ADVERTISEMENT

Things I see too much of in the college game

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
Crank old man rant:
Interior passing. Looks great when it works but creates a lot of turn overs. Every player entering the paint should have a finishing move they can count on.
Step back. Only if you need the space which is bad timing/positioning to start with. Stepping into shots is much more productive. I don't think stepping back improves anybody's percentage.
Cross over. Again it looks good when it works but it produces loose balls and is often done to no effect what-so-ever. Cringe when I see an opening and the player instead goes to a high outside dribble and everyone knows where it's going. Allen Iverson excepted, see it too much.
First step walk. So much travelling without any pressure. Real reflects poorly on coaches and practices. Yet I see it a few times per game even after it was a point of refereeing emphasis a few years back.
Giving up position to go for the block. You know Kofi had very few blocks? Sometimes a block is a great defensive play. A lot of times the defender should have never left his feet.
Run to the corner and stay there. I know it is the style, but I hate that offense now only has three guys who move without the ball. There used to note be a "shooting guard." There used to be a 2G who was a dynamic athlete who had a handle and would drive or dish. Wings used to set picks and move across the court. Used to be part of back door open scoring.

Basketball has changed dramatically with adding the shot clock and the 3 pointer.There is less passing and more one on one dribbling to create a shot or pass to the corners for a open 3 pointer.

Crank old man rant:
Interior passing. Looks great when it works but creates a lot of turn overs. Every player entering the paint should have a finishing move they can count on.
Step back. Only if you need the space which is bad timing/positioning to start with. Stepping into shots is much more productive. I don't think stepping back improves anybody's percentage.
Cross over. Again it looks good when it works but it produces loose balls and is often done to no effect what-so-ever. Cringe when I see an opening and the player instead goes to a high outside dribble and everyone knows where it's going. Allen Iverson excepted, see it too much.
First step walk. So much travelling without any pressure. Real reflects poorly on coaches and practices. Yet I see it a few times per game even after it was a point of refereeing emphasis a few years back.
Giving up position to go for the block. You know Kofi had very few blocks? Sometimes a block is a great defensive play. A lot of times the defender should have never left his feet.
Run to the corner and stay there. I know it is the style, but I hate that offense now only has three guys who move without the ball. There used to note be a "shooting guard." There used to be a 2G who was a dynamic athlete who had a handle and would drive or dish. Wings used to set picks and move across the court. Used to be part of back door open scoring.
I feel you, but I had to drop this on you 🤣 :

Complain All That GIF by NickRewind

I can agree with some of the rants but not completely with number one, especially when it comes to our team right now. And I’ll add one more old fart rant since I’m a middle age fart: having numbers on the break and kicking it back out for 3 instead of going for the higher percentage shot.

Cross over lol... this is the most basic move there is pretty much off the dribble. Hesitation dribble only one more simple and it's not really a dribbling move

Reactions: RU_DIO and RUby RED
In other words:Basketball needs more players like George Yardley and less like Durant

For the record, I've got no problem with tatoos, trash talk, coach-killers, NIL, one-and-done, transfers, players smoking more than Dodge K-cars, AAU, or prima donnas. I think Kevin Durant handles his business on the court like nobody else.

For the record, I've got no problem with tatoos, trash talk, coach-killers, NIL, one-and-done, transfers, players smoking more than Dodge K-cars, AAU, or prima donnas. I think Kevin Durant handles his business on the court like nobody else.
yes and the team related business he handles off the court makes him a symbol of the modern basketball era..
Making sure the talent you posses gives you a say in the your career is handled.
Can't say that is a real bad thing, just something that now is more upfront and part of the pro game, like NILs are part of college sports.

I miss proper dribbling of a basketball instead of all this palming the ball shart.

I can agree with some of the rants but not completely with number one, especially when it comes to our team right now. And I’ll add one more old fart rant since I’m a middle age fart: having numbers on the break and kicking it back out for 3 instead of going for the higher percentage shot.

I was taught and always taught my players when you're a wing to get to the block as quickly as possible on the break. Now the wings stop at the three point line. :(

I was taught and always taught my players when you're a wing to get to the block as quickly as possible on the break. Now the wings stop at the three point line. :(
Yes and I think the opposite is taught today.

I miss the days when a sharpshooter shot 35% from the floor.

Are you saying it's too high now?
You miss players missing shots?

I actually see too many missed shots in college now.
I'm here to see skill and success.
Give me all the made baskets.

First step walk. So much travelling without any pressure.
Another "Iverson" right here! I remember watching him at THE RAC for the first time and being absolutely STUNNED at the # of times he walked during the game. Not only before his 1st dribble but, even worse, with the 2.5 steps AFTER the dribble (instead of 1.5). Completely changed the game and he was allowed to get away with it from Day 1.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Another "Iverson" right here! I remember watching him at THE RAC for the first time and being absolutely STUNNED at the # of times he walked during the game. Not only before his 1st dribble but, even worse, with the 2.5 steps AFTER the dribble (instead of 1.5). Completely changed the game and he was allowed to get away with it from Day 1.
I thought we only played Georgetown away our first year (and his last) in the Big East. I never missed a game and I never saw him play in person in college.

Reactions: RUPete
I'll never understand the Eurostep. Back in the day you were allowed a step and a half (if your second step hit the floor that was a travel).
Not true anymore?
Now it's like when you played "May I" ? when you were a kid.
"May I take two giant steps to the basket?"
"Yes you may."

Last edited:
I thought we only played Georgetown away our first year (and his last) in the Big East. I never missed a game and I never saw him play in person in college.
That’s correct. He may be thinking about that first game on the road on TV. Never remember seeing him at the RAC.

That’s correct. He may be thinking about that first game on the road on TV. Never remember seeing him at the RAC.
You guys are probably right, lol, too many games over the years BUT regardless!

You guys are probably right, lol, too many games over the years BUT regardless!
No idea why I remember this but the game was on Sportschannel or something that we didn't get on our cable package. But, you could actually buy the game a la carte for like $5 which I did. Imagine that. What a concept. The fact that I remember this 27 years later is a little frightening.

• Haha
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I'll never understand the Eurostep. Back in the day you were allowed a step and a half (if your second step hit the floor that was a travel).
Not true anymore?
Now it's like when you played "May I" ? when you were a kid.
"May I take two giant steps to the basket?"
"Yes you may."
The sideways step often makes it look like a travel when it isn't. Sometimes it is a travel, though.

Reactions: colbert17
If they ever start going to NBA rules re: zone defense and wider lanes... I may give up basketball forever. I wonder if a lot of players have grown up watching the NBA and wants to mimic those moves in college.. thereby enhancing their draftability.

It is a different game.. and that's great.

ADVERTISEMENT