ADVERTISEMENT

This is for...

soundcrib

All American
Oct 7, 2002
When the Boston Red Sox were down 3 games to 0 to the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS, someone started a thread on their fans’ “Sons of Sam Horn” message board. The thread was named, “Win it For”. Certainly, the thread took on new life and meaning before Game 1 of the World Series. The thread became so popular the submissions eventually became a book. Ultimately, the Red Sox defeated the Yankees and went on to win the World Series, their first in 86 years. I’m a Mets fan, but respect the history of the game(s) and remember stumbling on that thread. As sports fans, regardless of your allegiance, you know how much the Red Sox means to their fan base. Like all of you I’ve waited for this moment for a long time. I’ve also waited to make this post. This program and this team have meant so much to all of us. Equally, this team has meant so much to the individuals and moments that resonated with us along this journey. We’ve finally punched our ticket to the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. I hope you get to share who this is for.

This is for my good friends who attended Rutgers with me in the 90s. I entered Rutgers in 1994. We experienced euphoria and heartbreak between the Atlantic 10 and the Big East, sitting in student season tickets right behind the bench and the scorer’s table. We thought we were dancing when Earl Johnson threw down a thunderous dunk down the stretch vs Georgetown at The RAC. Somehow we lost that game, and tournament hopes along with it.

This is for my favorite players throughout the years: Charles Jones, Damon Santiago, Chris Lee, Geoff Billet, Eric Clark, Earl Johnson, Jeff Greer, Dahntay Jones, Alvydas Tenys, Quincy Douby, Herve Lamizana, Jerome Coleman, Corey Sanders, Geo Baker, Akwasi Yeboah, Myles Johnson, Jacob Young, and Ron Harper Jr. Additionally, everyone on this season’s roster have become my favorite players.

This is for those who remember and lived through Rutgers being a “basketball school” rather than a “football school”. We are a “basketball school” again.

This is for 1999, 2004, and 2020.

This is for everyone that was fortunate to experience 1991.

This is for my two sons and daughter who sat with me at the RAC over the years and also heard me yell at the television from either sitting next to me on the couch or from their rooms.

This is for everyone on this message board who only can understand the joy and mostly pain that we all experienced together. We are the die hards.

This is for my good friend who’s a Rutgers hater.

This is for my very good friends in section 216 who are some of the best people I have ever known.

This is for me. Rutgers basketball has been a source of love and joy for me since 1994. This program has become my number 1 team for nearly 30 years, overtaking my beloved New York Mets. The champagne tastes sweeter today.

“Your family, your religion, and Rutgers Basketball.”

Last edited:
When the Boston Red Sox were down 3 games to 0 to the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS, someone started a thread on their fans’ “Sons of Sam Horn” message board. The thread was named, “Win it For”. Certainly, the thread took on new life and meaning before Game 1 of the World Series. The thread became so popular the submissions eventually became a book. Ultimately, the Red Sox defeated the Yankees and went on to win the World Series, their first in 86 years. I’m a Mets fan, but respect the history of the game(s) and remember stumbling on that thread. As sports fans, regardless of your allegiance, you know how much the Red Sox means to their fan base. Like all of you I’ve waited for this moment for a long time. I’ve also waited to make this post. This program and this team have meant so much to all of us. Equally, this team has meant so much to the individuals and moments that resonated with us along this journey. We’ve finally punched our ticket to the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. I hope you get to share who this is for.

This is for my good friends who attended Rutgers with me in the 90s. I entered Rutgers in 1994. We experienced euphoria and heartbreak between the Atlantic 10 and the Big East, sitting in student season tickets right behind the bench and the scorer’s table. We thought we were dancing when Earl Johnson threw down a thunderous dunk down the stretch vs Georgetown at The RAC. Somehow we lost that game, and tournament hopes along with it.

This is for my favorite players throughout the years: Damon Santiago, Chris Lee, Geoff Billet, Eric Clark, Earl Johnson, Geoff Greer, Dahntay Jones, Alvydas Tenys, Quincy Douby, Herve Lamizana, Jerome Coleman, Corey Sanders, Geo Baker, Akwasi Yeboah, Myles Johnson, Jacob Young, and Ron Harper Jr. Additionally, everyone on this season’s roster have become my favorite players.

This is for those who remember and lived through Rutgers being a “basketball school” rather than a “football school”. We are a “basketball school” again.

This is for my two sons and daughter who sat with me at the RAC over the years and also heard me yell at the television from either sitting next to me on the couch or from their rooms.

This is for everyone on this message board who only can understand the joy and mostly pain that we all experienced together. We are the die hards.

This is for my very good friends in section 216 who are some of the best people I have ever known.

This is for me. Rutgers basketball has been a source of love and joy for me since 1994. This program has become my number 1 team for nearly 30 years, overtaking my beloved New York Mets. The champagne tastes sweeter today.

Great post Crib. As a longtime Yankee fan, that series was heart-wrenching. Everything you stated, spot on! I'm a little older than you are and I remember all of the great and not so great moments of Rutgers basketball. Even though I knew our named would be called, I still exhaled after our name was called.

Reactions: soundcrib
I am in the same boat. I joined Rutgers in 1994 also and used to play basketball against the first half of those those guys on Livingston and College ave in pickup games..so much fun! Still think Charles Jones was the best dunker I have ever seen live as he could jump out of the gym.

This is euphoria right now and yes I haven't suffered as much as others in terms of years but basketball has always been my favorite sport. I only knew Rutgers as a basketball school sitting through that 1st half of a Umass game sit in and watching us be competitive over the years but never getting over the hump(like beating Cuse the year they won with Melo). This years team is just amazing to watch and hope we find the magic we had in December as I love the bracket we got

This is for my favorite players throughout the years: Charles Jones, Damon Santiago, Chris Lee, Geoff Billet, Eric Clark, Earl Johnson, Geoff Greer, Dahntay Jones, Alvydas Tenys, Quincy Douby, Herve Lamizana, Jerome Coleman, Corey Sanders, Geo Baker, Akwasi Yeboah, Myles Johnson, Jacob Young, and Ron Harper Jr. Additionally, everyone on this season’s roster have become my favorite players.

+ Rob Hodgson and Salvi!

This is for @Good-Knight and @knights1212 .

This is great stuff...

As a kid who first got season tickets with his dad the year the RAC opened up in November 1977....and grew up scarlet, and graduates from RC in 1992....it is with unbelievable excitement that we are finally back in the NCAA.

My dad, brother and I have been going for nearly 45 years now ...and my teenage sons bleed scarlet as well.

If it wasn’t for the COVID...I would be in Indy. My dad just got the first shot and it’s too soon for him to risk going ...and I just won’t go without him ...

Those who are going ...wear scarlet and be LOUD

I had season tickets for about 18 seasons from the early 1990’s until little Freddie Hill beat the last ounce of enthusiasm out of me. To finally have an NCAA tournament appearance after all of these years is nothing short of joyous!

This is a long time coming. My first year at Rutgers was 1983. RU fans have seen a lot of lousy basketball over the last 3 decades; more lousy basketball than any devoted fan base should have to endure. It looks like it's changing for the better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT