ADVERTISEMENT

This collapse could be epic

I am surprised at the venom spewed here. It’s a message board and predictions and forecasts are part of this. I hope we win out . But the fact is we lost 3 of 4 and needed a huge comeback for the win we had, which was against the worst team in the league.
But we have a game today and it’s a great opportunity. Just win baby
I don't blame you. Like many of us you're suffering from the Rutgers Complex. There's no medication for it and the only therapy is winning. The last few games have only worsened the condition.

Plum has always been a negative Nancy... got to love those Loyal Rutgers message board fans who totally
out of touch... what was Plums prediction before the season began ? Do everyone a favor Plum and just go back into your cave man.

Negative Nancy......lol. Reminds me of South Park And Kyle.

giphy.gif

How is it the worst ? It isn’t simply stating if we collapse - which is a possibility - it will be epic .

I am with you. I actually think that the team will lose out. (I REALLY hope I am wrong.) Why? The remaining schedule is EXTREMELY tough! And, the team needed a big run to avoid losing to the worst team in the conference. Yes, it will hurt a lot if they do lose the remaining six games and not make the tournament. The near misses of the Bannon and Waters team were nightmares. However, you probably would have gotten less hate if you said "hurt a lot" instead of "epic collapse".

EDIT: BTW, I disagree with you about next season. Barring transfers, it's more than likely that the team will make the tournament next season. It's almost guaranteed if Pike can get Cliff to come.

Last edited:
I haven't read this thread, but I too agree that Iowa could be on the verge of an epic collapse. I mean look at this schedule:

at Minnesota
Ohio St
at Michigan St
Penn St
Purdue
at Illinois

Do you see another win there? With that defense??? I know the offense is great but do they even run a defense?

Can a 17-14 Iowa team make the tournament?????

Reactions: ILikePike
I haven't read this thread, but I too agree that Iowa could be on the verge of an epic collapse. I mean look at this schedule:

at Minnesota
Ohio St
at Michigan St
Penn St
Purdue
at Illinois

Do you see another win there? With that defense??? I know the offense is great but do they even run a defense?

They are very good at home. They will win at least 2 at home

Reactions: fluoxetine
I am surprised at this bac. You are usually a voice of reason and objectivity here . How can you say collapsing is not even a possibility?

You can post whatever you want on this forum. And people can post what a dickhead you are on here too. It's what you wanted. Because after all, you can't be wrong with this post. We either don't make the NCAA tournament and you will say you were right with the epic collapse. Or we make it, and you will say you hoped that would happen. You can't be wrong.

Just remember, we were picked to finish 12th. Anything above that can be considered a success. That's also posting a fact. But I'm sure you won't look at it that way.

If we don’t make the tournament, this will be an epic collapse . Something this group and pike may never recover from. The pressure will be too great next season . And if you’re not gonna make the tournament in year 5, than when are you gonna make it ?
Bannon’s team collapsed in 99 and he was fired 2 years later. Waters collapsed in 04 and we was fired 2 years later .
Basically just get this done now and don’t collapse . Make the tournament and make us proud

The way the team has played all year shows that they can win every game left or lose every one. This is the toughest part of the schedule. It would stink if somehow we didn’t manage another win.. I think that unlikely. But like others on the board, I take issue with calling it a would be “epic “ collapse. We are who we are. Is our talent better than anyone left on the schedule? I think it’s reasonable to question what the team has in store over the remaining schedule but that word I think rubs people the wrong way .. its a “dramatic “ word , hence people’s reactions

The way the team has played all year shows that they can win every game left or lose every one. This is the toughest part of the schedule. It would stink if somehow we didn’t manage another win.. I think that unlikely. But like others on the board, I take issue with calling it a would be “epic “ collapse. We are who we are. Is our talent better than anyone left on the schedule? I think it’s reasonable to question what the team has in store over the remaining schedule but that word I think rubs people the wrong way .. its a “dramatic “ word , hence people’s reactions

This ^^^^^

Well said

If we don’t make the tournament, this will be an epic collapse . Something this group and pike may never recover from. The pressure will be too great next season . And if you’re not gonna make the tournament in year 5, than when are you gonna make it ?
Bannon’s team collapsed in 99 and he was fired 2 years later. Waters collapsed in 04 and we was fired 2 years later .
Basically just get this done now and don’t collapse . Make the tournament and make us proud

May never recover from?

Lol what a soft little turd. Stop being an attention seeking drama queen.

Epic definition...
particularly impressive or remarkable.

Collapse definition...
an instance of a structure falling down or in.

Even if they lose their next 6 games, the structure of this team will not fall down. What would NET 32 Rutgers facing the next 6 games against teams of their similar rankings between NET 8 and 36 be epic or cause a collapse to this team?

Last year, they were 14-14 and lost their last 3, could've finished over .500. That wasn't a collapse, it happened due to circumstances/result of what happened to Thiam.

Epic collapse would be Rutgers losing their last 3 games against NW Nebraska and Indiana by blowout for no good reason or injury.

Reactions: MadRU
Enjoy the game today - this is our last Quad 2 game of the season. It's Quad 1 the rest of the way. I trust our team. They have earned our trust.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you're capable of solving the problem.” ...Gene Kranz

Reactions: bac2therac
Collapse of what? Are you kidding me? So the expectations are to go from losing most of the time to winning all the time? I was at the Ohio State game. This is a new Rutgers team. They are competitive with a great coach. Relax and enjoy whatever happens. The real expectations will kick in next year.

This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen in my life.

yeah no sh*t this would be a epic collapse if they lost every game left on the schedule just like it would be an epic collapse for every other bubble team if they lost all remaining games on their schedule.. I am not even sure it would be epic based on how bad Rutgers has been over last 30 years. To be honest it should be expected. So collapse yes. Epic? Debatable

Plum street should be banned from ever creating a thread ever again based on this. What is next? Steve pikiell is white? Rutgers wears red? Geo is a junior? Shaq carter should not shoot 3s?

Yeah, but it’s hard to disagree with me since I have gone out on a limb many times on this board and have been proven right . Calling flood a dud in 2012 saying ash will get us smashed the day he was hired .
Remember those ?
I took similar heat when I predicted those things . I have a strong enough body of work and accuracy on this board that I shouldn’t be met with hostility . Because you know there is a chance that I may be right - again! It’s sports and predictions and projections are part of this . Now I don’t predict a collapse, but I do realize an epic one is a possibility

Sorry, but you had plenty of company on Flood and Ash, including yours truly, whereas you have almost nobody thinking this is a good thread given how you've presented it. The biggest problem with your post is your thread title: "this collapse could be epic" says we're already in the midst of a collapse, which is not the case, as we lost 2 road games and a neutral site game to 3 very good teams, all in close fashion - none of those was a "bad" loss. And we had an incredible comeback win against NW. And if we finish 1-5 and don't make it, those will all likely be Q1 losses, which would suck, but wouldn't be an "epic collapse" as I said in my other post on this - in 98/99 we lost 2 of our last 4 games to SHU/Georgetown, who finished 9th and 10th in a 13-team BE that sent 5 to the tourney - those were bad losses.

Meh. If anything is going do Pike in, it’s his recruiting. We should be at least as good next year, and if we’re still recruiting in the bottom quarter of the league, it will be more telling of where we’ll be longer term.

If Pike is too intense in finding those "diamonds in the rough" that play hard D only, I agree that we will not be able to make it to the top of this really tough league. Somewhere along the line you need proven shooters, even if you give something up on defense.

You can post whatever you want on this forum. And people can post what a dickhead you are on here too. It's what you wanted. Because after all, you can't be wrong with this post. We either don't make the NCAA tournament and you will say you were right with the epic collapse. Or we make it, and you will say you hoped that would happen. You can't be wrong.

Just remember, we were picked to finish 12th. Anything above that can be considered a success. That's also posting a fact. But I'm sure you won't look at it that way.

This is well said . If I am wrong we are in the tournament.

This will be the most epic run in RU history since at least 1989 when we go 6-0 against this schedule. We were picked 12th and with a win today, we will be in 4th with three weeks to go. Pike could be B1G coach of the year when the season ends.

Sorry, but you had plenty of company on Flood and Ash, including yours truly, whereas you have almost nobody thinking this is a good thread given how you've presented it. The biggest problem with your post is your thread title: "this collapse could be epic" says we're already in the midst of a collapse, which is not the case, as we lost 2 road games and a neutral site game to 3 very good teams, all in close fashion - none of those was a "bad" loss. And we had an incredible comeback win against NW. And if we finish 1-5 and don't make it, those will all likely be Q1 losses, which would suck, but wouldn't be an "epic collapse" as I said in my other post on this - in 98/99 we lost 2 of our last 4 games to SHU/Georgetown, who finished 9th and 10th in a 13-team BE that sent 5 to the tourney - those were bad losses.

Plenty of company, including yours truly ?
I don’t remember you going out on the limb when these guys were hired . I am not saying you didn’t , but I am asking you to please show your work . There’s a search feature .
I will eat crow when you bump or provide links.

People need to lay off plum a little bit too. I think he’s a consistent pessimist who needs to relax a little bit but he is a fan that wants to see Rutgers win too.

thank you! I wouldn’t say I am a pessimist, but I am realistic . I have followed and rooted for this program for decades and most of the time disappointed. I hope that’s not the case but I am prepared for it!

Reactions: RutgersNYCB1G
thank you! I wouldn’t say I am a pessimist, but I am realistic . I have followed and rooted for this program for decades and most of the time disappointed. I hope that’s not the case but I am prepared for it!
Starting a thread right before out biggest game in years (home game no less) about what if we lose every game we have left. Can someone please tell me how is that realism? If I said we could win the rest of our games including winning the B1G tourney people would say I have lost my mind. Either of Plum’s outcome or mine have the potential to happen.
Realism to me is this. Simple, we have to play our best basketball the rest of the way out. If we can do that we have the potential to win games and make noise in the tourney(s).

Starting a thread right before out biggest game in years (home game no less) about what if we lose every game we have left. Can someone please tell me how is that realism? If I said we could win the rest of our games including winning the B1G tourney people would say I have lost my mind. Either of Plum’s outcome or mine have the potential to happen.
Realism to me is this. Simple, we have to play our best basketball the rest of the way out. If we can do that we have the potential to win games and make noise in the tourney(s).

Maybe start a thread “if we go on a huge run it will be epic “

Maybe start a thread “if we go on a huge run it will be epic “
Realism should also have to do with probability. The probability is we will go somewhere between losing every game we have left and winning every game we have left. Let’s concentrate more on what we can do for the team. Will be at the RAC cheering on Pike and our boys.

I get that people are convincing themselves to expect failure to insulate themselves from possible disappointment, but this one is a bit over the top.

Reactions: ILikePike

at Minnesota
Ohio St
at Michigan St
Penn St
Purdue
at Illinois

Iowa is a far different team at home and will be favored against Purdue ,Penn State and Ohio State.

What everyone seems to be unaware of is our record at 7-3 was solely based on how the schedule fell. We'd played 10 games but 6 at home. And we managed to grab the win at Nebraska.
Now the schedule has balanced out so we've lost the road games and won the home games. Just like we have all season.

No swoon. Just keep holding serve and we'll be fine since we already have one break.
Yes OP was a needless over-reaction.. but you have to admit we looked STRONGER in early Big Ten play, win or lose. We lost at Illinois.. but looked like the better team. That hasn't happened in awhile.

We do look like we are playing worse... but still have a few flashes of how we played earlier in the season. Hopefully, today we see mostly superior play with a very few flashes of incompetence.

BTW.. Ohio State hosting Purdue.. looks familiar.. OSU s playing well but every NON-call is in their favor. The can be as aggressive as they like on D. Haven't seen them erase a foul for Weston.. but otherwise very similar.

Reactions: Plum Street
The second half of our league schedule is more difficult. 4 home games, 6 away. Only one game vs bottom 2 teams. This 10 game stretch was always going to be difficult.

I would say you are a pessimist. Relax. If it doesn’t work out, there was nothing you could have done to make it work out

Reactions: Plum Street
Plenty of company, including yours truly ?
I don’t remember you going out on the limb when these guys were hired . I am not saying you didn’t , but I am asking you to please show your work . There’s a search feature .
I will eat crow when you bump or provide links.

You might want to get off your high horse. Search feature isn't working and hasn't for months, but I actually found/linked my post on your Ash will get us smashed thread (which I complimented you on) and the board retention doesn't go back to the Flood days, but I was not a fan of hiring an OL coach with no history of being a head coach, when there were plenty of better choices (I wanted Cristobal at the time), plus, I posted some "inside info" at the time on how lazy and difficult Flood could be from a friend who had business dealings with Flood, but there's near zero chance of either one of us finding any posts on what we thought about Flood at the time. I also have a pretty good track record on inside info on all things Schiano.

ADVERTISEMENT