ADVERTISEMENT

This weeks Lax Media Poll 4/12

red sail

All Conference
Oct 11, 2007
*** Corrected below Sorry I jumped the gun ***
This week’s media poll is such HorseSh*t.
Duke stays #1 after losing to NOtre Lame. Undefeated MD moves to #2 ... should be #1.
UNC 3,
ND jumps from 9 to 4.
Denver & UVA stay at 5 & 6.
How does Lehigh jump us from 10 to 7. Lehigh beat Navy this week 13-7.
We took Ped State to the woodshed and Rutgers stays at 8. ?

This is such horsesh*t. I’m curious to see what the coaches poll looks like this week. The ACC bias is garbage.

Last edited:
Isn't that still last week's poll? I didn't think the new poll was out yet.

Nope. That's this week's poll. No love for the Big 10 whatsoever. Denver moves up to #5 with a similar record to RU, who seems frozen at 8. Although some here might be pleased, Loyola moves from 18 to 13 while losing to Army. And Lehigh jumps ahead, moving to 7. Looks like they're certainly setting up the Big 10 as a 2 bid league.

And there's a protest vote. Every week there is one vote for Penn, which obviously had it's season cancelled, at 20. Of course that makes more sense than those weeks of Syracuse getting one first place vote.

Nope. That's this week's poll. No love for the Big 10 whatsoever. Denver moves up to #5 with a similar record to RU, who seems frozen at 8. Although some here might be pleased, Loyola moves from 18 to 13 while losing to Army. And Lehigh jumps ahead, moving to 7. Looks like they're certainly setting up the Big 10 as a 2 bid league.

And there's a protest vote. Every week there is one vote for Penn, which obviously had it's season cancelled, at 20. Of course that makes more sense than those weeks of Syracuse getting one first place vote.

CORRECTION !! They had this week's records imposed on last weeks polls. New poll has Maryland is #1 with 4 ACC schools 2-5. RU however, still stuck behind Lehigh.

This is why our team needs to keep winning...

Gotta finish the reg season with two wins that based on polls we will get not credit for even though both Hop and UM will be teams that will play hard and have talent

Need to close out at 8-2 reg season...

IMO the big ten semi game will determine if we get a home or road game in round one...

If we beat OSU in the semi and lose to MD in the final...at 9-3 with three losses to the #1 team...I think we end up a 7 or 8 seed in the big event...with a home game

If we lose to OSU in the big ten tournament semi...well then assuming MD beats OSU in the final, we probably end up a 9-10-11 seed in the tourney

Again, just my opinion

The reality is we need to keep winning

Cuse has 1 good win (UVA)...IMO we have 2 good wins over OSU, but the media and talking heads don't view the OSU wins as great...

Side note...Patriot will be a 2 bid league...Army and Lehigh are in...Loyola is not gonna make it...rough year, out of synch, no fall ball and very limited practice in January has hurt them...plus injuries...they haven't been right all year...which pains me to say...

OK That makes more sense.
Md 1
ND 2
UVA 3
Duke 4
UNC 5
Denver 6 ... I think they get exposed in the tourney
Lehigh 7
RU 8
Cuse 9
Army 10
I agree with you thought on DU...but they will control the face off x and possessions are king as you know...that's the one main Denver strength that can propel them to wins in May...otherwise the big east is down...IMO

Reactions: 80RU and red sail
LOL, you guys are so sure your team can't beat Maryland, but those games were very close!

With the Ivy's out, there's 9 AQ's (Conf Champions). My Guess at the Conf Champions below:
America East: Stony Brook
ACC: Duke or UVA
Big East: Denver
B1G: UMD
CAA: Hofstra
MAAC: Monmouth
NEC: St Joe's
Patriot: Lehigh
Southern: Jacksonville

That leave's 7 at large bids, if there is no play in game for spot 16 v 17.
Does the ACC get 3 at large plus their AQ (ND/UVA/Duke/UNC)? That leaves 4 spots open.
Rutgers B1G at large
Cuse ACC at large
Army Patriot at large
Georgetown Big East at large

I would not want to leave any doubt & leave it up to the selection comittee. We've gotten screwed several times.. win out the regular season & the semi's of the conf championship.

Last edited:
With the Ivy's out, there's 9 AQ's (Conf Champions). My Guess at the Conf Champions below:

Does the ACC get 3 at large plus their AQ? That leaves 4 spots open.

I would not want to leave any doubt & leave it up to the selection comittee. We've gotten screwed several times.. win out the regular season & the semi's of the conf championship.

Just remember Denver has a history of getting upset in the conference tournament. And with the Baltimore Mafia the ACC could get 4 at large. Don't rule out the Patriot getting 2 at large.

Reactions: red sail
Still seems to me that the worse case scenario is someone other than MD or RU winning the B1G Tournament. The only team that looks to be a threat to do that would be OSU. That would effectively require the NCAA to take 3 B1G teams and based on the current rankings that is not going to happen.

So while it would be nice to win out and control our own destiny, I think we can survive one more reg season loss and a loss in the tournament finals to Maryland and still get in versus the worse case scenario I laid out above.

Just remember Denver has a history of getting upset in the conference tournament. And with the Baltimore Mafia the ACC could get 4 at large. Don't rule out the Patriot getting 2 at large.
I can see the argument for Georgetown getting in if they beat Denver in the BE, but I have a hard time believing that Patriot gets 2 & B1G gets 1 at large. if OSU wins the B1G tournament that could be the only way I see the B1G getting 2 at large in or we would be out if they give the ACC 4 at large with Cuse in.

I can see the argument for Georgetown getting in if they beat Denver in the BE, but I have a hard time believing that Patriot gets 2 & B1G gets 1 at large. if OSU wins the B1G tournament that could be the only way I see the B1G getting 2 at large in or we would be out if they give the ACC 4 at large with Cuse in.

Ohio St. winning the B1G over Maryland in the finals is Rutgers' worst nightmare.

Keep in mind the ACC does NOT have an automatic bid, which I see some folks do not realize.

Unless Syracuse stumbles badly down the stretch, the ACC will likely get 5 of the 8 at-large bids as ridiculous as that is. We need to keep winning.

If Rutgers wins their last two regular season games and wins 1 Big Ten Tourney game before losing to Maryland in the final, there is a big difference between and 8 seed and a 6 or 7 seed. It would be ridiculous to potentially finish with a 10-4 record with all 4 losses to the number 1 team.

If Rutgers wins their last two regular season games and wins 1 Big Ten Tourney game before losing to Maryland in the final, there is a big difference between and 8 seed and a 6 or 7 seed. It would be ridiculous to potentially finish with a 10-4 record with all 4 losses to the number 1 team.
I think they would be 9-3 under that scenario but your point is still well taken.

Remember, however, that 4th loss would be in the 2nd rd. of March Madness. But it also means that 2 of the Denver/Lehigh/Syracuse 3 would be seeded higher, which would truly suck.

LOL, you guys are so sure your team can't beat Maryland, but those games were very close!
I think we can beat Maryland. We have to play the best game we have all year. Few turnovers and win the groundball battle while capitalizing on scoring chances. Lacrosse is a game of runs. Maryland has been going on ridiculous runs all year. 5-8 goal rule runs seemingly every game. That can’t happen. We can beat Maryland. It would simply take the most complete game we have played.

I’ve now seen every Acc team play at least one x if not more. Maryland would handle all of them. Your team is as complete as I have seen in lacrosse. There isn't one area where you can say we are going to attack them here. The offense puts up crazy numbers and has talent across the board. They are coached extremely well and the team has a complete understanding of what they are trying to do and how to do it. Their D has 3 studs at close and their D middles are studs in their own right. The only area you might say isn't elite is their faceoff game. But with that D you don't need to be. That would be another luxury. Throw in what is clearly the most dynamic player in Bernhardt and you have the makings of something special.

We can win that game, but it would be the best effort we've seen in a long time. Good news is we are trending in the right direction. Though the score didn't show it, we were closer last game. Maryland will never beat themselves. You have to play almost perfect to beat them this year and that goes for any top team.

Acc defenses save maybe ND will not be able to handle Maryland. From what I saw of Uva and UNC last game, they would get lit up like a Christmas tree. Syracuse, no chance. Their D is terrible at this level.

I will say should we meet in the B1G championship game, I'd expect that game to close.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Just keep winning RU...win the rest of the reg season and we will be in a position of strength heading into the Big Ten Tourney...gotta go 8-2 in reg season...never thought I'd say that back in January...

Here's how I see it as of today when you look at a projected field...again, just my two cents, but probably not far off...

Remember, if I'm correct, the ACC does not get an AQ...they don't have 6 teams which dictates an AQ conference...now I'm splitting hairs here, but they don't get termed an AQ...they are all at large...

Here's the view from my desk in Michigan

AQ's (8 spots)

MAAC - 1
NEC - 1
CAA - 1
SOCON - 1
Amer East - 1
Patriot - 1
Big Ten - 1
Big East - 1

At Large (8 spots)

So here is who I think is in today in the larger conferences (no disrespect to the others...just think most are 1 bid leagues) NOTE: I don't think the last place ACC team should get in...but they will...the media loves that conference...

2 Big Ten - Maryland / Rutgers
2 Big East - Denver / Georgetown
2 Patriot - Lehigh / Army
5 ACC - ND / Duke / UNC / UVA / Syracuse

That's 11 teams counting AQ/AL bids in those 4 conferences

Then single bids

1 CAA Champ
1 MAAC Champ
1 NEC Champ
1 Amer East Champ
1 SOCON Champ

That's 5 teams and that makes the 16 team field...

Now, where you have room for debate is a couple of teams IMO

Syracuse...if they lose out...they would be under .500 and in last place in the ACC...IMO they shouldn't get in which frees up a spot

Georgetown - assuming they lose to Denver this weekend, then they lose to Loyola on May 1...and then lose in the Big East Tourney....well then they should be out...again, if they win a couple of those..
I think they're in...

Those two team are who I find interesting...if they both fold...who gets those two spots?

OSU?
Loyola? I can't believe I'm saying this, but if Loyola wins all the way to the PL final with wins over GTown and Army or Lehigh...is that enough for them to sneak in the last spot...I'm not sure I'd put them in...but who knows

Do the conferences I only gave one bid to get an extra bid...

Lots of questions...

One thing for sure

Keep winning RU...leave no doubt through the rest of the reg season...8-2 will be a good number and will have a 3rd battle with OSU

Last edited:
If we win out and beat most likely OSU in the B1G Semis, we better get a home 1st round game. One game at a time though...take the brooms to Hopkins on Saturday on Senior Day.

Reactions: Golfer2019
I just read on the Virginia board (I still check out my old ACC teams sometimes) that QK wrote that it would be unfair, if Maryland gets the top seed in the tournament, to put the top two ACC seeds on the same side of the bracket.

This sums up everything that you guys and all non-ACC fans say about the "Baltimore Mafia"...

I just read on the Virginia board (I still check out my old ACC teams sometimes) that QK wrote that it would be unfair, if Maryland gets the top seed in the tournament, to put the top two ACC seeds on the same side of the bracket.

This sums up everything that you guys and all non-ACC fans say about the "Baltimore Mafia"...

From the committee that made sure the Ivies narrowed their their representation to 1 in the QUARTERFINALS in 2019 (Penn vs. Yale). Going farther back, the committee that made sure in the late 90's a Southern team made the finals by seeding so that the 2 best teams, a non-ACC Syracuse and Princeton in the semis (great games played when RU hosted the Final Four weekend). It's been going on for a long time.

From the committee that made sure the Ivies narrowed their their representation to 1 in the QUARTERFINALS in 2019 (Penn vs. Yale). Going farther back, the committee that made sure in the late 90's a Southern team made the finals by seeding so that the 2 best teams, a non-ACC Syracuse and Princeton in the semis (great games played when RU hosted the Final Four weekend). It's been going on for a long time.
If/when we do get into the tourney. I wouldn’t be surprised if the committee puts MD and RU on the same side of the bracket.
And to Conifer’s point QK is a Hopkins shill. He has no love for RU nor MD. The Baltimore mafia is real ... we witnessed it first hand after beating Hopkins twice regular season and conf tourney and getting snubbed in 2016.

Last edited:

I listened to the same podcast...he said it...said they should seed Maryland 2 so the two best ACC teams don't play in the semi's...

Hard to comprehend that logic...Maryland is the best team...I watched them play live...my dislike for the ACC is growing by the minute...if RU can't win it all, and my other team misses this year (Hounds)...I'm rooting for anyone not in the ACC

I have no doubt that the ACC is the best league this year. But home-and-home matchups against High Point, Richmond and Bellarmine aside, their league this year is no less incestuous than the B1G. A's claim to greatness is they can compete with B, and B's claim to greatness is that they can compete with A.

They're no different than anybody else; we won't know how good their teams are until the tournament starts and they play legitimate OOC games.

Does the ACC get 3 at large plus their AQ (ND/UVA/Duke/UNC)? That leaves 4 spots open.
Rutgers B1G at large
Cuse ACC at large
Army Patriot at large
Georgetown Big East at large

I think Ohio State is in the mix. I have a feeling Lehigh will lose to Lafayette.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Pretty sure UMD and RU face each other in the 2nd round ... that assumes RU makes the tourney ... that isn’t a gimme at 9-3

Last edited:
OSU finishes at MD this week and at home vs. PSU, so they should wind up 5-5 with 4 of their losses against UMD (no shame) and RU (very little shame).

I think that would mean they get a home game vs. the 6th team in the BigTen in the tourney.

Reactions: bigmatt718
OSU finishes at MD this week and at home vs. PSU, so they should wind up 5-5 with 4 of their losses against UMD (no shame) and RU (very little shame).

I think that would mean they get a home game vs. the 6th team in the BigTen in the tourney.
If Cuse loses out or any of the mid major suffer bad losses, it'll open the door for OSU to grab the last at large.

Syracuse lacrosse year to date is 5-3 with wins coming against:
1. Virginia Feb 27th
2. Vermont 5-3 ( wins coming against NJIT, Umass lowell (2), Albany, Hartford)
3. Stoney Brook 7-3 best win Albany
4. Holy Cross 2-4
5. Albany best win Umass 3-3

What if the big ten played out of conference would OSU beat Vermont, Holy Cross, Stoney Brook, and Albany I think they would

Not to mention Notre Dames (6-1)out of conference schedule 4 of 6 wins Robert Morris, Bellarmine, Marquette, and Cleveland St..... (great win against Duke moves them to top 5 only other conference win is Syracuse)

Syracuse lacrosse year to date is 5-3 with wins coming against:
1. Virginia Feb 27th
2. Vermont 5-3 ( wins coming against NJIT, Umass lowell (2), Albany, Hartford)
3. Stoney Brook 7-3 best win Albany
4. Holy Cross 2-4
5. Albany best win Umass 3-3

What if the big ten played out of conference would OSU beat Vermont, Holy Cross, Stoney Brook, and Albany I think they would

Not to mention Notre Dames (6-1)out of conference schedule 4 of 6 wins Robert Morris, Bellarmine, Marquette, and Cleveland St..... (great win against Duke moves them to top 5 only other conference win is Syracuse)

And ALL of the Syracuse/ND out of conference games have been home games.

And Ohio St. might have had problems with Albany when Nanticoke was still on the team, but not once he was dismissed.

ADVERTISEMENT