ADVERTISEMENT

This is the QB RU Should Get from the Portal- Will Be 30 years old in September

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
The one who told Ben Mauk to hold my prune juice!

He has NY connections. They type of player Greg likes- older, can mentor the younger QBs.

"Prior to UNT: Spent the spring of 2018 at Arkansas ... Spent six seasons in the New York Yankees organization, spending the last two seasons at High-A Tampa ... Selected in the second round, as the 89th overall pick in the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft ... Originally a three-star prospect who signed with TCU ... Threw for 3,411 yards and 33 touchdowns and rushed for 538 yards and nine more touchdowns as a senior at Argyle HS"

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINT

I'd take him and Seth Littrell as the offensive coordinator in a heartbeat. These no-name Texas schools all score points and they always find quarterbacks who can throw the ball all over the place.
Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Seth Littrell would be a home run hire. From the Leach tree. Offensive coordinator at Indiana under Kevin Wilson and UNC.
Indiana 2012- Indiana 2nd in B1G in passing offense and #2 in offense
Indiana 2013- same as 2012 and 38 points per game

UNC- had top 5 offense and #2 in passing offense in year 1, and #2/#2 in year 2.

Earlier in career as OC at ASU- had them at #2 in passing offense and at 33 points per game.

Found this on a report on Graham Harrell hired as OC at Purdue: "it was in 2015 that former Texas Tech running back Seth Littrell was hired at North Texas and his first move was the hire Harrell to run the Air Raid which found great success. Prior to Harrell’s hiring, North Texas had ranked in the bottom 25 of the country in passing, total yards, and points but by 2017 and 2018 the offense ranked in the top 25 nationally in all three categories."

Greg coached with Kevin Wilson at Ohio State. Littrell was OC under Wilson at Indiana.
Makes too much sense. Won't happen.

@rutgersguy1 - how do we make this happen?

Last edited:
Reactions: AdventureHasAName
A man, not a kid, like that wouldn't be coming here to sit behind Wimsatt and we have been told by the experts on this board Wimsatt is so fragile emotionally that if he is even challenged for the starting job this off season he will transfer. I thought most of the expert posters on this board were in love with Wimsatt, now you want to bring in a man who will replace him as the starter and risk him transferring, I don't get it.

A man, not a kid, like that wouldn't be coming here to sit behind Wimsatt and we have been told by the experts on this board Wimsatt is so fragile emotionally that if he is even challenged for the starting job this off season he will transfer. I thought most of the expert posters on this board were in love with Wimsatt, now you want to bring in a man who will replace him as the starter and risk him transferring, I don't get it.
If the coaches’ decision are based on a player transferring because of competition, we have lost already. If GW doesn’t prove next year he is gone anyway.

When Sit and those before him failed under Ash, I wasn’t one to blame it on QB play. And I’m not saying all the problems on offense are on GW now, but slight improvement from where he’s at now isn’t going to get us more than 4 wins next season no matter how much improvement we see at other positions.

I get it - we didn’t have a very good OL or skill position players for him to build around but that doesn’t change the fact that at this point GW cannot complete simple short route passes with any consistency. I’m not talking about when pressure is coming - he misses wide open receivers when he’s not being pressured. He’s a very inaccurate QB right now. And that’s not going to get it done at the competition level we are at.

It’s possible we see a big jump next year of course, but that would have to happen for us to be remotely competitive. We can’t get to 6-6 with him like he is now.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Seth Littrell would be a home run hire. From the Leach tree. Offensive coordinator at Indiana under Kevin Wilson and UNC.
Indiana 2012- Indiana 2nd in B1G in passing offense and #2 in offense
Indiana 2013- same as 2012 and 38 points per game

UNC- had top 5 offense and #2 in passing offense in year 1, and #2/#2 in year 2.

Earlier in career as OC at ASU- had them at #2 in passing offense and at 33 points per game.

Found this on a report on Graham Harrell hired as OC at Purdue: "it was in 2015 that former Texas Tech running back Seth Littrell was hired at North Texas and his first move was the hire Harrell to run the Air Raid which found great success. Prior to Harrell’s hiring, North Texas had ranked in the bottom 25 of the country in passing, total yards, and points but by 2017 and 2018 the offense ranked in the top 25 nationally in all three categories."

Greg coached with Kevin Wilson at Ohio State. Littrell was OC under Wilson at Indiana.
Makes too much sense. Won't happen.

@rutgersguy1 - how do we make this happen?
Beg Santa?

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
When Sit and those before him failed under Ash, I wasn’t one to blame it on QB play. And I’m not saying all the problems on offense are on GW now, but slight improvement from where he’s at now isn’t going to get us more than 4 wins next season no matter how much improvement we see at other positions.

I get it - we didn’t have a very good OL or skill position players for him to build around but that doesn’t change the fact that at this point GW cannot complete simple short route passes with any consistency. I’m not talking about when pressure is coming - he misses wide open receivers when he’s not being pressured. He’s a very inaccurate QB right now. And that’s not going to get it done at the competition level we are at.

It’s possible we see a big jump next year of course, but that would have to happen for us to be remotely competitive. We can’t get to 6-6 with him like he is now.
Your statement on completing simple short pass routes may be true for a VERY SMALL sample size, but let's not extrapolate that based on 10 or so errant passes. Almost every young QB has made several errant passes early in their career. No pun intended, not giving Gavin a pass, but some of the wildly over the top conclusion (not saying yours) and comparisons to QBs such as EJ Warner who started 12 complete games and had some horrific games are ridiculous based on 145 passing attempts in 2022 with many dropped passes, rushed passes, throwaways, etc.

If that is true and he’s afraid of competition, he might not find a spot on any P5 team if he tried to transfer.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Don't know where that guy gets his narratives that he spins about fragile emotionally, etc., but not worth responding to him.
I get it from you and your 65k posts. You are the running expert on all things Rutgers football on this board, isn't that the case?

In college they are all men, if you have a kid mindset you won’t be successful. This is a business, it is no longer a kid’s game

In college they are all men, if you have a kid mindset you won’t be successful. This is a business, it is no longer a kid’s game
I don't disagree, but I was just making the point that this is not an 18-22 year old, he is 30 years of age and that is a whole different level of maturity and life experience. A 30 year old on his last year of eligibility is not going to a program to sit on the sidelines and mentor a younger player.

"Coach Schiano: Nunz, did you hire an Assistant Coach without telling me?
Coach Campanile: No, I found a Quarterback without telling you.
Coach Schiano: I hope he gets younger as he gets closer.”

I'd take him and Seth Littrell as the offensive coordinator in a heartbeat. These no-name Texas schools all score points and they always find quarterbacks who can throw the ball all over the place.
Will never happen until Schiano is gone.

I don't disagree, but I was just making the point that this is not an 18-22 year old, he is 30 years of age and that is a whole different level of maturity and life experience. A 30 year old on his last year of eligibility is not going to a program to sit on the sidelines and mentor a younger player.
Right but if you were 30 with one year of eligibility left, would you come here. Might not see 31😀

I think the guy from Minnesota Matt Simon is exactly what Schiano is looking for. They had a stud running back (as do we with Sam Brown) and running game that controlst the time of possession and keeps the defense off the field to keep them fresh. In other words "complementary football".

I don't disagree that it's not a bad idea. Obviously our strength is our defense. Think the classic Iowa and Wisconsin offenses with elite defenses.

I think the guy from Minnesota Matt Simon is exactly what Schiano is looking for. They had a stud running back (as do we with Sam Brown) and running game that controlst the time of possession and keeps the defense off the field to keep them fresh. In other words "complementary football".

I don't disagree that it's not a bad idea. Obviously our strength is our defense. Think the classic Iowa and Wisconsin offenses with elite defenses.
People keep call SB a stud RB, hr may be but can we let him get through a season in the Big 10 before we give that title. Performance makes you a stud, not potential.

Why so, in terms of exactly?

I see he served as WR coach under Flood in 2013 and as an assistant under Flood in 2012 when Prince and Brock were OC, respectively.

I could see Simon being the choice but Minnesota’s style of offense contradicts everything he said in his intro presser about stretching the field horizontally and vertically.

Reactions: Knight Shift

I see he served as WR coach under Flood in 2013 and as an assistant under Flood in 2012 when Prince and Brock were OC, respectively.
So we will have an OC by the end of next week. If that is the case I be wish that he would have announce before signing day, some of Minny recruits might have made a different decision as well as us potentially picking up a couple of recruits

Last edited:
So we will have an OC. Y the end of ne t week. If that is the case I be wish that he would have announce before signing day, some of Minny recruits might have made a different decision as well as us potentially picking up a couple of recruits
That's not a great reason in view of what @rutgersguy1 said immediately above. Not the kind of offense we want to run, if we are correctly interpreting what Greg said. But I do agree, sooner is better than later--just want it to not be just anybody.

It’s not the possibility of GW transferring due to competition and perhaps losing his job per se that worries Schiano directly. It’s not about the player specifically. It’s just the additional stink for an already rancid offense and struggling program this would cause. He can’t risk any more bad publicity so GW has that leverage.

Last edited:
Still think it will be NC named ‘after a long and thorough national search’ ha ha ha.

Like I said. Complementary football. The "stretch the field offense" didn't really seem to work out with Gleeson. Schiano clearly wants a more conservative offense now. Think 2006, pound the ball with Ray Rice.

Like I said. Complementary football. The "stretch the field offense" didn't really seem to work out with Gleeson. Schiano clearly wants a more conservative offense now. Think 2006, pound the ball with Ray Rice.
But was it the scheme or development and coaching--or the execution of the scheme, which is partly on the players and partly on lack of development and coaching.

Was it really a stretch the field offense? Didn't look like it to me, even in year 1 where things looked optimistic. NV doesn't even have the consistent arm to do that. It was fine for year 1 but there should have been a replacement found in the last 2 years. We didn't use tempo that often either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT