ADVERTISEMENT

Thought for out of the box OOC scheduleing

RUfinal4

Heisman Winner
Apr 24, 2006
Right now schools schedule 3-4 OOC games based on paydays or home games.

What if they were set up like early season hoops tourneys.

Just say a fortune 100 company sponsors it. 4 teams are included.
example: Rutgers, Duke, Ohio, Marshall
1st week is on campus
Ohio at Rutgers
Marshall at Duke
Fortune 100 company negotiates the visiting rate and subsidizes as necessary. Since on campus the tv rights would probably go to the conference for the home team

2nd week at neutral site (say Baltimore)
day night double header with 2 winners and 2 losers
The fortune 100 company pays the schools (say $2 mil for P5 schools and $1 for G5 schools)
Since neutral site the tv rights can be negotiated

If the lambert group / Meadowlands wanted this with Verizojn as a sponsor then
Rutgers, UConn, Temple, Pitt
1st round on campus
2nd round in Met Life stadium

With the competition you suggest Rutgers should win but not many would come.

Is there any precedent for regular season football scheduling to include “either/or” scheduling?

in basketball it certainly is a common thing in the holiday tournaments. I suppose if the money was there, football might do it too, but only in a way in which teams are still getting all their games.

Right now schools schedule 3-4 OOC games based on paydays or home games.

What if they were set up like early season hoops tourneys.

Just say a fortune 100 company sponsors it. 4 teams are included.
example: Rutgers, Duke, Ohio, Marshall
1st week is on campus
Ohio at Rutgers
Marshall at Duke
Fortune 100 company negotiates the visiting rate and subsidizes as necessary. Since on campus the tv rights would probably go to the conference for the home team

2nd week at neutral site (say Baltimore)
day night double header with 2 winners and 2 losers
The fortune 100 company pays the schools (say $2 mil for P5 schools and $1 for G5 schools)
Since neutral site the tv rights can be negotiated

1st round on campus
NO thanks. Don't want to play ANY TEAM THAT HAS A SHOT AT BEATING US. OOC games have to be Totally beatable teams.3-4 wins .Equity towards Bowl Games.

Final4 it is not an outrageous idea because, IIRC, years ago their were quite a few corporate sponsored opening day games. I remember going to one between OSU and either BC or Maryland, memory fades in old age, at the meadowlands. Eddie George was the star at OSU that year. So their is some history for corporate involvement but the current media contracts might create a problem, I don’t know. Also, as beaded said, many schools, especially those with 9 conference games, may want the three OOC games to be more winnable and less competitive.

I would like to see Rutgers play Army and Navy every year
One home one away

Play them within the first 3 weeks

I would like to see Rutgers play Army and Navy every year
One home one away

Play them within the first 3 weeks

now you will face the wrath of those who don't like playing the academies. I remember people hating navy because of their blocking scheme

now you will face the wrath of those who don't like playing the academies. I remember people hating navy because of their blocking scheme

I know

They are great college venues

I always think playing them is so much better than playing FCS opponents

1st round on campus

Met Life Stadium should set up a bowl game with the ACC/BigTen/B12/Army/Navy to have the two highest rank Lambert Trophy teams play the Saturday before New Years. Penn State/Navy would be more interesting than Penn State/Memphis.

ADVERTISEMENT