitely a good coach who has turned them into a legit program.

I believe it. He's definitely a good coach who has turned them into a legit program.
I thought Arkansas would’ve hired him a couple years ago but they went wit my Morris who still hasn’t gotten an SEC win yet. I don’t think they’d let him go so soon for that to be a threat again but who knows. Ole Miss with Matt Luke could be a possibility.

Maybe the budget for assistants might be attractive to him compared to Memphis....if not and he goes to Ole Miss then Rich Rod can be available to us as OC. :WideSmile:

The program with the most capacity to eliminate the athletics deficit, as you call it, is the football program. And the odds of the football program being able to come close to maximizing it’s revenue potential go way up if we hire well-qualified coaches.

Anybody on the BOG who does not understand this reality should be replaced because they are too stupid to be trusted with such responsibility.

I generally agree but you think Schiano stinks so you want to pay him like no name coordinator. He’s not. He was offered Tennessee job 18 months ago. And he wasn’t fired at OSU — he left because Day got the head job instead of him. Day wouldn’t have stayed either if Schiano go the job. Look, I don’t think Schiano is the second coming, but I do believe he’s our best option.

One other thing — if we pay our next HC some stupid hybrid with incentives no one with a pulse will ever come here. If you believe in a coach you pay him accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT