ADVERTISEMENT

This Will Not Sit Well With Some of Our Posters - Good Schiano Article

Spot on. I'm ridin with Greg. Next season the young guys will figure it out, especially Gavin and Sam, and this experience will be invaluable. We will get some O Line and Wide Out help in portal, and go to a bowl. That should be attainable as long as we keep the defense we have, add some pieces, because it's young and tough. KEEP CHOPPIN!

I think it's a pretty accurate title as more than a few posters have "given up", "lost hope" or "the game has passed Greg by" attitudes.
Not looking to be provocative at all.
The problem isn't provocative or not, it's that the thread title is completely vague - I almost didn't even open it since I had no clue it was an excellent article on Schiano. That's why the thread title should be changed, IMO.

Greg is a very good coach and short of catching some young unknown Brian Kelly type, Greg is our answer. I'm not even sure a diamond at a lower level could turn it around fast enough on the recruiting trail at this point.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
GS would get the job done.
We would be playing meaningful games in November in a sold out stadium filled with Rutgers fans, not the opposition….If

Pay for play, no transfer restrictions and free agent portal didn’t exist
This is my worry as well. I have hope now but if we start losing key cogs and have trouble recruiting at a schiano level I will also lose hope.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
We would be playing meaningful games in November in a sold out stadium filled with Rutgers fans, not the opposition….If

This. The coach that would get us to New Years Day bowls in the new pay-for-play environment does not exist. You could have Nick Saban and Urban Meyer co-coach the team and it still wouldn't happen.

Many of the Greg years we have struggled on offense
We would be at least a middle of the pack team with average or a little better than average offense
Greg is not dumb, he really had to work on that specifically for us to get any place
Get that dynamic OC and let him go

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty accurate title as more than a few posters have "given up", "lost hope" or "the game has passed Greg by" attitudes.
Not looking to be provocative at all.
LOL, those posters are GS haters. They never wanted GS. They think the school should just spend the money they don’t have to hire a big name coach that doesn’t want to come here instead.

Based on what? Transfers have been a HUGE part of this program since schiano took over. Half of our starters are transfers lol.

I wouldn’t even call this season disappointing. My only disappointment is the staffs failure to bring in a transfer qb. Otherwise, this season is close to as expected, especially considering the injuries.
We only have one D-1/P-5 running back in the entire program.
It’s another position that reflects our depth issues and inability to compete for a full season in the B1G

I'm all for it, and exactly what I have been saying.

Very little people understand what it is like to coach, to build a team, to build a program (especially from a position of being in such a bad situation for a long time).

It is hard for fans to see what success is identified as besides a win and a loss. It is a process, and it takes time. We are a team mostly of underclassmen.

I want to see where we are in two more years. Then I will pass a judgement.

Until then I will keep bringing my sons, and hanging with my dad and friends at games.

Some of people here said that this was going to be a rebuilding year while others refused to believe that. Tbh I thought Rutgers could’ve had a 6-6 year but it didn’t happen. Let’s see what happens rest of the year, and see who signs up for 23. Might be most important offseason in Rutgers history.

Reactions: Knight Shift
LOL, those posters are GS haters. They never wanted GS. They think the school should just spend the money they don’t have to hire a big name coach that doesn’t want to come here instead.
The TLDR version- patience will be rewarded.

There are no certainties with any hire.

Here at Rutgers: two failed hires in 2012 and 2015.
Elsewhere:
Jimbo Fisher and all that NIL money
Super Mario at Miami (it's still early, but with all that talent--oh boy)
Indiana floundering in mediocrity for how long?
Purdue has found some success with Brohm but floundering forever
Frost at Nebraska- fair-haired QB star and alum could not replicate the success of his QB at UCF
Hafley was someone a lot of people thought would have been great at Rutgers. Not so much at BC.

For every flash in the pan quick success (Bielema, Leipold), we can name 3-4 coaches on the other end of spectrum.

Some here were raving about Dino Babers earlier this year, but other than one 10-3 season, his other 5 seasons at Syracuse were losing seasons. (35-46//17-37). And Syracuse at least had a winning history. Season is falling flat with losses to Notre Dame and Pitt.

See Virginia Tech after Beamer retired. Fuentes had two nice seasons to start, but then the Hokies floundered and he was fired. Brent Pry is not off to a great start either.

See Georgia Tech after Paul Johnson retired. 25-38, and not a single winning season after 4 years of Geoff Collins.

It has been stated here many times that a hopeful comparison for Rutgers is Northwestern under Pat Fitzgerald. After a 4-8 start in season 1, he had five decent seasons and one terrific season (10-3) in year 6. Then in year 7, NW went 1-7 in conference, but 2 years later, they were 10-3 again. Now they are on hard times.

Complainers/haters fail to acknowledge the fact that Rutgers has to face three top 15 teams (often top 10 or 5) EVERY year, which, for now, are basically guaranteed losses. Add in having to play Wisconsin and Iowa (they seem to be back on track), every couple of years, and this is a recipe for 4 conference losses for a team trying to establish itself.

Patience will hopefully be rewarded.

Dave Doeren at NC State is an example- did not have a winning conference record until year 5.

Dave Clawson at Wake Forest- did not see a 500 record in conference until year 4, and did not have a winning conference record until year 8.

Jonathan Smith at Oregon State- three losing records to start, went 7-6/5-4 in year 4, and now on track.

Kyle Whittingham at Utah did not have a winning conference record until year 4.

Willie Fritz at Tulane had a winning conference record in year 3, regressed for 3 years, and now has Tulane at 8-1/5-0 and ranked.

Certainly, the haters and negatoids will find fault with the above and bring up Bielema or Leipold, but they were addressed. Unless you are blue blood (but see A&M LOL), most hires are a shot in the dark. But the examples above are where patience and slow builds were rewarded. The signs are there that we are much better on defense in year 3, and much better on special teams. Gavin is developing. With Sam Brown back, the running back room is strong. We need a couple/few solid receivers and TEs and a fortified OL (Greg has recruited well), and we may be on our way. Unless NIL completely derails things, thinking Year 4, or Year 5 will be the year we turn the corner.

Last edited:

Or maybe if Schiano never left in the first place. The state of the program is his own fault.
So the 4 million Schiano gets paid to lose every year in the B1G is money we don’t have ? You my friend make the least sense

Reactions: tico brown
This is one of the saddest threads I’ve seen of fans who are convincing themselves that sub mediocrity is our peak. My god the hoops some of ya’ll will jump through to justify Greg is mind boggling. Ya’ll do understand that next year, our qb room is Gavin, Simon if he stays, and a couple walk in’s with NO ONE coming in besides a potential transfer, and what qb is going to transfer to backup a sophomore? But if you wanna keep skirting around the OBVIOUS problems we have go ahead. How is it no one is holding Greg accountable for the Gleason hire? That was his guy! The first 7 figure assistant in school history. But keep telling yourself the game hasn’t passed Greg by.

Or maybe if Schiano never left in the first place. The state of the program is his own fault.

So the 4 million Schiano gets paid to lose every year in the B1G is money we don’t have ? You my friend make the least sense
-post one- worst take on this board all year. You can't be serious.

-post 2: take a look in the mirror. Nobody said we were going to be winning in year 4 with the B1G East schedule.

Based on what? Transfers have been a HUGE part of this program since schiano took over. Half of our starters are transfers lol.
And we whiffed big time on getting a QB, LBs, and better quality OL in the Portal. Other than #55 DiRenzo the OL newcomers have been a bust. And he is gone after this season. Greg and staff will need to do much better in this upcoming Portal.
It can be done. Greg had huge wins in the Portal with WR Ryan and several DL who are making an impact right now.

Last edited:
I am still all in. You can see the progress. You can't account for key injuries that slows development, but you can see the development. That was the best half of football I've seen in a long time.

He is trying to do it in the Big 10 East. Much tougher than the old Big East. That was good but this is a different level. Next year a signature win (even just a really good win) and hopefully a bowl will mean progress.

Then open up the schedule with a mature Wimsatt in 2024 and I'm optimistic.

It's going to be tough and it's not a straight line to success.

And we whiffed big time on getting a QB, LBs, and better quality OL in the Portal. Other than #55 DiRenzo the OL newcomers have been a bust. And he is gone after this season. Greg and staff will need to do much better in this upcoming Portal.
It can be done. Greg had huge wins in the Portal with WR Ryan and several DL who are making an impact right now.
Shit happens.

This is one of the saddest threads I’ve seen of fans who are convincing themselves that sub mediocrity is our peak. My god the hoops some of ya’ll will jump through to justify Greg is mind boggling. Ya’ll do understand that next year, our qb room is Gavin, Simon if he stays, and a couple walk in’s with NO ONE coming in besides a potential transfer, and what qb is going to transfer to backup a sophomore? But if you wanna keep skirting around the OBVIOUS problems we have go ahead. How is it no one is holding Greg accountable for the Gleason hire? That was his guy! The first 7 figure assistant in school history. But keep telling yourself the game hasn’t passed Greg by.
Knight Shift did a great job in his post on the analysis of how other CFB head coaches are doing.
Of course there will be busts and HCs will always be on the hot seat. There are Head Coaches that have turned around struggling programs ( Hugh Freeze at Liberty, Mark Stoops at Kentucky, Dave Clawson at WF, Jamey Chadwell at Coastal, etc., the last 2 with amazing results). Our only concern should be on Rutgers and not on “our woes are the same as others”.
Greg and Staff have a huge job to do this off season. The incoming class is not impressive at all and we huge talent holes to fill with graduating departures at DT, Secondary, and WR. Not to mention finding a QB in the Portal. 2023 will be a pivotal point for Greg 2.0

Not a very convincing article. It's just more of the "Schiano can make it happen, he's the only one" prattling and cheerleading. The fact that in Year 3 an article like this was written doesn't bode especially well. We can only hope there is real progress to see in the future instead of more shadowy talk about how "this team is improving" backed up with little real evidence.

Reactions: Purple-Ed

Guy behind me who's on the NIL inside (not KTR) showed me some credible texts on some players. Makes me want to get sick. Who wants what to come or stay.
1.0 didn't play in this league or this schedule. Wish divisions were ending next year. We're not going to be top 10 team. IDK. Just get us to 7-5/8-4 playing solid not crazy hard one.

Knight Shift did a great job in his post on the analysis of how other CFB head coaches are doing.
Of course there will be busts and HCs will always be on the hot seat. There are Head Coaches that have turned around struggling programs ( Hugh Freeze at Liberty, Mark Stoops at Kentucky, Dave Clawson at WF, Jamey Chadwell at Coastal, etc., the last 2 with amazing results). Our only concern should be on Rutgers and not on “our woes are the same as others”.

Greg and Staff have a huge job to do this off season. The incoming class is not impressive at all and we huge talent holes to fill with graduating departures at DT, Secondary, and WR. Not to mention finding a QB in the Portal. 2023 will be a pivotal point for Greg 2.0
Very fair points.

A concern for those who want a different HC is we are in for another crap shoot. Do we get another Ash, or do we luck out and get someone who turns it around? Of course, the flip side and come back is-"do you want to stay mired in mediocrity?" Of course not. But it is a bit of Sophie's choice here: show a little patient while Greg hopefully develops, or roll the dice on someone new. We see how the latter way went. As I noted above there are signs of substantial improvement on defense and special teams.

While I will probably get skewered for this, even Jim Harbaugh had Michigan finish no better than 3rd place (and 4th place in year 3) in the B1G East at blue (and maize) blood Michigan. Sure, he went 10-3 his first two seasons, but the standard for success is much higher at Michigan.

You mentioned Hugh Freeze-not the greatest comparison at Liberty. Here is Hugh's record at Ole Miss:

2012Ole Miss13760.5388.435.20BBVA Compass Bowl-W
2013Ole Miss13850.61510.425.8921Music City Bowl-W
2014Ole Miss13940.69216.808.1118317Peach Bowl-L
2015Ole Miss131030.76914.424.4217310Sugar Bowl-W
2016Ole Miss12570.4174.745.831111

And I will revert back to Jimbo Fisher, who was fairly successful at FSU, but he has basically flopped at A&M.

And Mark Stoops first 4 years:

2013Kentucky2–100–87th (Eastern)
2014Kentucky5–72–66th (Eastern)
2015Kentucky5–72–6T–4th (Eastern)
2016Kentucky7–64–4T–2nd (Eastern)L TaxSlayer

Mark Stoops is probably one of the better comparisons. In his year 3, Kentucky got pummeled by Miss. State, Tennessee, and Georgia. He beat a #25 Missouri, but Mizzou finished 1-7 in the SEC that year.

Totally agree with you that Greg needs to hit the portal hard.

Onward, upward (hopefully). Even I have doubts sometimes.

Some of people here said that this was going to be a rebuilding year while others refused to believe that. Tbh I thought Rutgers could’ve had a 6-6 year but it didn’t happen. Let’s see what happens rest of the year, and see who signs up for 23. Might be most important offseason in Rutgers history.
We beat Nebraska and Iowa if we have NV healthy.

Not a very convincing article. It's just more of the "Schiano can make it happen, he's the only one" prattling and cheerleading. The fact that in Year 3 an article like this was written doesn't bode especially well. We can only hope there is real progress to see in the future instead of more shadowy talk about how "this team is improving" backed up with little real evidence.
Read my 2 posts, and respond. IDK what you expect. But you never have anything positive or nice to say, or perhaps I missed those posts?

ADVERTISEMENT