ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and Questions

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
I'm only a fair-weather fan of Women's Hoops but was at game yesterday.

Those of you who know the team better may have a different/perspective:

I think we'll struggle this year, especially against high-scoring teams. I did not like our offense at all. The post was being force fed all night and way too often unproductive: too much running motion, throwing six passes, to enter pass into post--then turnover or bad miss. Very few 3 attempts (3 points beat 2) and very little slashing to the rim. So, yes: criticism of CViv.

My thoughts. How about those of you who know the team better?

I think we'll struggle this year, especially against high-scoring teams. I did not like our offense at all. The post was being force fed all night and way too often unproductive: too much running motion, throwing six passes, to enter pass into post--then turnover or bad miss. Very few 3 attempts (3 points beat 2) and very little slashing to the rim. So, yes: criticism of CViv.

Good thoughts our offense has been terrible for years

Okay fair weather fan you know everything after watching one game. Give me a break.

Reactions: TRU2RU

The fact that RU's first, second & third string point guards did not dress for the game might have hurt the offense yesterday

Reactions: ChasRC69

OK - did you happen to see the first game against St Francis, a team who returned 3 starters from their NCAA tournament team last year including the country’s #2 scorer at 24.4 ppg?

The game in which the team scored 96 points? Pulled down 73 rebounds (a RAC record)? Shot 16 3 point attempts? Had 3 players with double-doubles (rebounds and points)? Had 5 players in double figures in points?

I believe the offense is much improved from last year. Instead of relying on one player to score, this team has an entire roster who can score. They have 2 point guards who can shoot from the outside and take the ball to the basket. They have a legitimate 3 point threat from anywhere on the court. The preseason has been difficult with injuries to several players meaning practice time has been a lot shorter than the coaching staff would like. The combinations on the floor and the number of turnovers show this.

I’m not saying they will go undefeated but trying to judge a team on one game is foolhardy. Let’s give them a chance. I think you may be pleasantly surprised if you just open your mind and not rely on those same old statements that a CVS team can’t play offenses.

You know what, I was completely upfront that I don’t follow closely and wanted to see how my Impressions matched up with those who knew the team better. In fact I asked at the beginning and end. I thought I might get a reasonable educational response. Apparently not. Sayonara.

I think this team will struggle in the beginning against the better opponents they face.
But as the season goes on will be considered one of the better B1G programs after the freshmen get used to college play and while the team learns how to play together,the way CVS wants them to,.

We can expect this RU WBB team to make the Big Dance.

You know what, I was completely upfront that I don’t follow closely and wanted to see how my Impressions matched up with those who knew the team better. In fact I asked at the beginning and end. I thought I might get a reasonable educational response. Apparently not. Sayonara.
You might have thought you covered not following RU WBB closely, but you didn't come across as asking a question as you looked like you knew the answer.

Sometimes an innocent question can be taken wrong, by the way it's worded.
To tell you the truth, I took what you asked as implying you thought this team won't be successful in the 2018-19 season because of the way it's being coached .

I don’t know everything you moron. Read my freaking post. I was asking for opinions from folks who know the team better than me. I won’t be back Scarletidiot.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me.
Bullshit, bullshit, and bullshit.
Okay fair weather fan you know everything after watching one game. Give me a break.
title of opening “Thoughts and QUESTIONS,” might give a clue.

Then, “Those of you who know the team better might may have a different perspective.”

Then I commented on my observations in a board about basketball

I concluded, “My thoughts: How about those of you who know the team better”?

It’s clear I was being an know-it-all, not asking what others with more knowledge of team thought.

Well, good luck in expanding the board.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
Just got back from the football game and thought I would check in ao the WBB discussions, which is the only program that year in and out has been in the national conversation (all due respect to recent success of Women's soccer and Wrestling). Been to both games. I was worried about playing St. Francis with Sanders and Cryor on the bench. I was more than pleasantly surprised. It was no contest. We completey shut down their best players and we were raining threes as well living off our transition game. They pressed the whole game and Zippy and Noga handled it well all night. I was impressed by how well Caitland looked and played. She has gained a step and was rugged under both boards.

Stoney Brook was a bit more of a contest. We jumped out early but, in spite of a couple of runs, were never in danger. Zippy was out with an ankle problem, but Charise and Noga handled the guard duties well. Noga was chucking up too many threes (Viv will take care of that), but made enough of them. Caitland was impressive again and Stasha appears to have become a leader in her last year. Mael Gilles raised some eyebrows with her play and could become a star. I was expecting more from Guirantes, but she needs to knock off the rust of sitting out her transfer year.

My bottom line is that we have enough talent at all the positions to be very good this year. A nice combination of seniors, transfers and newcomers. A lot of talent has graduated from the other BIG teams, so I am hopeful that we closed the talent gap. With 5 key players on the sidelines, we have not yet seen this team anywhere close to full strength. I am forever a glass half full guy. So, I expect to see this team at the dance. But, then again, I was excited that we beat the spread against Michigan. The only thing missing from this team is fan support, particularly student support.

1 - I too was concerned about the 2nd game, based mostly on the score (I had a glitch on Big10+ and didn't see much of the game). I did see the 1st game where the offense was "on fire" and I also saw the beginning of the game where the commentators discussed the injuries, so, as to that game, I'll accept what everyone else has been saying.
2 - In general, CVS's teams have not been an offensive juggernaut. Specific problems may vary from year to year. So here's the thing - I'm a big CVS supporter. Just win. Score more than the opponent. I know that, on average, the offense is going to be, well, what it is.
3 - I don't mind someone coming on with an honest question, and had no problem with your observations (although I was surprised you didn't know about the 1st game). But the criticism of CViv's offense, year after year, just gets old. No one thinks her offense is a juggernaut. I personally have thought it is better than some think, but it has never been high production.
4 - This year, the offense is probably going to be pretty good when everyone is healthy. And against high scoring teams, Rutgers Women's Basketball wins by holding the score down, not by trying to equal their production. It has been that way the whole time. We also have the potential for significant 3 point shooting this year.

Knight Time Fan said:
"We also have the potential for significant 3 point shooting this year."

3 point shooting has been a major flaw in Vivian's offense for years. If that potential is reached
We might just be praising Stringer's offense before this season is out.

I’d hold out judgement until we get everyone back, and start to gel. Going into the season I thought that Calhoun would be our leading scorer. I still think that.

So Calhoun not yet having played, we could see our offense take a major jump when she is able to play.

Also I think once Arella shakes off the rust, she’s going to do major damage for us. She did hit three shots in the row to put the game out of reach.

Also I think the game against SB wouldn’t have been a contest if we pressed. I don’t know why we didn’t aside of all the injuries.

Last edited:
I’d hold out judgement until we get everyone back, and start to gel. Going into the season I thought that Calhoun would be our leading scorer. I still think that.

So Calhoun not yet having played, we could see our offense take a major jump when she is able to play.

Also I think once Arella shakes off the rust, she’s going to do major damage for us. She did hit three shots in the row to put the game out of reach.

Also I think the game against SB wouldn’t have been a contest if we pressed. I don’t know why we didn’t aside of all the injuries.
lets hope we can hit the 3 because that’s how the game is played now as the men seem to have greatly improved their 3 point shooting lets the women do also

Zeb,You never had a chance:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We are nowhere near full strength and next year we will be the quality of Lenox...Please watch a few before analysis kicks in.

OP was very reasonable and admitted up-front that they didn't know much and were curious what other people thought.

That's a very rude response.

Based on what we've seen in the past, it is completely fair to concerned with the RU offensive philosophy. We have the talent and depth this year to be a high octane offense. I just hope the coaching staff fosters that development.

The OP asked a fair question. No need to be antagonistic. I went to both games and I loved how we played vs St Francis. And then we did seem to revert to our old ways vs Stony Brook, with a lot of passes and then forcing it inside. I did walk away concerned after that game. However, keep in mind we only had 2 true guards suited up. 5 players are injured, including our highly rated freshman, Zippy Broughton. I am hoping we play with more fluidity once we get more players back.

While any year it would be unwise to make too many assumptions after just two games, this year it is particularly the case because of the rash of injuries the team has faced, especially at the guard position that is responsible for a flowing offense.

It is not unreasonable to expect that by the end of the season, the starting guards will be Sanders and Calhoun. Both are injured and have yet to play in any of the two games, and from CVS interviews, have barely been able to practice. Cryor is suspended the first 10 games of the season, and our most highly rated freshmen--Zippy--was out in game 2. So in game 2,.the team dressed 3 guards--NONE of whom played for the team last year.

Until the team gets healthy, they will be a work in progress for some time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT