ADVERTISEMENT

This Will Not Sit Well With Some of Our Posters - Good Schiano Article

It's also outdated to say you can't be a high-powered offense in the Big Ten and score a lot of points because of the weather or some other mystical notion. 10-15 years ago the teams of the Big Ten realized they can't have teams full of big but slow guys. The SEC was running circles around them. Too many of our posters are trapped in time in their thinking.
NW were in “close” games against PSU and OSU thanks to weather. Of course it doesn’t apply in bowl games because they are usually in warm nice climate areas. But it matters in league play. Classic example was Mich vs OSU last year.

"We need a running team because we play outside in the Northeast" is one of the oldest and dumbest arguments.
We finish the season Thanksgiving weekend.
We aren't the Giants, Jets or Packers - playing in the snow in late December.
It's not like it doesn't rain and get windy in the south. Yet those teams have high-powered offenses. Snow is of little concern. It rarely snows much even in the upper midwest before Thanksgiving, certainly not enough to hobble your entire offense with a 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality all through September and October.

NW were in “close” games against PSU and OSU thanks to weather. Of course it doesn’t apply in bowl games because they are usually in warm nice climate areas. But it matters in league play. Classic example was Mich vs OSU last year.
Those kind of games happen on occasion but it's not regular occurrence. Other games may be cold but it's not snowing or super windy every game. Rain can happen anywhere.

I don't watch the MAC too often but I think some of those teams use more open offense too and they operate fine if they have a good coach to install them and some players. Babers was using it at Bowling Green. Sean Lewis his OC had the 5th ranked offense in the country last year at Kent State. BYU has used offenses like that as well, not exactly warm there. So weather can be a factor on occasion but by and large isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: brgRC90
GS would get the job done.
We would be playing meaningful games in November in a sold out stadium filled with Rutgers fans, not the opposition….If

Pay for play, no transfer restrictions and free agent portal didn’t exist
100% correct

Sucks that next year we still have the current Divisions.

Hoping for 1-2 wins more than this year..... then a better season in 2024

You know another reason year 4 is critical. I can't think of many coaches who went 4 straight years with below .500 regular season records and didn't get fired. Cutcliffe like I mentioned was one but I can't think of many others. The 8 year contract will likely have some say in that though. So he either has to find 2 more this year or get 6 next year or you never know. Babers was on the verge of it this year, it would have been his 4th straight regular season losing record if he didn't rack up 6 but he has so he should be safe for now.
Somehow I forgot Frost as another 4 straight regular seasons below .500 lol. Nonetheless it’s still fairly rare to make it to the next year after that. It took a reworked contract and he was in very tenuous shape entering year 5. In hindsight might have been better making the change last year.

This is one of the saddest threads I’ve seen of fans who are convincing themselves that sub mediocrity is our peak. My god the hoops some of ya’ll will jump through to justify Greg is mind boggling. Ya’ll do understand that next year, our qb room is Gavin, Simon if he stays, and a couple walk in’s with NO ONE coming in besides a potential transfer, and what qb is going to transfer to backup a sophomore? But if you wanna keep skirting around the OBVIOUS problems we have go ahead. How is it no one is holding Greg accountable for the Gleason hire? That was his guy! The first 7 figure assistant in school history. But keep telling yourself the game hasn’t passed Greg by.
You're right. Firing Gleeson in Y3 after all the hoopla when he was brought in is sort of the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. It's a colossal failure. Next year he's basically starting over on that side of the ball. Call it Schiano 2.1. Reminds me a little of when Ash brought boy wonder in only to let him go.

Reactions: drewbagel423
You're right. Firing Gleeson in Y3 after all the hoopla when he was brought in is sort of the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. It's a colossal failure. Next year he's basically starting over on that side of the ball. Call it Schiano 2.1. Reminds me a little of when Ash brought boy wonder in only to let him go.
IIRC Mehringer left on his own to Texas to join Herman’s staff.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's not really starting over because the offense he wants to run (and that I'd bet we're going to run), has about 20 plays in it and the offensive line schemes are as basic as it gets. A Pop Warner coach could run what is going to be our offense.

BTW, this is not a criticism - that type of offense works. It's why teams have been running it for 60 years.

It's not really starting over because the offense he wants to run (and that I'd bet we're going to run), has about 20 plays in it and the offensive line schemes are as basic as it gets. A Pop Warner coach could run what is going to be our offense.

BTW, this is not a criticism - that type of offense works. It's why teams have been running it for 60 years.
Of course it works, it's exactly what many of these open tempo offenses are. I say it all the time....KISS. Leach uses a playsheet the size of an index card. Same for Riley. Heupel same and many others. If you see the description of many of them and I've posted many articles on them over the years it's that they're simple generally. I always advocate for it because it's easier to pick up, it doesn't need the best players everywhere and is probably easier to plug and play. You still need the right person to install and run it though.

Of course it works, it's exactly what many of these open tempo offenses are. I say it all the time....KISS. Leach uses a playsheet the size of an index card. Same for Riley. Heupel same and many others. If you see the description of many of them and I've posted many articles on them over the years it's that they're simple generally. I always advocate for it because it's easier to pick up, it doesn't need the best players everywhere and is probably easier to plug and play. You still need the right person to install and run it though.
No, you misunderstood me. I was saying the simple offense that Schiano wants to run (that works) is an standard I-Formation with the Jabu Package (wildcat) thrown in. Being a little more serious, there are about 14 run plays (7 plays mirrored), plus the wildcat, and 10 pass plays. The most difficult part of switching back to it is the difference in offensive line philosophy.

We have tried the spread offense and just hasn’t worked. Maybe we should run a modified pro style.

No, you misunderstood me. I was saying the simple offense that Schiano wants to run (that works) is an standard I-Formation with the Jabu Package (wildcat) thrown in. Being a little more serious, there are about 14 run plays (7 plays mirrored), plus the wildcat, and 10 pass plays. The most difficult part of switching back to it is the difference in offensive line philosophy.
I've wondered about that and I'm not an advocate if he goes in that direction. Cignetti or McNulty have crossed my mind as the type he might go after and I'm not a fan. Whipple crossed my mind too but he probably throws too much most likely. Narduzzi even complained about that even though his best season was on the back of it and his best seasons at Pitt were with offense doing very well with Canada and Whipple.

We have tried the spread offense and just hasn’t worked. Maybe we should run a modified pro style.
We haven't tried it in earnest at all and not with anyone who actually "grew up" in it either. B12 country and Leach/Briles trees are the ones to shake for OCs IMO. I only mention Decker if that's not feasible or NE ties is an issue. Mehringer was here for a year and he wasn't one I was enthusiastic about but it was just a year nonetheless. He should have been a co-OC which was what I thought he might be when he got hired but nope. I wouldn't say classify whatever Gleason was running as a spread either.

We haven't even had a qb who can actually pass the ball consistently to say we've run one. GW is the first one who MAY pass well enough but I'm not sure of that either.

I've wondered about that and I'm not an advocate if he goes in that direction. Cignetti or McNulty have crossed my mind as the type he might go after and I'm not a fan. Whipple crossed my mind too but he probably throws too much most likely. Narduzzi even complained about that even though his best season was on the back of it and his best seasons at Pitt were with offense doing very well with Canada and Whipple.
I would not be surprised at all if Cignetti or McNulty was running the offense next year.

Mehringer was allowed to leave on his own instead of being fired.

It was a mutual separation.
I don't remember that, at least that wasn't the position of the board at the time IIRC. He worked with Herman before and Texas was his home state and probably paid about the same so he left. Just took a quick scan of this thread, doesn't seem like he was let go.

Doesn't really matter though.

Like 2017 and 2018 and 2019?

