ADVERTISEMENT

There’s NO reason why we can’t win a National Championship One Day

Doesn't that fall on the shoulders of the HC to acquire the talent necessary? Particularly when by your own admission he is not a strong X's and O's coach?

You still didn't answer my question though Al, what happens if by 2025 we still do not have a winning season with Greg? at that point, after 6 years will you still be making excuses for the man or will it be time to move on?
He will tell us it’s a process and we’re building depth, which must happen first before we beat OSU, Mich, PSU and Georgia and win the NC!
Go RU

Reactions: yessir321
He will tell us it’s a process and we’re building depth, which must happen first before we beat OSU, Mich, PSU and Georgia and win the NC!
Go RU
I'm all for it if it made sense. Unfortunately we lost our top 3 WR's and TE with very little coming behind them so it almost seems as though we are moving backwards in regards to his 2 positions away we are from a winning team.

I'm all for it if it made sense. Unfortunately we lost our top 3 WR's and TE with very little coming behind them so it almost seems as though we are moving backwards in regards to his 2 positions away we are from a winning team.
One injury or any missed time from Sam Brown, places us in a position to play a room of running backs that wouldn’t play for any team In the B1G

Doesn't that fall on the shoulders of the HC to acquire the talent necessary? Particularly when by your own admission he is not a strong X's and O's coach?

You still didn't answer my question though Al, what happens if by 2025 we still do not have a winning season with Greg? at that point, after 6 years will you still be making excuses for the man or will it be time to move on?

Yes it does. He made bad choices on the offensive side of the ball but made good choices on the defensive side of the ball. I fully expect Rutgers to be a winning program by year 6 and am unwilling to speculate otherwise.

Yes it does. He made bad choices on the offensive side of the ball but made good choices on the defensive side of the ball. I fully expect Rutgers to be a winning program by year 6 and am unwilling to speculate otherwise.
Better find some defensive tackles, at least 6 of them.
And 10 more linebackers by 2025

We have plenty of bodies, but what we need is for someone to emerge as WR#1 and TE#1.

If we still don't have a winning season by 2025 attendance will be down to just us 15k or so diehard fans. You will be talking Temple Linc kind of #s.

We have plenty of bodies, but what we need is for someone to emerge as WR#1 and TE#1.
Emerge?
The Yankees would like a Whitey Ford to emerge also, but they realize no one in the system has his talent level so they go out and buy him.
Very few B1G level #1 receivers emerge from a sea of bodies.
They’re special from day 1
Curious if you think Konopka is going to emerge?
Or is he going to continue to be a body?

I will give you to 100 to 1 odds it won’t happen in you’re lifetime. 50 to 1 in the next 50 years. You can pass it down to you kids. Will put the money in escrow for 50 years.

Emerge?
The Yankees would like a Whitey Ford to emerge also, but they realize no one in the system has his talent level so they go out and buy him.

Sure wed love kids to impact right away, but if we get a Leonte Carroo, who did nothing his first year, then became a difference maker his second year, that’s good enough.

I’m hoping Konopka stays healthy and pulls down thirty balls for us, which isn’t great but is at least something. I think that’s reasonable. I think Braithwaite can be special day 1, due to his speed. Need to fill the roster with kids like him.

I will give you to 100 to 1 odds it won’t happen in you’re lifetime. 50 to 1 in the next 50 years. You can pass it down to you kids. Will put the money in escrow for 50 years.
but sometimes dreams can come true.
for some the dream is real, but that dream is a nightmare when to those who find dreams of success something to be avoided, because of a lack of faith of it happening .
Rutgers fans had for years felt their FB program was a loser and the only hope they expressed is that the team wouldn't be annihilated before most games started .
Then Greg1 came along and raised the fanbases expectations because he made the program respectable enough that it's fans felt the team had a chance to win any game they played and many expected a win every time.
By the time Greg1 left there were fans wanting him booted for not bringing home a championship. That was a far cry from their feelings of RU being a losing program , and nothing would change that, before Schiano arrived.
No the cry is Greg2 can't get us there going into his fourth year.
I say Greg2 has a good chance of making RU FB a respected program again.
So I'm not giving up on him because he's done that before in his 5th year in the Greg1 era.
Once Rutgers reaches respectability, them maybe Al can share his dream and not be so strongly opposed about it.
Maybe even be bashed for not brining home a chanpionshilp like he was towards the end of the Greg1 era.

Al: I'm a believer ( like you) , because it hurts too much not to have hope when supporting RU.
Making a Championship caliber program will be hard the way the local medai covers RU FB and lacking the number of heavy hitting boosters.
But that could change if Schiano is able to devolop the recruits he's bringing in now into players that can make RU FB respected again.
Then portal players and HS talent will look on RU as a place to bring their talent, the local media will hop on the bandwagon and heavy hitting donors might become available because they want to be associated with the type of program RU is proving it can be.

Am I dreaming, of course ,but it can happen if everything falls into place.
For me that's a hellofalot better then having a never have, not happening now or ever will attitude that just looks at RU FB as a second rate program that can't make it if they try
I do feel sad for those with no hope.
Some might feel;sad for me , because they feel my hoping and dreaming will be in vain
Nothing wrong with that , nor should there be anything wrong with having a feeling better times are coming because of believing it can happen

Reactions: Kbee3
Wow. What a sport you are. Willing to lay money down that Rutgers...of all places....won't win a national championship in the next fifty years.
Go out on a limb much ?

Emerge?
Totally agree on the receiver comment.
I think Konopka will emerge. After redshirting his first year, Konopka had an OK season his freshman year (2021), and he was injured in the BC game last year.

Al, I say this with love in my heart… a program is not simply 2 players away from being a winning program coming off a 1-8 conference record…. It’s so much more than 2 players

You’re not considering the incoming talent and the kids who redshirted. We could easily be 6-6, if not for a few plays against MSU and Nebraska. We’re not where we want to be, but we’re not far away.

When in doubt, always fall back to the few plays away mantra.

Nebraska and MSU were both one score games. Lost to Nebraska 14-13 and MSU 27-21. We win those games and no one is questioning the direction of the program.

Nebraska and MSU were both one score games. Lost to Nebraska 14-13 and MSU 27-21. We win those games and no one is questioning the direction of the program.
But we didn't, and that is the history of Greg Schiano at Rutgers, what might have been. Imagine the trajectory of the program if he had followed up the biggest win in his career in 2006 with a victory over a very average Cincy team with a 5-5 record, instead he losses by 19 points. Greg is always that one drive, that one stop, that one win away from achieving success, but it always seems to allude him, go figure.

Reactions: Rutgers56
But we didn't, and that is the history of Greg Schiano at Rutgers, what might have been. Imagine the trajectory of the program if he had followed up the biggest win in his career in 2006 with a victory over a very average Cincy team with a 5-5 record, instead he losses by 19 points. Greg is always that one drive, that one stop, that one win away from achieving success, but it always seems to allude him, go figure.
get back to respectability first, then go after the HC for not reaching the goals we set for the program..
My take is: Schiano can make RU FB respectable again, then if he proves incapable of bringing RU to the next level, dump him and pay the rate it takes to bring in a top tier HC.

With proper support from the administration and boosters RU FB can be a national championship program.
Without that, Schiano's ability to get RU into the playoffs is a horse of a different color.
Hell if the administration and boosters can't/won't support the football program like the perennial best one have, Greg 2 getting there won't be a problem , because he will be the best RU can get if they don't spend what it takes to be a constant top 25 team.

We can all hate Greg, but he's probably the best that will come with what Rutgers has to offer possible coaching candidates..
He proved he can build given time, but he also failed to move RU into the head of class catogary and that's why the dislike being shown him.
Heck I would have likeed to see better, but I fear the best won't take anRU offer unless they see much more support than they feel the RU FB program receives.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersal

Three years ago no one was saying what might have been. We were saying Sht! There’s no talent! Now at least we’re up to lamenting what might have been. We’ve come a long way and we’ve got a long way to go. There are no shortcuts. Simply have to build up the talent base.

BC and Temple were both one point games. We lose those games....blah blah.

Also, MSU was a 2 score game until a last minute TD. Not as close as final score.

Oh MSU…. The game we had a chance to win if our coach wasn’t too chicken shit to run a drive with 1:33 remaining and 3 timeouts down 10 points before halftime…. With however many of MSU’s starters suspended… Might wanna choose a different game when highlighting reasons to praise GS👍

As for Nebraska, Greg decided at halftime to take his foot off the gas and cost us that game as well.

