ADVERTISEMENT

This nonsense that Schiano 4th down coaching calls cost the game

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
You can’t assume the 2nd half would have unveiled itself as it did if we had punted/successfully converted. Our coaches put our guys in the position to win, and we had far less talent than Michigan. We competed til the end of the game against a top ranked team on the road. Of course the win would have been tremendous but the future begins this season and it’s bright

You can’t assume the 2nd half would have unveiled itself as it did if we had punted/successfully converted. Our coaches put our guys in the position to win, and we had far less talent than Michigan. We competed til the end of the game against a top ranked team on the road. Of course the win would have been tremendous but the future begins this season and it’s bright
And Gleeson and Smith.
GFY

Dudes.. what about blaming the players' execution on those 4th down calls? The coaches only make decisions.. they don't actually play the game. And we do not know what the on-field decision trees looked like for those calls and if the players executed properly. And even when they do.. the Jimmies and Joes on the other side can out-play and out-execute on certain plays.

The 4th and 10 is a real head-scratcher but Schiano trusted his D (and the clock vs a running team) too much. BTW.. the clock operator stole 3 seconds for M at the end of the half. He stopped the clock on forward progress instead of the whistle. Clock should have read 6 instead of 9.. giving Michigan an extra play for a TD try)

fun second half. agree, punt the ball please on 4th and 10, all that came after that was so upsetting to see especially knowing the team should have been in the locker room (and then julius is lost for the rest of the game) but def not the reason we lost. adjustments second half really speak to the coaching man, it is good to see this program competing, but dont give them the freebies like not punting it on 4th and 10 or not using johnny on 4th and 1 like you have been for the past two years haha.

Players are credited for wins. Coaches are blamed for losses.

The basic tenet of college football fandom.

Yes, we should have punted and run out clock at end of half, or maybe had better play calls for the 3rd & 4th down..BUT, I think the goal line D - holding UM to a FG, & the JT ejection, helped fire up this team for the 2nd half

Bottom line coach has said it before we are not good enough to make a bunch of mistakes and win a game like this. He also said in his presser that he was disappointed that he did not do more to help the team. To win this game we needed to play and coach "clean" and we didn't quite do it.

Most killed Ash for not going for it. How many punts did he decide on that were head scratchers. Zero problem going it.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Cost us the game really? Whose says we don't punt the ball and they run it back for 7, come on, we can now predict the future.
At that point I probably would have punted, but I understand they needed to take some chances; ended up they got three, I think we lost by 7, oh we missed a field goal I think we still lose, or maybe reps throw the flag for crukshank in the end zone and push it in for overtime and ambrosio kicks a winning field that he didn't make last year

Reactions: beaced
If you are going to blame the coaches when things go bad then you must also credit the coaches when things go right. But college fans never credit the coaches when things go right. Those kudos are reserved for the players.

Yes, we should have punted and run out clock at end of half, or maybe had better play calls for the 3rd & 4th down..BUT, I think the goal line D - holding UM to a FG, & the JT ejection, helped fire up this team for the 2nd half
No question that it did.

There is bound to be some disagreement on play-calls, or strategy, in any game.

Coach can do whatever he wants on 4th down. He knows this team better than anybody. He's more responsible for the 180 degree turnaround, than anybody. It's his team, and he's going to coach it his way. He's earned that, and more.

100% support for the Coach.

4th and 10 was ridiculously stupid.
All coaches, even the greatest mess up.
Nothing wrong with pointing it out

Odds were bad but we were in the right place on the field and Mich is not an explosive offense. Mich could’ve easily gotten a FG out of it (maybe a longer one) even if we punted.

Yes, the problem was we needed 10
4th and 2, I would be on board going for it
Anything over 4, at the most, not the best decision

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT