ADVERTISEMENT

This is a "growing pains" year

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
I know a lot of you don't want to hear it, but next year is the year we need to start winning. The four freshmen will have a year under their belts and they along with Geo and Eugene and Carter should take that next step. Add in Mulcahy and jacob Young and that will be the year to judge Pike on his won loss record

I think this is probably accurate. Big need to develop our shooting from the arc and free throw line. I think the young guys will get better as they get more established

In general, the newcomers collectively had their best game last night. Mathis coming on strong. We are capable of playing well. Just have to do it more consistently and that takes seasoning.

This was definitely a growth year for the team to get them ready to make a move in 2019-20.

The one piece that's missing for me is another big body that can play minutes at the 5.

If Doucoure really is more of a PF (where he's been practicing, and more in line with his 6-9 height), then we're essentially three deep at every position but center.... where it's just Johnson.

This is the kind of year that Hill and Rice both had and they failed to build on.

2009 Hill had Rosario, Chandler, Echenique, Coburn, and Pettis as freshman or sophomores. Only Coburn of those guys finished their career here.

2012 Rice had Mack, Carter, Biruta, Seagears, Jack, and Poole as freshman or sophomores. Only Mack and Jack finished their careers here. This 2012 team went 6-12 in the Big East and had the Florida win.

Heck even Eddie had Sanders, Williams, Foreman, and Laurent as freshman or sophomores in 2016.

Recruiting needs to improve but if we merely hold on to the talent we have then we'll already be in better shape than we've been in under the last three coaches.

I've said this before, but I liken this season to a round of golf. We're going to shoot a 110, but we're going to hit about 6 or 7 really nice shots that keep us coming back, and that give us hope for the next round/season.

Hopefully we break a 100 next year...

ADVERTISEMENT