ADVERTISEMENT

This tweet from Hobbs should end all Ash nonsense on this board

It's stupid to be on the list in the first place and not because of performance but just reality. After the extension he's got 5 years left on his contract. He was always going to be here for sure 4 and very likely 5 barring some bad off the field problems. I've always said it's Hobbs' hire and he's going to get a lot of leeway.

People here who were looking for different were just projecting and wishing. I'm indifferent to him but you have to live in reality or at least in some realm of reality of how things work in general and also how they would work for a school like us.

Just think at a 5 year tenure we'd be swallowing at least 2 years of his contract and at 4 we'd be swallowing at least 3. That's at least 4-6M dollars, does that sound like reasonable MO for a school like us? Just swallowing 2 is pushing it IMO but we'll also be getting more revenue at that time as well so I could see that in the realm of possibility should it be necessary, anything more than that doesn't seem all that realistic. So you'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next 2-3 years.

The infamous vote of public confidence. We have all seen how those have turned out over the years. I don’t think # of wins means a thing this year to Hobbs, but I would guarantee that he would like to see consistent and competitive play against the top four division programs as a sign that the program is moving in the right direction.

Of course, Politi and Kratch found a way to turn this into a full-length article on NJ.com. Funniest part is Politi retweets the article and says “now we’re all talking about it”.

The infamous vote of public confidence. We have all seen how those have turned out over the years. I don’t think # of wins means a thing this year to Hobbs, but I would guarantee that he would like to see consistent and competitive play against the top four division programs as a sign that the program is moving in the right direction.
This Hobbs tweet was different the the usual "vote of confidence"

Only two questions......... who is this "Rob" character and why is he such a dick?

Who are these “haters” ? I’ve seen posters that are more skeptical than others regarding future success but I honestly don’t think anyone hates CA. I think CA’s ceiling is 6 wins but that doesn’t mean I hate him or am wishing for failure. Quite the contrary actually.

If you think about it, the only reason Ash is on this list is that CBS and others do this list every season and there is a lack of hot seat story lines within the P5 for 2018. That causes some reaching to happen because some guys from P5 NEED to be on the "list". So much turnover happened at the P5 level last season...almost every big program is either secure, prospering or just got a new coach.

Who are these “haters” ? I’ve seen posters that are more skeptical than others regarding future success but I honestly don’t think anyone hates CA. I think CA’s ceiling is 6 wins but that doesn’t mean I hate him or am wishing for failure. Quite the contrary actually.

Big ten Rutgers, ashheap, came to mind within two seconds of reading your post.

I'm kind of indifferent on Ash, I do think that this rebuild job would take 4-5 years. If after 5 years Ash's team is not competitive(not a win, but no blow outs) against b1g east top teams then it may be time to seek another coaching change.

Tweet is in regards to a CBS article suggesting Ash is on the hot seat.

AD has full confidence in Ash. And there’s nothing anyone can do to change this, in the short term at least.

Ash-haters, find a new slant.
Many of us have been saying this all along . but of course some posters make up their own drama and push their hatred. Maybe now those people will step back and let Ash program build during the contract period he was signed for.

Very different than all the other times ADs say this, then fire the coach within a year or two! This one is different because it’s in a tweet!

AD has full confidence in Ash. And there’s nothing anyone can do to change this, in the short term at least.

Anyone who thought Ash was even close to a hot seat has no understanding of Rutgers or the guy who runs its athletic dept.

That tweet still won't stop some people, cause nothing ever will.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-23-at-9.02.09-AM.png

I'm kind of indifferent on Ash, I do think that this rebuild job would take 4-5 years. If after 5 years Ash's team is not competitive(not a win, but no blow outs) against b1g east top teams then it may be time to seek another coaching change.

Of course, NO ONE will argue with that.

I'm not. He is sticking up for his guy. Kind of like ALL the fans should do here. Support the coach, the team and the players. Hobbs' response was a bit unexpected I suppose as he hasn't engaged in any Twitter battles with anyone, but it is nice to see him back Ash up.
Spoken like a true Floodie, err, umm, Ashie.
(I feel the same, even at the risk of being called names).

Spoken like a true Floodie, err, umm, Ashie.
(I feel the same, even at the risk of being called names).

More so like backing my team and it's leaders. We have what we have and I have seen progress in the players coming in, the facility upgrades, and the coaches being hired. You know what they said about Rome...

Reactions: Dpgru
Hobbs just extended Ash to 2022, about $10 Million guaranteed. Ash is safe at least til 2020 or 2021.
What else should or could Hobbs say. The guy writing the article obviously had no clue about his extension.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Hobbs just extended Ash to 2022, about $10 Million guaranteed. Ash is safe at least til 2020 or 2021.
What else should or could Hobbs say. The guy writing the article obviously had no clue about his extension.

True.
Hobbs made the only reasonable public statement he could about his Coach.

I think too many fans keep thinking we are a top program where anything less than a run at the NC is considered a terrible season. At these places, eating millions of dollars to keep the fans happy by dumping the HC means nothing!
Like any HC, Ash will be held accountable soon enough once his grace period is over. He has to produce decent product eventually. The key is when is "eventually"?

What else is Hobbs going to say? It looks terrible on him if he fires a coach after giving him a contract extension...especially if he further sets the program back financially by having to pay $10M+ on top of the salaries of a new coaching staff...Ash’s security has little to do at this point with wins and losses and more to do with $$$s and running a relatively clean program...

Come on people! CBS Sports ranks EVERY COACH IN AMERICA by a 0-5 scale of warmth of seat. EVERY ONE OF THEM. What number would you give Ash? You think he can 0-12 and be safe? That would be a zero on the scale. He ain't that.
You really don't think Ash has to show some sign of improvement? Really?
And on the other end of it, do you really think a "vote of confidence" ends speculation? Ends talk if they go 3-9? Really?
Do your own thinking people. And stop taking everything so literally and seriously.

And "haters" is as much bullshit as "they disrespected us" and similar nonsense.

And I don't see evidence of a "great job" either. I see signs. Good signs. But "great job?" As of right now?

Reactions: ZekeAFroid
Now can we all move on and focus on football and not who to blame if something goes wrong. We need fans! We need supporters! We need to fill the stadium to show the team we have their backs!

Reactions: arigoldrutgers
What else is Hobbs going to say? It looks terrible on him if he fires a coach after giving him a contract extension...especially if he further sets the program back financially by having to pay $10M+ on top of the salaries of a new coaching staff...Ash’s security has little to do at this point with wins and losses and more to do with $$$s and running a relatively clean program...

Where would we be w/o the closet PSU fan weighing in?

ADVERTISEMENT