Maybe not the best examples to use as they were the 2 games that we lost due to coaching last year when highlighting what a great coach we have👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers56
You’re not considering the incoming talent and the kids who redshirted. We could easily be 6-6, if not for a few plays against MSU and Nebraska. We’re not where we want to be, but we’re not far away.
Al, I know Dylan Braithwaite is your latest pet, however we lost our top 4 WR’s and top TE…. To expect the kids who redshirted and a receiver whose next best offer was Richmond coming in as freshman to come in as an instant upgrade over Sean ryan, Cruikshank, Johnny Langan, shameen jones and Josh Youngblood is purely emotional. There is nothing rational that would lead to that analysis outside of blind faith.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
get back to respectability first, then go after the HC for not reaching the goals we set for the program..
My take is: Schiano can make RU FB respectable again, then if he proves incapable of bringing RU to the next level, dump him and pay the rate it takes to bring in a top tier HC.

With proper support from the administration and boosters RU FB can be a national championship program.
Without that, Schiano's ability to get RU into the playoffs is a horse of a different color.
Hell if the administration and boosters can't/won't support the football program like the perennial best one have, Greg 2 getting there won't be a problem , because he will be the best RU can get if they don't spend what it takes to be a constant top 25 team.

We can all hate Greg, but he's probably the best that will come with what Rutgers has to offer possible coaching candidates..
He proved he can build given time, but he also failed to move RU into the head of class catogary and that's why the dislike being shown him.
Heck I would have likeed to see better, but I fear the best won't take anRU offer unless they see much more support than they feel the RU FB program receives.
See that last paragraph is where you lost me. “He’s probably the best that will come”. Nonsense! Absolute and total nonsense! How many times have we gone over examples of coaches turning around perennial losing programs? How many times have we discussed Lance Leipold? FFS Colorado has been dogsh*t for years, they hire prime and look what’s happening!

It’s such a loser, defeated attitude to go in with the idea of ‘yea but who would want this job?’ Uhhh plenty of people! But you see years ago some chose to buy back into Greg full throttle, and right on cue as I predicted it has wound up dividing the fanbase as some of our older, more influential fanbase and donors simply can’t let go of 1 game in 06’

Reactions: red sail
It swings both ways AL. BC, Temple and Indiana were one score games also. Beat BC 22-21, Temple 16-14 and Indiana 24-17. Rutgers was a few plays away from being 1-11.

It swings both ways AL. BC, Temple and Indiana were one score games also Beat BC 22-21, Temple 16-14 and Indiana 24-17. Rutgers was a few plays away from being 1-11.

3 years ago we would have been closer to 1-11, so we are on the right trajectory. Just need to keep recruiting and developing. There are no shortcuts for us. Going into this season, we’ll have four solid years of development. We add a little more talent that seems on its way and we’ll be Big Ten Competitive.

See that last paragraph is where you lost me. “He’s probably the best that will come”. Nonsense! Absolute and total nonsense! How many times have we gone over examples of coaches turning around perennial losing programs? How many times have we discussed Lance Leipold? FFS Colorado has been dogsh*t for years, they hire prime and look what’s happening!

It’s such a loser, defeated attitude to go in with the idea of ‘yea but who would want this job?’ Uhhh plenty of people! But you see years ago some chose to buy back into Greg full throttle, and right on cue as I predicted it has wound up dividing the fanbase as some of our older, more influential fanbase and donors simply can’t let go of 1 game in 06’
we can point out examples of coaches turning around programs.
But we must ask ourselves why don;t the best candidates seem to ignore Rutgers when Rutgers is looking.
Could it be what Rutgers is offering and the work needed to make RU FB a successful program

My defeatism is not that RU can't be a top program, but a defeatist attitude about RU spending what it takes to bring in the best and finance that HC properly to make RU a top program.
Rutgers won't be getting top notch caliber unless they are willing to pay the going rate for one and also finance he program like top level programs do.
The we can do better sounds great but ask yourself why Rutgers hasn't done better when it comes to getting quick fix type HCs
Pointing out who isn't at RU points out the problem, because I doubt any HC that Rutger fans would want would jeopardize their coaching future at a school that won't fully support them and do what it takes to become a top program.

There are those that think Al goes overboard with his optimistic attitude, I feel some of the we should have hired such and such are blinded with their optimistic thought RU could have hired them.
Until RU decided to keep up with the Jones' spending what it lakes, hiring the best Smith is the only option left and trhat's what many RU FB fans ail to realize.

Just because a coach succeeds at another program doesn’t mean he would succeed at Rutgers. You continue to overlook how difficult it is to win here. Every coach besides Schiano has not only failed, but failed miserably.

With the talent that Coach figures to bring in, for this ‘24 class, it is a waste of time to discuss alternatives, because this class is going to fix most of our remaining talent issues.

But we must ask ourselves why don;t the best candidates seem to ignore Rutgers when Rutgers is looking.
Could it be what Rutgers is offering and the work needed to make RU FB a successful program

My defeatism is not that RU can't be a top program, but a defeatist attitude about RU spending what it takes to bring in the best and finance that HC properly to make RU a top program.
Rutgers won't be getting top notch caliber unless they are willing to pay the going rate for one and also finance he program like top level programs do.
The we can do better sounds great but ask yourself why Rutgers hasn't done better when it comes to getting quick fix type HCs
Pointing out who isn't at RU points out the problem, because I doubt any HC that Rutger fans would want would jeopardize their coaching future at a school that won't fully support them and do what it takes to become a top program.

There are those that think Al goes overboard with his optimistic attitude, I feel some of the we should have hired such and such are blinded with their optimistic thought RU could have hired them.
Until RU decided to keep up with the Jones' spending what it lakes, hiring the best Smith is the only option left and trhat's what many RU FB fans ail to realize.

Is it those other HC candidates don't want to come here or is it the Rutgers HC search criteria is outdated and stale?
When have we hired or considered an offensive HC? Especially in the modern passing offense era?

HC Schiano 1.0: young dynamic defensive coach from a successful program. Before my time but seemed like it made sense in early 2000s as a temple.

HC Flood: Carryover from previous regime. Was never in charge of running an offense or being the main architect involved.

HC Ash: let's run back the HC Schiano 1.0 temple - young defensive coach from successful program. After 1 year he reverted to dumb meathead football OCs.

HC Schiano 2.0: defensive HC. Hired allegedly modern OC but we never saw that in practice (unknown if it was HC or OC doing). Reverted back to potentially run-first offense.

I would fix the job requirements before saying Rutgers can't get anyone of note.

We can stop right there. No the best candidates do not ignore Rutgers at all, let's break this down since Greg left the first time....

First Hire was Kyle Flood. Flood was a member of Greg's staff as he was departing and was kept in place after greg spurned us at the last minute and we needed to keep our recruiting class in tact.

After was Chris Ash, who was the DC at the time for the National Champions. I will not defend Chris Ash at all because he was a deer in the headlights, however he was never going to be successful. He inherited a program with next to no proper facilities, who's team was under NCAA investigation, that half the defense was arrested at practice the year prior to his arrival. I don't dispute Greg inherited a dumsper fire, the point is Ash inherited a dumpster fire filled with bear diarrhea....

The second time around Patt Hobbs was facing increased pressure from a vocal part of our fanbase to rehire greg. He actually tried to not hire him if you remember but the public backlash was too much. Too many fans were threatening to not renew their season tickets for a program already losing money if it was anyone but greg and as a result, Pat Hobbs had no other choice.

We will pay for coaches hat. We are paying our OC this year more than almost every other D1 school is paying their OC...

As I said when Greg was rehired, I'd love to see it work out, however if it doesn't there's going to be fans who simply cannot let go of 06' and allow the program to suffer as a result.

Just because a coach succeeds at another program doesn’t mean he would succeed at Rutgers. You continue to overlook how difficult it is to win here. Every coach besides Schiano has not only failed, but failed miserably.

With the talent that Coach figures to bring in, for this ‘24 class, it is a waste of time to discuss alternatives, because this class is going to fix most of our remaining talent issues.
Al, I understand how difficult it is to win here, which is why a dinosaur who coaches offense like it's still the 90's is not the solution!

You have been saying for the last 15 years how "this next class is it!" Maybe one of these years you will be right. Prove to us that your routine is not just simply the literal definition of insanity...

Genuinely Al, the day that Greg Schiano leaves Rutgers (retires, fired, takes a different job) are you going to be ok? Are we going to have to arrange wellness checks and a meal train the way those in my neighborhood do when a family loses a loved one?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Is it those other HC candidates don't want to come here or is it the Rutgers HC search criteria is outdated and stale?
When have we hired or considered an offensive HC? Especially in the modern passing offense era?

HC Schiano 1.0: young dynamic defensive coach from a successful program. Before my time but seemed like it made sense in early 2000s as a temple.

HC Flood: Carryover from previous regime. Was never in charge of running an offense or being the main architect involved.

HC Ash: let's run back the HC Schiano 1.0 temple - young defensive coach from successful program. After 1 year he reverted to dumb meathead football OCs.

HC Schiano 2.0: defensive HC. Hired allegedly modern OC but we never saw that in practice (unknown if it was HC or OC doing). Reverted back to potentially run-first offense.

I would fix the job requirements before saying Rutgers can't get anyone of note.
Fix the job requirements all you want, but to get the best canidates to accept the position programs must be willing to pay what it takes to get them , give them the type of support they need to succeed and the time to put the program alongside the upper tier programs. ..

Greg1 was a good gamble, but remember he wasn't keen on taking the job until Mulcahy
agreed to the list of demands Schiano felt the program needed to do in order to be a successful program. On Dec.1 of 2000 according to the Newark Star-Ledger, Schiano agreed to terms on a five-year deal worth approximately $500,000 annually
Also he wasn't the first choice, others interviewed took themselves out of the running.
When he left, RU wouldn't even put up the same salary Greg was making when he left .
and Mario Cristobal , the top candidate to replace Schiano, walked away from the job over money issues .
Flood then was hired for $950,000 a year, RU was paying Schiano $2.5 mil.
You get what you pay for and Rutgers doesn't like to pay unless forced.

Since Frank Burns, who many consider the greatest FB HC in RU history , was coaching the program the RU administration failed to support the program enough to help it succeed.
That lack of support cost him his job ( forced out) because of his last 3 years on the job ( playing D-1A teams) he wound up with a 13-20 record.after being 71-32-2 ( basically a D-1AA schedule)

By the way check how much Greg is making compared to other BIG HCs , factoring in the cost of living where all are located compared in the NYC Metro Area.
If RU was willing to spend what it takes, the wish list of some RU fans , not enthused about Greg coming back, would have been met and maybe blaming the new guy for no NC yet. 😳😏

Last edited:
Al, I understand how difficult it is to win here, which is why a dinosaur who coaches offense like it's still the 90's is not the solution!

You have been saying for the last 15 years how "this next class is it!" Maybe one of these years you will be right. Prove to us that your routine is not just simply the literal definition of insanity...

Genuinely Al, the day that Greg Schiano leaves Rutgers (retires, fired, takes a different job) are you going to be ok? Are we going to have to arrange wellness checks and a meal train the way those in my neighborhood do when a family loses a loved one?

From 2005 to 2014, we were decent for the most part, only struggling in 2010. And that too, only because Anthony Davis declared early for the draft.

Schiano has only been the coach for three seasons. And has had to work to undo 8 seasons of neglect. That doesn’t happen overnight. Till now, we’ve had four recruiting classes, and have a competitive defense to show for it. Two more classes and we’ll have a fully functional offense, based on the prospects we have in the pipeline, and talent we already have on the roster. We’re not there yet. But we’re not far off. In three seasons, we’ll be exactly where we want to be. A competitive Big Ten program with a state of the art football facility being built.

From 2005 to 2014, we were decent for the most part, only struggling in 2010. And that too, only because Anthony Davis declared early for the draft.

Schiano has only been the coach for three seasons. And has had to work to undo 8 seasons of neglect. That doesn’t happen overnight. Till now, we’ve had four recruiting classes, and have a competitive defense to show for it. Two more classes and we’ll have a fully functional offense, based on the prospects we have in the pipeline, and talent we already have on the roster. We’re not there yet. But we’re not far off. In three seasons, we’ll be exactly where we want to be. A competitive Big Ten program with a state of the art football facility being built.
Here’s the problem Al, Greg doesn’t have 3 more years to right the ship before we lose even more fans. 1 player is never the reason a team struggles Al, particularly not 1 offensive lineman. That’s just silly.

If we have anywhere close to the same record/results we did last year, he’s gone.

Here’s the problem Al, Greg doesn’t have 3 more years to right the ship before we lose even more fans. 1 player is never the reason a team struggles Al, particularly not 1 offensive lineman. That’s just silly.

If we have anywhere close to the same record/results we did last year, he’s gone.
I agree he doesn’t have 3 more years. Not everyone has drinks the kool aid like Al. I know he going to spew his diamonds in the rough, under rated, qb recruiting BS. Recruiting is trending down and where do you think it going after one or two more losing seasons. The last three years classes have been ranked 32,40 and the 64.what that going to look like if you have two more losing seasons?

ADVERTISEMENT