We have tried a "modified pro style" a lot more than we have committed to an up tempo spread offense

Next OC: Air Raid!! 4WRs, go go go.
Screw "complementary" football. That is just code for "run first".

I don't remember that, at least that wasn't the position of the board at the time IIRC. He worked with Herman before and Texas was his home state and probably paid about the same so he left. Just took a quick scan of this thread, doesn't seem like he was let go.

Doesn't really matter though.

Rereading thst thread - a lot of anger over turning his back on HC Ash who gave him a chance.

Brand new thought.

Maybe Mehringer saw the future of HC Ash and got out when he could?
Maybe he was smarter than everyone, realized HC Ash would be a disaster and jumped ship first?

Like 2017 and 2018 and 2019?

We have tried a "modified pro style" a lot more than we have committed to an up tempo spread offense

Next OC: Air Raid!! 4WRs, go go go.
Screw "complementary" football. That is just code for "run first".
Well that's the thing it's a misconception that some of these teams don't run. Heupel, Briles, Riley and others mention the importance of it and often are near the top in rushing.

Briles' Baylor teams were around top 15 or top 10 in rushing.
Heupel has been around top 25 or better, Tenn was #12 in rushing last year
TCU is #13 this year
Arkansas with Kendal Briles is #10

People just see the highlights of them flinging it around but they run the ball and the fact that they spread the field helps them run it. The tempo does as well.

Kiffin last year threw it more with Corral but this year has had 2 good RBs so has run it more. Ole Miss is only behind Army/Air Force in rushing and actually ahead of Michigan even.

This is from an Athletic article and I've referenced it. Does Saban sound like somebody who doesn't think it was going to work in the SEC. Now we can see that it does.

Excerpts from the article:

Nick Saban was, in a car in the parking lot. And he wanted to talk to Bennett, a friend since they were running Big Ten defenses in the 1980s — Bennett at Purdue, Saban at Michigan State. It was early 2015, checking-on-recruits season, but Saban had also been thinking about Baylor’s field-stretching, hyper-pacing, record-breaking offense.

“He wanted to get together to talk about it,” Bennett recalled. “Nick and I are a lot alike in the things we do, the matchups we look for, and he wanted some insight, some ideas on how to stop it. He told me, ‘It hasn’t made it all the way to me yet. But I know what’s coming.’

The Tennessee offense looks most like the Briles offense with receivers split extremely wide, a relentless tempo that keeps defenses from substituting, frequent vertical shots and a devotion to running the ball. But Heupel hiring Iowa State tight ends coach Alex Golesh to be his offensive coordinator at UCF — replacing Briles disciple and current Oklahoma OC Jeff Lebby — represented another shift. Golesh came with Heupel to Tennessee and has expanded the run game and added elements of burliness to help the Vols in short yardage and the red zone.

“It’s not fun,” Narduzzi said of playing against this offense, and the sentiment was the same after Narduzzi’s Michigan State defense of 2014 gave up 41 points to Baylor in three quarters in the Cotton Bowl before a wild comeback and 42-41 win.

Bennett: “People say, ‘Oh it’s just a passing offense.’ Bull—-. It’s a numbers count. It’s an angles count. We had a few guys rush for more than 1,000 yards at Baylor.”

Reactions: AnklePicker1
Rereading thst thread - a lot of anger over turning his back on HC Ash who gave him a chance.

Brand new thought.

Maybe he was smarter than everyone, realized HC Ash would be a disaster and jumped ship first?
Nah doubt it. Think it was like @Scarlet_Monster stated

Mehringer was allowed to leave on his own instead of being fired.

It was a mutual separation.
I cant believe someone actually thought it wasn't a quiet firing...OC to WR coach to CO-OC/Position coach at Fla Atl and NM and now a TE coach...

It really wasn't even mutual. Just something "nice" that Hobbs/Ash did for the guy

GS would get the job done.
We would be playing meaningful games in November in a sold out stadium filled with Rutgers fans, not the opposition….If

Pay for play, no transfer restrictions and free agent portal didn’t exist
But nothing changes with a different coach. Same issues exist, especially the Pay for Play one which unless more donors step up, will be here for a king time

I cant believe someone actually thought it wasn't a quiet firing...OC to WR coach to CO-OC/Position coach at Fla Atl and NM and now a TE coach...

It really wasn't even mutual. Just something "nice" that Hobbs/Ash did for the guy
Forget about what happened after Texas, the step to Texas is the only thing to look at. While OC to WR/PGC might seem like a step down, I could easily see him latching on to Herman’s rising star at Texas at the time. Everything isn’t always so cut a dry just by title. PGC is possibly just a step away from OC and he worked with Herman before and is from Texas. It’s not even something he hadn’t done before in his career. He went from OC at JMU to WR coach at Houston for Herman and he did the same thing again just a level up. RU instead of JMU and Texas instead of Houston. Joe Brady was PGC at LSU and turned it into a NFL OC job. So I could easily see it be a move to try to help his career. It didn’t work out that way but that’s not known in real time.

Last edited:
Please don't get @NickRU714 all riled up.

Brand new thought.

If you read up on Mehringer and his life philosophy, he seems like a good guy, as opposed to Ash, whose only redeeming quality was his wife (very nice person). He's also landed on his feet, as TE coach making $415,000 per year. He was hired for his recruiting prowess.

You ever work for an insufferable prick of a boss and/or an inept organization and you look the quickest exit door out? You don't want to be the last rat on a sinking ship.

Not only do I want Greg to succeed. I like him here for the next 8-10 years growing the program and getting Jersey, PA, and NY kids. I won't agree with everything he says or does but who does? This season we have seen some interesting games and there is still a chance for a win or two. So let's see how this turns out and start looking at the 2023 season soon.

Not only do I want Greg to succeed. I like him here for the next 8-10 years growing the program and getting Jersey, PA, and NY kids. I won't agree with everything he says or does but who does? This season we have seen some interesting games and there is still a chance for a win or two. So let's see how this turns out and start looking at the 2023 season soon.
We all want that. However some fear that won’t happen based on what we are seeing.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html
The notion that the Big Ten is filled with bad offenses is a little outdated.
Particularly in the Big 10 East. Guy

Current PPG national rankings:
1. OSU - 45.8
5. Michigan - 42.2
32. Penn State - 34.4
47. Maryland - 31.4
53. Wisconsin - 30.8
54. Minnesota - 30.6
66. Purdue - 29.4
85. Nebraska - 25.6
90. Illinois - 24.8
94. Michigan State - 24.3
100. Indiana - 23.3
114(t). Rutgers - 19.8
125. Iowa - 17.2
126. Northwestern - 16.7

Note - this includes 66pts against Wagner. Without Wagner, we drop to 14.0ppg.
However, most teams have inflated PPG because of a 1-AA. Can't find a good site for just FBS stats.

Just a little bonus - while the defense has been great, turns out BC and Temple are terrible offenses.
114. Temple (tied with Rutgers) - 19.8
119. Boston College - 18.8 (@Knight Shift hmm.....that decimal point must be off. Should be closer to 188ppg with the greatest OC in the history of Rutgers.)
This is the best site I could find that only includes FBS vs FBS stats, used it a few tines this year on this board.

Like we are 128th out of 131 teams in Red Zone scores at 1.6 a game below only S.Miss 1.5, UMess 1.4 and Colorado 0.9

Last edited:
No. He was headed out no matter what, so was allowed to leave gracefully. No way he was going to be back the following year: the guy was crying on the field at one point. He was in way over his head.
Thank you! The posts about how Mehringer left because he wanted a better job made me worry that I was losing my mind. It was clear at the time -- and everyone on this board knew it -- that he was being kicked out. And for good reason -- he was incompetent, and that's putting it nicely.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
130th in yards per game vs FBS 255.4 yds(New Mexico 221.4)
127th in yards per play 4.1
126th 3rd down conversions per game 3.5
127th in % 25.45
125th completion % 50.93
129th team passer rating 90.5
List goes on and on

Thank you! The posts about how Mehringer left because he wanted a better job made me worry that I was losing my mind. It was clear at the time -- and everyone on this board knew it -- that he was being kicked out. And for good reason -- he was incompetent, and that's putting it nicely.
Everyone on the board knew it? Did you read that thread I posted on his leaving. I just did a quick skim of it but didn't see any of the posts I saw say anything about him being fired and politely let go. Some were happy he was gone and a good number were not happy he left so quickly.

I cite a similar move he made from JMU to Houston, which would make the move from here not unusual. The track record is there for that kind of move in his career. Everything else is just speculation unless someone has something otherwise to cite. I don't know what happened and I have no issue with him leaving whether fired or not but I see revisionist history unless someone can posts something proving otherwise.

BTW all of Ash's OC hired were bad and I wasn't too enthused about any of them but that's not the point. What he did after Texas isn't the point either. The only thing to look at is the move to Texas.

Everyone on the board knew it? Did you read that thread I posted on his leaving. I just did a quick skim of it but didn't see any of the posts I saw say anything about him being fired and politely let go. Some were happy he was gone and a good number were not happy he left so quickly.

I cite a similar move he made from JMU to Houston, which would make the move from here not unusual. The track record is there for that kind of move in his career. Everything else is just speculation unless someone has something otherwise to cite. I don't know what happened and I have no issue with him leaving whether fired or not but I see revisionist history unless someone can posts something proving otherwise.

BTW all of Ash's OC hired were bad and I wasn't too enthused about any of them but that's not the point. What he did after Texas isn't the point either. The only thing to look at is the move to Texas.
So according to you, Mehringer decided it was a promotion to go from being an offensive coordinator to a position coach, and left voluntarily after only a year here. That isn't plausible.

That won't work either. The type of offense that is run is less important than the mastery of its fundamentals. That's what's been missing for the last several years.

So according to you, Mehringer decided it was a promotion to go from being an offensive coordinator to a position coach, and left voluntarily after only a year here. That isn't plausible.
I won't say promotion but a move that could lead to possibly better career position in the future. Also it wasn't just position coach it was WR/PGC (passing game coordinator). He's from Texas and had worked with Herman before and Herman's star was on the rise at the time. If they had done well WR/PGC could lead to OC at a higher profile school in the future or OC at Texas itself it the Texas OC left. Joe Brady turned his PGC position at LSU to a NFL OC position. I also see PGC as closer line to OC vs RGC.

Rhett Lashlee left being Auburn OC under Malzahn to UConn OC for year. He later turned that into SMU OC then Miami OC and now SMU HC. You'd think that was a step down from Auburn to UConn but he did it.

Even Gleeson, moving away from a more successful Ok St program to RU but a move back home and might lead to a better position in the future for him if it worked well. People from the outside would think moving from Ok St to RU was a step down too.

It all depends on the person and what they think might be a good career and/or personal life move.

Last edited:
That won't work either. The type of offense that is run is less important than the mastery of its fundamentals. That's what's been missing for the last several years.
I advocate for spread tempo offenses and I'll go along with that and that's exactly one reason I advocate for them. It's KISS. Never a guarantee but easier to pick up and master and plug and play.

See how quick Baylor or Tenn and I think Fordham etc.. improved on offense after moving towards it. Again, not a guarantee but IF you get the right person in charge and installing it, the improvement CAN come quick.

I actually took a look through it too - @koleszar was on it from the start! But you are correct, many were reacting to the first time they heard the news and the thread did not say he was fired.

But, there were many other threads that soon followed that talked a ton about it. And many were of the same opinion- that a nudging happened and we needed a change.

ADVERTISEMENT