ADVERTISEMENT

This is not the Rutgers I know

I've been killing Barchi every since the Rice\Pernetti firings, Hermann hiring. Always have said true leadership starts at the top. I'm giving Barchi a lot of props on the quick house cleaning, and having hires on deck. Quick decisive action. Impressed......not the historical dragged out bungling. Agree with OP.

Dude, sounds like you need an enema. Quickly. Sorry your boy is gone.

Huh? You have no idea what you are talking about. I couldn't care less about Flood being fired, or Julie for that mater, even though I did like her.

The selection of Hobbs as our permanent AD, which was done at Christie's direction, is extremely alarming. If you cant see that you either don't know what's going on, don't know the players involved, or don't know what political games are being played. Given the intellect displayed in your response, i'd suspect all 3.

They fire a coach and an AD and the SAME DAY they announce the new AD and state that the new coach will be announced soon. WTF. As Eric Foster said - I LOOOOVE IT!!!!!!
We haven't moved this fast and stealthily since Hafley recruited for us..lol...i LOVE IT.

Reactions: kennyschiano
Except for the fact that the new AD is a political appointee, fed to Barchi by the pols in Trenton. Sure. What could possibly go wrong?

Does any other P5 school behave in this manner?

Um, Michigan, Illinois?

Edit -- Got your point crossed with another. You're going after the political angle. That's not necessarily what's happening with Michigan and Illinois, but firing both the AD and Coach seems to be trendy.

Barchi is a boss. He saw the issues, formulated a plan, and enacted it before anyone knew anything.

Dude is killing it.

Reactions: kennyschiano
Huh? You have no idea what you are talking about. I couldn't care less about Flood being fired, or Julie for that mater, even though I did like her.

The selection of Hobbs as our permanent AD, which was done at Christie's direction, is extremely alarming. If you cant see that you either don't know what's going on, don't know the players involved, or don't know what political games are being played. Given the intellect displayed in your response, i'd suspect all 3.
We'll see F. Lee Bailey.

WTF cares if he was a political appointee. If he gets Trenton to notice us all the better. What really matters is if he hires good subordinates, sets direction, motivates and gets $$$$$.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
If you read Barchi's email, he basically spells out what happened. He says that he decided to fire Hermann last week. He then began looking for an interim AD to act while a national search was performed to find the best candidate. Then, on a "strong recommendation" he became aware of Patrick Hobbs. Patrick Hobbs was then offered the job on a permanent basis, and he accepted.

Barchi was hand picked by Chris Christie. Patrick Hobbs is a Christie guy, was working for Christie. So we went from national search for a qualified Athletic Director to Christie calling Barchi and telling him who to hire. You guys all see that, right? So once Christie is out of office, how useful do you think a Christie guy is in Trenton? This is nothing more than cronyism. This is Christie telling his appointee Barchi, to hire one of his other buddies. Get it?

No more national search. No more qualified candidates. Just this is the guy you get, because Barchi owes Christie. And people are celebrating it because it happened quickly.

Assuming he would make in the neighborhood of Julie, this guy needs the RU job like he needs a second hole in his pecker.

He was making > 450k at Shoe.

Your story only holds water if he *needs* the job. Which he doesn't.

Is he Christie's boy? Yes. And that's all the better.

We need the spigot turned on from Trenton. Between Hobbs and Lesniak, CC and Trenton gonna make it rain over the Hale Center.

Bout time too...

If you read Barchi's email, he basically spells out what happened. He says that he decided to fire Hermann last week. He then began looking for an interim AD to act while a national search was performed to find the best candidate. Then, on a "strong recommendation" he became aware of Patrick Hobbs. Patrick Hobbs was then offered the job on a permanent basis, and he accepted.

Barchi was hand picked by Chris Christie. Patrick Hobbs is a Christie guy, was working for Christie. So we went from national search for a qualified Athletic Director to Christie calling Barchi and telling him who to hire. You guys all see that, right? So once Christie is out of office, how useful do you think a Christie guy is in Trenton? This is nothing more than cronyism. This is Christie telling his appointee Barchi, to hire one of his other buddies. Get it?

No more national search. No more qualified candidates. Just this is the guy you get, because Barchi owes Christie. And people are celebrating it because it happened quickly.

And watch how quickly he's out on his ass, along with Barchi if he's still around, after Lesniak wins the Governor's office in 2017.

FWIW Uncle Ray approves of the Hobbs hire, or is at least paying it positive lip service, on social media.

If these guys aren't acting in the best interests of the entirety of Rutgers U., VERY much including athletics, heads will roll.

Assuming he would make in the neighborhood of Julie, this guy needs the RU job like he needs a second hole in his pecker.

We need the spigot turned on from Trenton. Between Hobbs and Lesniak, CC and Trenton gonna make it rain over the Hale Center.

Bout time too...

I just disagree. This entire state is a huge cesspool politically. Nothing is going to be given to Rutgers without appropriate favors in return. This is the first hook back in to the Rutgers AD, and the Big Ten money isn't even here yet. The decision making positions within the AD will be filled with unqualified cronies in short order. So now when the Big Ten money starts coming in, decision making control will already be in the hands of the right people. Lots of contracts to hand out when and if we start building. They aren't going to give us a damn thing. They want control of what Rutgers is going to be getting.

If that is not your goal, you hire a college athletics professional to run a Big Ten AD.

I do hope you are right and I am wrong though.

With this moving so quickly, I would have to assume that the new HC is Greg Schiano!

Uncle Bob was a political appointee, and people here want to build a statue for the man.

Bout time too...
Bull!

2 words: Kevin Willard

A whole bunch of words

Fred Hill Jr.

Mike RIce

Kyle Flood

And Tim was a varsity football player and some make believe media titan.

I'll take a seasoned leader and administrator over a guy who knows the working end of a jock strap.

And if Greg is introduced Tuesday morning, what say you then?

A whole bunch of words

Fred Hill Jr.

Mike RIce

Kyle Flood

And Tim was a varsity football player and some make believe media titan.

I'll take a seasoned leader and administrator over a guy who knows the working end of a jock strap.

And if Greg is introduced Tuesday morning, what say you then?
Kevin Willard is still a terrible hire, just like the others, but I'm not advocating to bring back TP so I'm not sure how that's relevant in evaluating Hobbs . Hobbs has leadership & political connections. Hope it works out.

Maybe not but what makes you think he won't surround himself with "recommendations" from Chris Christie of other people looking for work? I hope the optimists are right that a connection to the governor will work in our favor but put me down as wary.

I've been killing Barchi every since the Rice\Pernetti firings, Hermann hiring. Always have said true leadership starts at the top. I'm giving Barchi a lot of props on the quick house cleaning, and having hires on deck. Quick decisive action. Impressed......not the historical dragged out bungling. Agree with OP.

True leadership would have acted weeks ago. This SI writer is correct:

"Rutgers: Poor Rutgers. One of college football's hardest jobs will become even more difficult to fill because the administration didn't get its act together to fire Kyle Flood or Julie Hermann yet. (NJ.com reported that Hermann and Rutgers president Robert Barchi were scheduled to meet on Saturday.) These were OBVIOUS MOVES FOR MONTHS, and now the school is behind places it should be competing with for coaches like Iowa State and Syracuse. Same old Rutgers. There's still an expectation that Flood will be fired, and it's hard to fathom Hermann will have a hand in recruiting the next coach. But this is Rutgers, where common sense in athletics long departed.

Prediction: Joe Moglia, if he doesn't get scooped up first"

Where will the dominos fall? A comprehensive look at the latest in the volatile coaching carousel
http://www.campusrush.com/les-miles-mark-richt-coaching-carousel-1481714899.html

I actually don't give a crap if Hobbs WAS a political favor, as long as he can extricate the university's athletic programs from their current state. However, I'm pretty sure Barchi doesn't owe the governor any favors; maybe to the Bd. of Gov, but not Christie.

Mic
Except for the fact that the new AD is a political appointee, fed to Barchi by the pols in Trenton. Sure. What could possibly go wrong?

Does any other P5 school behave in this manner?
Michigan. Texas and ND have all sabotaged new coaching hires within recent memory. I'm sure there are others... Political infighting goes on all over the place.

Not plugged in enough to know, or even speculate, about the political input. I just know that it's so un-Rutgers to act this quickly and decisively on anything.

Not plugged in enough to know, or even speculate, about the political input. I just know that it's so un-Rutgers to act this quickly and decisively on anything.

Yes just the fact they didn't go the academic style "Let's form a search committee with members from every constituency on campus to take months to do a 'national' search'" is a big deal.

Understand and even share the concern but not all political appointments are awful. I don't think Hobbs is a Zoffinger level appointment. Probably closer to Mulchay. We'll see. If the coach search is Brown and Hobbs talking to a professional search firm with Barchi giving final approval we'll know this is moving in the right direction in terms of process.

They fire a coach and an AD and the SAME DAY they announce the new AD and state that the new coach will be announced soon. WTF. As Eric Foster said - I LOOOOVE IT!!!!!!
The last school I remember that fired a high profile coach and AD at the same time was not too long ago ... maybe you recall Tim Pernetti and Mike Rice?

lol some people will never be happy...OC will be the guy botching about 90th row end zone corner seats when we (finally) go to The Rose Bowl....and I'm sure he'll find some conspiracy to blame it on...

Yes just the fact they didn't go the academic style "Let's form a search committee with members from every constituency on campus to take months to do a 'national' search'" is a big deal.

Understand and even share the concern but not all political appointments are awful. I don't think Hobbs is a Zoffinger level appointment. Probably closer to Mulchay. We'll see. If the coach search is Brown and Hobbs talking to a professional search firm with Barchi giving final approval we'll know this is moving in the right direction in terms of process.

Wow. it didn't take long for this to get back to Mulcahy and Zoffinger.

ADVERTISEMENT