ADVERTISEMENT

Thiam Update

Is it all about academics at this point or is there another serious suitor we should be concerned about?

The deadline for signing LOI is May 18, so I assume it will be done by then one way or the other, although in theory he could take it right down to September.

hopefully I am wrong, but on some level it feels as though he is looking for something else that he thinks is better...holding out...

The deadline for signing LOI is May 18, so I assume it will be done by then one way or the other, although in theory he could take it right down to September.

He probably would be enrolled by July wherever he goes.

This has been quite cryptic - but I assume that somebody knows the answers to the critical elements of this puzzle -

(1.) Will the review of all of his academic work at all of these institutions result in a clean NCAA clearance to participate ?
Cours Sainte Marie de Hann, Dakar, Senegal.
Canarias Basketball Academy, Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain
Coastal Academy , Belmar, NJ
Arlington Country Day School, Jacksonville, FL

(2.) If #1 is a yes - is he ready to formalize his commitment to Rutgers?

(3.) If #1 is a yes ... and #2 is a yes - is Rutgers eager & willing to receive a "yes" at this point - or are there other balls in the air?

Personally, I'm totally happy to sit back and watch it all unfold - am impressed with Pikiell & Co
- and am assuming that they are playing this out in a way that is intended to optimize the outcome.
Nonetheless - am curious.

Reactions: higgins3
hopefully I am wrong, but on some level it feels as though he is looking for something else that he thinks is better...holding out...

Could be that.It could also be our staff evaluating if he will be eligible academically,etc.

This has been quite cryptic - but I assume that somebody knows the answers to the critical elements of this puzzle -

(1.) Will the review of all of his academic work at all of these institutions result in a clean NCAA clearance to participate ?

(3.) If #1 is a yes ... and #2 is a yes - is Rutgers eager & willing to receive a "yes" at this point - or are there other balls in the air?

Personally, I'm totally happy to sit back and watch it all unfold - am impressed with Pikiell & Co
- and am assuming that they are playing this out in a way that is intended to optimize the outcome.

Spot on. I think there is a lot of evaluating being done at this point.

Only the NCAA Eligibility Center knows the answer to your No. 1 question.

If he created an account with the Eligibility Center and all of his schools have been uploading his transcripts by the required deadlines and if he has a qualifying ACT or SAT score and that has been sent to the EC; then the NCAA can begin reviewing everything and rule on his eligibility.

Sometimes with overseas schools the "paperwork" is late getting to the NCAA for various reasons.

I know a kid in Florida that lost out on a scholarship at a SEC school because his Australian school was taking its time sending transcripts so that they could be converted to the American scale.

I love the thought of Thiam in Scarlet, but despite this tweet...I'm still not hopeful.

Moving parts in this recruitment may be too difficult to overcome.

Never wanted to be more wrong in my life. This kid is a player.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
IF (Note capital letters) we assume that Thiam is looking for better offers (not really about Thiam more about general recruiting at RU), you have to wonder at what point short term gain can become long term loss. Do we want a kid who is hesitant to come here because of losing tradition and the likelihood that it will continue for another couple of years, or will the first thing on the kid's mind, when we hit a four-game losing streak, be, "Damn I could have been going to xxxx, and they're 12 and 3."

I love the thought of Thiam in Scarlet, but despite this tweet...I'm still not hopeful.

Moving parts in this recruitment may be too difficult to overcome.

Never wanted to be more wrong in my life. This kid is a player.
Thanks BK for this information. One day I would love to know what the "moving parts" are, but I already know you have stuck your neck out as far as you could on this.

IF (Note capital letters) we assume that Thiam is looking for better offers (not really about Thiam more about general recruiting at RU), you have to wonder at what point short term gain can become long term loss. Do we want a kid who is hesitant to come here because of losing tradition and the likelihood that it will continue for another couple of years, or will the first thing on the kid's mind, when we hit a four-game losing streak, be, "Damn I could have been going to xxxx, and they're 12 and 3."

Every player we take is a risk to leave if we don't win. Almost every player worth getting at this point is/was looking for a better offer. That is the state of our program. I have faith in this new staff that we can change that perception.

Thanks BK for this information. One day I would love to know what the "moving parts" are, but I already know you have stuck your neck out as far as you could on this.

He went to a lot of schools, is old for his age, and like anytme you transfer to a university-the more schools- the harder it is for your credits to transfer. Like russ said and rumba said,the ncaa has to see if hes eligible. I think it is that simple.

He went to a lot of schools, is old for his age, and like anytme you transfer to a university-the more schools- the harder it is for your credits to transfer. Like russ said and rumba said,the ncaa has to see if hes eligible. I think it is that simple.

Yup. The same NCAA that has looked the other way on 20 years of phoney classes at UNC will probably come down hard on Thiam for a lack of academic rigor.

Rutgers is in strong position to land 6-9 Issa Thiam, source tells @SNYtv. May take another week or so. Zags tweet

Rutgers and strong position? I thought he was committed to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rutgers and strong position? I thought he was committed to us.

Yes, but there are a lot of behind-the-scenes variables that haven't been exactly stated as fact yet. Could be academic eligibility, could be NCAA/professional eligibility, or could be interest in other schools. Who knows, exactly (other than BK and some others)?

Finally! Something other than two lines of text! He looks smooth and coordinated for only 15 seconds of video. Bring him on!

Reactions: Scangg
Finally! Something other than two lines of text! He looks smooth and coordinated for only 15 seconds of video. Bring him on!

Surprised he could make it down the court on his 190 pounds legs (sarcasm). If he plays SF at 6'9" he can be a matchup problem by flashing into the lane or driving into the lane and using his length and long arms to get off his shot. If he can hit the 3 as advertised, that's a real weapon.

Reactions: Scangg
he continues to remind me of Herve Lamizana

I can see that in two plays in that short clip, the bounce pass assist for a layup and the dunk down the middle of the lane.......I can see Herve making those plays like it was yesterday.,

Heck, Even the rebound and put back was very Herve-like.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT