ADVERTISEMENT

They were dropping like flies...

LETSGORU91

All American
Jan 29, 2017
...and I'm not referring to the Morgan State players who were getting all kinds of banged up. Did anyone notice how many people were having heat related problems in the stands? My buddy walked over to me and made a reference one of the concourses looking like a M*A*S*H unit, then a guy drops down right behind us. Ever seen someone close to death? He had the look, lost consciousness, and I think was completely out (faint or no pulse) for a good 10 seconds. He came to and probably needed a bag or two of saline..if that guy John is on here, I hope you are ok and it was just dehydration.

Last edited:
...and I'm not referring to the Morgan State players were getting all kinds of banged up. Did anyone notice how many people were having heat related problems in the stands? My buddy walked over to me and made a reference one of the concourses looking like a M*A*S*H unit, then a guy drops down right behind us. Ever seen someone close to death? He had the look, lost consciousness, and I think was completely out (faint or no pulse) for a good 10 seconds. He came to and probably needed a bag or two of saline..if that guy John is on here, I hope you are ok and it was just dehydration.

The lower level behind the RU bench was HOT ! And the lower you were sitting , the hotter it got. I wound up moving in the 2nd qtr to sit with my buddy in the shade in 106 (behind visitors bench).

The lower level behind the RU bench was HOT ! And the lower you were sitting , the hotter it got. I wound up moving in the 2nd qtr to sit with my buddy in the shade in 106 (behind visitors bench).

Can't believe we don't switch the home side for this exact reason. Not doing ourselves any favors. But I know, press boxes, tv cameras, blah, blah, blah.

I was sitting in the end zone across from student section.... VERY HOT.
Made sure i drank 1 bottle of water each quarter.

Reactions: TB4RU
The change was done because the camera's face the East side of the field...There have been numerous games hotter and more humid than yesterday's ( not much hotter than the Fresno State debacle)...one could see people wanting to get drunk after that ...perhaps if fans drank a bit less alcohol prior to the game ( save it for afterwards ) they might not be falling over and passing out...

Or if water prices at the concession stands were more reasonable, folks would have drank more of it. $4 for a bottle of water that RU buys for 25 cents? Can you say "price gouging?

There is free water from the fountains. In today's society, kids are being raised with that $4 bottled tap water mentality. Tap = free. Bottle = $4. Spend/save your money as you choose.

On a side note all that heat exhaustion musta kept the hot dog sales down
they were sellin fer $2 after the game. heh

Reactions: Local Shill
It would be cooler in the lower level if we had a grass field. But a school with a supposedly good agricultural school can't figure out how to do it

Reactions: cicero grimes
Can't believe we don't switch the home side for this exact reason. Not doing ourselves any favors. But I know, press boxes, tv cameras, blah, blah, blah.
Most games are not 80 degree's. Often being in the sun is a good thing.

Reactions: ATIOH
There is free water from the fountains. In today's society, kids are being raised with that $4 bottled tap water mentality. Tap = free. Bottle = $4. Spend/save your money as you choose.

That's great and all, but one can't even bring empty bottles into the stadium to fill up from said water fountains. I try to do so every game for that purpose and am rebuffed by security; meanwhile, they're missing the numerous snacks in my pocket..

That's great and all, but one can't even bring empty bottles into the stadium to fill up from said water fountains. I try to do so every game for that purpose and am rebuffed by security; meanwhile, they're missing the numerous snacks in my pocket..

Take a normal plastic water bottle. Drink it. Crush it. Put it in your pocket. Take it out once you're inside.

It would be cooler in the lower level if we had a grass field. But a school with a supposedly good agricultural school can't figure out how to do it

Remember when the new stadium was completed and we had natural grass, the field turf would come up in a big way during a wet day ?

Believe that Cook College was involved in turf mgmt for the current RU Stadium. After years of bad experiences with natural turf, RU then decided on artificial turf. Turned out to be a good move.

Ohio State will be a noon kick off, so possibly one more warm home game.

The change was done because the camera's face the East side of the field...There have been numerous games hotter and more humid than yesterday's ( not much hotter than the Fresno State debacle)...one could see people wanting to get drunk after that ...perhaps if fans drank a bit less alcohol prior to the game ( save it for afterwards ) they might not be falling over and passing out...

Still remember FSU in the shade on the sidelines during second half.... it was at that moment I decided East sidelines (at least for Sept games) were a bad idea.... and I still believe it..........

I know we train in the heat and are supposed to be conditioned, have sideline coolers etc. etc.... but, even if it makes a tiny difference... it's a difference we should take advantage of....

I believe schiano made the move in 2005 or so.
My understanding is that Schiano did it because anytime one of our players was hurt, the other team could see him walking (or being carried) behind the south end zone to get to the locker room, whereas the visiting team could sneak their player behind the guys on the sideline without us knowing he'd be out for at least a few plays. So he decided he wanted the home-field advantage and made the switch.

I have to ask this.
Why do stadiums take the cap off of bottles?
Is it so you don't throw them?
What prevents you from throwing bottle?

I don't understand thew logic (Or am I missing something?)

I have to ask this.
Why do stadiums take the cap off of bottles?
Is it so you don't throw them?
What prevents you from throwing bottle?

I don't understand thew logic (Or am I missing something?)
An uncapped bottle will empty out when thrown. A capped bottle will remain full and will be more likely to injure.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Or if water prices at the concession stands were more reasonable, folks would have drank more of it. $4 for a bottle of water that RU buys for 25 cents? Can you say "price gouging?
8 cents a bottle at Costco. $$$$

Good thing we're not allowed to bring water bottles into the stadium!

Yep, same thing in 206.
Yes, we used to be in 206 years ago but that is the shade side and there is no comparison with the sun side on a warm day. I don't remember if it was last year, the year before, or both, but the upper deck on the East side ran out of bottled water for an hour or so several times. I think a more reasonable price for water, as well as availability, would be a good move. I think I read they installed water mister machines at a few locations in the stadium, that is a good idea but I'm not sure where they are.

Last edited:
At the new Mercedes Benz Stadium:

Fan-First Pricing
Feed 4 for $28
$2 – Non-alcoholic beverages with unlimited free refills (at freestanding refill stations). $2 – Dasani bottled water, hot dogs, pretzels, popcorn. $3 – Peanuts, pizza, nachos, waffle fries. $5 – 12oz. domestic beer.

Fan-First Pricing
Feed 4 for $28
$2 – Non-alcoholic beverages with unlimited free refills (at freestanding refill stations). $2 – Dasani bottled water, hot dogs, pretzels, popcorn. $3 – Peanuts, pizza, nachos, waffle fries. $5 – 12oz. domestic beer.

They've made a big deal out of putting together the lowest concession prices of any major venue. Personally, I think it's a good idea, as long as they're able to move people through the lines quickly.

Reactions: rufancoe00
They've made a big deal out of putting together the lowest concession prices of any major venue. Personally, I think it's a good idea, as long as they're able to move people through the lines quickly.
That's a good point.

I've been to other places that have done something similar but the line thing was the problem since it wasn't offered at every spot in the building.

Yes, we used to be in 206 years ago but that is the shade side and there is no comparison with the sun side on a warm day. I don't remember if it was last year, the year before, or both, but the upper deck on the East side ran out of bottled water for an hour or so several times. I think a more reasonable price for water, as well as availability, would be a good move. I think I read they installed water mister machines at a few locations in the stadium, that is a good idea but I'm not sure where they are.

They are NOT on the upper deck

You can bring in a water bottle if you wear cargo shorts and hide one in one of the big pockets. It helps if you have something in your hand such as a phone or keys to distract the guards. I'm 3 for 3 this season.

I believe it was mentioned here once that our inability to maintain a natural grass field has to do with the high water table.

I sit on the east side since 1994. Originally behind the visitors side I was psyched when the change was made. It was done for tv purposes.

Last edited:
They are NOT on the upper deck
Just to be clear, I didn't say they were in the upper deck. Those misters are not expensive to install. Any decent hotel in a hot weather venue has them, along with free water. I'm not saying water should be free but RU could ensure water is more easily available at a reasonable price if they don't allow water to be brought into the stadium. The misters would be a big plus.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Fan-First Pricing
Feed 4 for $28
We shall see how long that lasts.

Football stadiums should have a policy that when the temperature reaches 80 and above, they should make free water stations available for everyone. You paid $$$$ just to get into the place, the least they can do is not have the fans be nickled and dimed just to stay alive.

Reactions: Local Shill
What happened in the 70's and 80"s when peeps weren't walking around 24/7 with water bottles in their hand like they were attached to mama's teets? I don't recall all these water bottles going to sporting events back then. What we have here is the pussification of America.

... Did anyone notice how many people were having heat related problems in the stands? .

I wasn't at a game this week but this time last year I was at an Army game where people were dropping like overripe fruit. I was in an aisle seat and the medical crew was scooting past me all game - twice bringing people down strapped into chairs. It was hot but nothing crazy. I figured there must be something going on with fans - maybe baby boomers getting older etc

Fan-First Pricing
Feed 4 for $28
I've mentioned this before and will mention it again: they did this because they took more than $750 million in public money to build that stadium.

Apparently no one cares about that once they're given free refills of something that costs 5 cents.

Arthur Blank and his people are geniuses for pulling this off.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT