ADVERTISEMENT

They were dropping like flies...

What happened in the 70's and 80"s when peeps weren't walking around 24/7 with water bottles in their hand like they were attached to mama's teets? I don't recall all these water bottles going to sporting events back then. What we have here is the pussification of America.

Hard to believe now, but in the 70s, you could not buy water at grocery stores or convenience stores. You could only get water from faucets, water fountains or a garden hose, and it was always free. If you wanted to carry around water (very rare), you used a canteen.

Last edited:
What happened in the 70's and 80"s when peeps weren't walking around 24/7 with water bottles in their hand like they were attached to mama's teets? I don't recall all these water bottles going to sporting events back then. What we have here is the pussification of America.
If just using Rutgers Football as an example during this time period, didn't the season have less games and start a little later.

Also, smaller venue so it was much easier to get a to a water fountain or back out to your car with the free return. Any game at Giants Stadium had lots of water fountains.

Are you saying the elderly folks who tried to support the team Saturday but had medical issues are "wusses"?

How about my wife, in active treatment for breast cancer for 17 years and still goes to every game? Is she a "wuss" because she needs to stay hydrated on a hot day? And to suggest that she run to the water fountain whenever she needs water is not realistic, very hard to climb over people often with her replaced hip.

Sorry, you struck a nerve with your comment, everyone is not in the same health status here. My point in my original post was that prices could be more affordable if they are not going to let us bring in outside drinks.

The price of the water ($4) is a joke. I just buy Poland Spring at Shop Rite which is often a case of 24 for $4 or about .16 cents a bottle. In fact they sometimes sell 3 cases or 72 bottles for $10 which is less than .14 cents a bottle. Talk about a rip off.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Went to the Meadows all-day concert at Citi Field yesterday and their policy for the 40K or so who attended was that everyone could bring in 2 bottles of water (with the caps on! OMG, the insanity!) and they also had several water refilling stations with about a dozen spigots, so anyone could simply refill their empty water bottle. For free...with water of similar quality to bottled water, which is still the single greatest advertising accomplishment in history - getting people to pay ridiculous prices for something which is no better than what's available for free.

They drank cans of soda.

How about my wife, in active treatment for breast cancer for 17 years and still goes to every game? Is she a "wuss" because she needs to stay hydrated on a hot day? And to suggest that she run to the water fountain whenever she needs water is not realistic, very hard to climb over people often with her replaced hip.
We have a similar issue with Tyler - even though it's been a while, he still becomes dehydrated very easily. So the athletic department let's us bring water in through guest services.

Are you saying the elderly folks who tried to support the team Saturday but had medical issues are "wusses"?

Sorry, you struck a nerve with your comment, everyone is not in the same health status here. My point in my original post was that prices could be more affordable if they are not going to let us bring in outside drinks.
Your wife is not a wuss, I stayed up on the concourse (where it was balmy and breezy) b/c of the heat (seats in row 22, too hot, didn't want to walk down, only to have to climb back up). I had plenty of company, people lined up along the barricade, said it was rough.

Lol... I also laugh at the groups of women who take their power walks in the neighborhood I live in, that feel the need to have to bring water bottles with them.. Can they really not make a 30 min walk without water ??

Lol... I also laugh at the groups of women who take their power walks in the neighborhood I live in, that feel the need to have to bring water bottles with them.. Can they really not make a 30 min walk without water ??

Does that make them cry?

I'm not talking about people with medical issues. I'm pointing out the average run of the mill fan. We've been conditioned to carry a water bottle just to go down the drive to get the mail. Can never been too safe lol. Anywho.....have you seen some of the RU fans lately? God awful overweight . No wonder why they had issues. Geez...some could be sweating in a blizzard.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - When Vols fans attend Neyland Stadium for the home opener against Georgia State on Saturday (Sept. 8), they will notice several concession changes, including new menu items and reduced prices on selected items. These changes were inspired by fan feedback received during the 2011 season.

"The most prevalent suggestions from fans following last season were improved concession choices and reduced prices," said Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Dave Hart. "This offseason, we reviewed the menu and made changes that offer greater value to fans purchasing food and beverages at Neyland Stadium."

The prices of a 24-ounce soda and 20-ounce bottled water have each been lowered by one dollar, to $3 each, and Domino's Pizza will be sold for $7 ($1.50 less than last season). New this season is a 44-ounce soda, available for $5. Additionally, a 32-ounce souvenir cup that can be refilled at the stadium all season long will be available to fans. The first purchase is $7, with a free first refill and $3 subsequent refills.

Fans can also try several new concessions items, including:

· The Clucker: Fried chicken, country pickles and coleslaw on a country roll with a side of fried taters.
· The Caboose: Angus single burger patty topped with cheese, bacon, pulled pork, jalapenos, onions and Smokey's sauce. Served with a side of fried taters.
· Pulled Pork Topped Hot Dog: Hebrew National hot dog with barbecue smoked pulled pork, coleslaw and pickled onions.
· Hickory Pulled Pork Nachos: House-fried tortillas stuffed with barbecue smoked pulled pork, scallions, pintos, pico de gallo, jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, sour cream and Old City Magic spice.

Additionally, as part of a new look for most of the concession stands in Neyland Stadium, all of the menu boards have been replaced for customer convenience and ease of ordering.

Need to make fan experience a priority. Them 4K sets are looking pretty sweet...

ADVERTISEMENT