ADVERTISEMENT

Thiam

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
I know tat everyone says he is a great shooter but the way he shoots he makes himself smaller than 6'9. He has a low release point and he almost takes a set shot. I am sure the staff will work with him in the off season.

Did he attempt a shot last night? Like to see him be more of a factor on offense.

Did he attempt a shot last night? Like to see him be more of a factor on offense.
He was set up outside the arc in the corner at least 3 times in the Miami game where ether Johnson or Sanders tried taking it all the way to the rim on 2 or 3 guys instead of passing it out. It's getting to look like both of those guys are the black holes of basketballs when they decide to drive. Sanders in particular forces too many shots. It would be different if was sinking them, but he not. The defenses know he won't pass out so they collapse on him too.

He was set up outside the arc in the corner at least 3 times in the Miami game where ether Johnson or Sanders tried taking it all the way to the rim on 2 or 3 guys instead of passing it out. It's getting to look like both of those guys are the black holes of basketballs when they decide to drive. Sanders in particular forces too many shots. It would be different if was sinking them, but he not. The defenses know he won't pass out so they collapse on him too.
Its difficult to dribble drive to the basket against a zone defense.Rutgers needs far more practice attacking the zone before league competition starts.Finishing shots around the basket is a area needing major improvement especially with the poor 3 point shooting.

He needs to get physically stronger to be able to get his shot off in traffic. Kid has a ton of potential.

Reactions: higgins3
Pikiell knows he is very important. Hence why he playing him the minutes he is. Thiam is playing good on ball defense, and has a decent eye for what is a good shot.

Besides that, he is not adding a ton. But Pikiell knows the potential, and that is why he is still in there.

Last season for TV games the analyst would rave about how athletic Sanders was and his quickness. Now you hardly hear it. Partly because Johnson is there too and maybe because he doesn't finish a lot of the shots. Just have to hope he draws fouls in the half court sets.
Of course, some of it could be because we're so bad from the outside and the guards try to do too much. Maybe the CS has told them when to go to the basket. As long as we can get some ORs, it's not as bad, but won't happen in the B1G.

Last season for TV games the analyst would rave about how athletic Sanders was and his quickness. Now you hardly hear it. Partly because Johnson is there too and maybe because he doesn't finish a lot of the shots. Just have to hope he draws fouls in the half court sets.
Of course, some of it could be because we're so bad from the outside and the guards try to do too much. Maybe the CS has told them when to go to the basket. As long as we can get some ORs, it's not as bad, but won't happen in the B1G.

Different offense, different coach. This is not as dribble drive as it seems.Last year, Jordan gave the keys to Sanders. You never win by doing that. I would actually hope the guys saw their gaps and went for them more. Right now, it is spacing and quick passing. I am seeing the guys sometimes missing their gap ops.

Still, the team is winning and I like the offense.

Since 52,props!

I hope you are enjoying the season to the fullest. Be loud.

Reactions: RUsince52
Different offense, different coach. This is not as dribble drive as it seems.Last year, Jordan gave the keys to Sanders. You never win by doing that. I would actually hope the guys saw their gaps and went for them more. Right now, it is spacing and quick passing. I am seeing the guys sometimes missing their gap ops.

Still, the team is winning and I like the offense.
It's still a learning process and we're winning.

He needs o make them in the games and not in practice

It seemed like coach was designing plays specifically for Thiam and Laurent towards the end. Thism hit a couple 3s, hopefully that gets him going,

His release looked fine on those late threes. I think it is a confidence thing. We went over this a couple of weeks ago. You don't mess with his release point, just has to get it off faster and be make the decesion to shoot quicker. It will come. Would help to get him some open looks too to get going.

It seemed like coach was designing plays specifically for Thiam and Laurent towards the end. Thism hit a couple 3s, hopefully that gets him going,

What kind of plays?

It seems like Pikiell runs a basic 3 out, 2 in offense, without getting overly complicated.

I like the offense. I just think it could get a little more creative at times, and it will I am sure.

One play was to have Battie curl to the top of the circle over a pick. Thiam was trailing him on a curl from baseline. Battie, stopped, rotated back to pass to Thiam, that was the first 3 he hit.

Laurent was setup on a low post clear-out he had his guy sealed, but unfortunately he hooked his defender and was called for a foul.

One play was to have Battie curl to the top of the circle over a pick. Thiam was trailing him on a curl from baseline. Battie, stopped, rotated back to pass to Thiam, that was the first 3 he hit.

Laurent was setup on a low post clear-out he had his guy sealed, but unfortunately he hooked his defender and was called for a foul.

Thanks.

That sounds like a nice play. Laurent needs to make sure he gives all the effort on defense. I believe that is what is keeping his minutes limited. He is very valuable.

Even though CCSU had a very poor game, we had something to do with it. This is how WE should play against a team that we should beat.. Might not win by 30, but we should be able to control the game and walk away with a win, especially at home. Nice to be able to give some guys playing time and experiment on the offensive end.
We might not do as well in the conference, but this CS will be teaching them how to compete and it could be interesting to watch. We will continue to improve and play sound basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT