ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 2022 Offense Depth Chart

Ash_Hole

Junior
Sep 8, 2019
UPDATED

After today's loss, it's tough to get excited, especially about the offense. Especially with losing Bo Melton. But I was looking through what we could be working with, and I actually like the potential here. It's of course wayyyy too early. Transfers in/out will change things. Or if anyone declares. And highly rated incoming class will definitely shake up the rooms.

QUARTERBACK
QB: Gavin Wimsatt RS FR
Sooo excited. Gavin's team now. Most heralded recruit in program history, and his early admittance gave him ability to learn offense and get ready. Evan Simon wasn't too shabby either today.

RUNNING BACK
RB: Isaih Pacheco SR (NFL)
RB: Kyle Monangai
RB: Aaron Young
RB: Jamier Wright-Collins
RB: Samuel Brown
Hope he comes back. With a better line, he'll thrive. If he doesn't come back, the room is stacked. Monangai, Young, Wright-Collins, and 4-star recruit Samuel Brown.

WIDE RECEIVER
WR: Aron Cruickshank SR
WR: Isaiah Washington JR
WR: Amarion Brown FR
WR: Joshua Youngblood JR
WR: Shameen Jones RS SR
WR: Rashad Rochelle
I hope Cruickshank comes back, because he is a serious top tier weapon when healthy. Same with Jones. Isaiah Washington had a real nice game today. Amarion Brown is a 4-star recruit who's too talented not to play year 1. Staff raves about Rochelle, an early-enrolle. Maybe Youngblood unlocks his potential, he caught a touchdown against OSU, and played today. Lot of young talented players in this room, and excited to see who inevitably separates themselves. And honestly, may just come down to chemistry with Wimsatt.

TIGHT END
TE: Johnny Langan SR
TE: Matt Alaimo RS SR
TE: Victor Konopka RS SO
Johnny Everything has the toughness, mobility and blocking versatility to be a solid TE. With a full offseason dedicated to one position, he could thrive. Victor Konopka has a Gronk-like body and got playing time as a freshman. I could see him make major strides. Alaimo was also injured a lot of this year, so will get another chance to shine.

OFFENSIVE LINE
LT: Raiqwon O'Neil RS SR
OG: Reggie Sutton RS SR
C: Gus Zilinskas SO
OG: Ireland Brown JR
RT: Hollin Pierce SO
Krimin is only starter who graduates.

Raiqwon O’Neil selected for All Big10 Honorable Mention by PFF, and 4th best LT 🙌

Sutton comes back from injury, and he was playing great before being lost for the season 3 games in.

Freshman Pierce has sky-high ceiling. Staff has raved about freshman Gus. Both need more reps/film room. Entire line should improve as a unit with a proper offseason, especially since 2 are true freshman and one spent spring camp on defense.

Transfers/Freshmen Paillant, Rainey, Nawaogwugwu and Felter should also grow with another year in the system. Felter and Rainey I believe both played in last game, all were on the 2 deep to start the season. Not sure what happened with former Temple starter David Nawogwugwu, but I know he was injured for a lot of the season?

Then, we bring in 6 7 heralded OL recruits, including the top OL in the state, Jacob Allen. So I think between those 15, it gets sorted out to a good line, and most importantly, improved depth. And that's not including any potential transfers. Lastly, a more mobile QB should also help this unit.

DEFENSE
As for defense, we can save that for another post. We lose a lot of starting Seniors, but Schiano just has a knack for finding talent on the defensive side of the ball. We also have some legit future stars in Max Melton, Longerbeam, Aaron Lewis, Toure, Powell, Hamilton, and others. Izien, Ahantou, Young, and Abraham all return as Seniors. Abraham was listed to first team All Big-10 by PFF. Braswell was out for the season and will return as a RS SR. And we have a great incoming class.

Last edited:
They will really need to hit the transfer portal for WR help. Cruickshank’s health will be an issue going into next year. It looked to be a serious knee injury (probably ACL tear) that is not easy to come back from. The other WRs on the roster seem to lack the explosiveness to beat top B1G DB coverage. Based on some info I heard on Brown, he will need to put on some good weight and you can’t assume a true freshman will help that much next year. The OL is a work in progress, will take time. I would feature Monangai at RB, he has some legit burst and toughness. The defense will probably lose a good deal of experience, they need to develop or find some B1G caliber pass rushers. Against the upper half teams, they do not get pressure on the QBs. I like the potential of the DBs on the roster.

After today's loss, it's tough to get excited, especially about the offense. Especially with losing Bo Melton. But I was looking through what we could be working with, and I actually like the potential here. It's of course wayyyy too early. Transfers in/out will change things. Or if anyone declares. And highly rated incoming class will definitely shake up the rooms.

QUARTERBACK
Sooo excited. Gavin's team now. Most heralded recruit in program history, and his early admittance gave him ability to learn offense and get ready. Evan Simon wasn't too shabby either today.

RUNNING BACK
RB: Isaih Pacheco SR
Hope he comes back. With a better line, he'll thrive. If he doesn't come back, the room is stacked. Monangai, Young, and 4-star recruit Samuel Brown.

WIDE RECEIVER
I hope Cruickshank comes back, because he is a serious top tier weapon when healthy. Isaiah Washington had a real nice game today. Amarion Brown is a 4-star recruit who's too talented not to play year 1. Maybe Youngblood unlocks his potential, he caught a touchdown against OSU, and played today. Lot of young talented players in this room, and excited to see who inevitably separates themselves. And honestly, may just come down to chemistry with Wimsatt.

TIGHT END
Johnny Everything has the toughness, mobility and blocking versatility to be a solid TE. With a full offseason dedicated to one position, he could thrive. Victor Konopka has a Gronk-like body and got playing time as a freshman. I could see him make major strides. Alaimo was also injured a lot of this year, so will get another chance to shine.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Krimin is only starter who graduates. Sutton comes back from injury, and he was playing great before being lost for the season 3 games in. Freshman Pierce has sky-high ceiling. Staff has raved about freshman Gus. Entire line should improve as a unit with a proper offseason, especially since 2 are true freshman and one spent spring camp on defense.

Transfers/Freshmen Paillant, Rainey, Nawaogwugwu and Felter should also grow with another year in the system. They were on the 2 deep to start the season. Not sure what happened with former Temple starter David Nawogwugwu, but I know he was injured for a lot of the season?

Then, we bring in 6 heralded OL recruits, including the top OL in the state, Jacob Allen. So I think between those 14, it gets sorted out to a good line, and most importantly, improved depth. And that's not including any potential transfers. Lastly, a more mobile QB should also help this unit.

DEFENSE
As for defense, we can save that for another post. We lose a lot of starting Seniors, but Schiano just has a knack for finding talent on the defensive side of the ball. We also have some legit future stars in Max Melton, Longerbeam, Aaron Lewis, Toure, Powell, Hamilton, and others. Izien, Ahantou, Young, and Abraham all return as Seniors. Braswell was out for the season and will return as a RS SR. And we have a great incoming class.
Good post. Don't be surprised if Jacob Allen starts at guard as a true freshman. I am also praying for Kaden Lyles to be our starter at center next year.

Last edited:
Pops is a great team mate , a leader and a true Rutgers man. I think that unless he smooths out his running style and becomes more fluid he'll have problems in the pros.
There is so much wasted movement. He runs like a seven year old at 10:00 on Halloween night after he secretly snuck his candy in his room. Lots of movement but not going far.

Reactions: RC71 and BossNJ
Great analysis.
Question. Couldn’t Jones come back for one more year if he wanted to ? Playing last season was a free season and doesn’t count against anyone’s eligibility so technically he only officially played in 3 seasons. Would be help if came back.
‘Also Wright-Collins looked good early on at RB with limited time ..maybe gets more touches next season.

It will be interesting to see over the next few days how many, and which, of the ”seniors” eligible to either leave or stay exercise their option after their exit talk with the staff. That number will determine how many spots come available in the portal. But, regardless, the recruiting of new talent by this staff looks to be far superior to our prior staff so next year should be significantly more talented than this. The schedule, however, is also significantly tougher. Nonetheless we are going in the right direction. To all the true fans we have reason for optimism. To the haters and nay sayers, happy holidays, go root for someone else.

fact is Greg needs to hit the portal hard for a qb, 2 receivers, and 2 offensive lineman. There are some young lineman with potential, but you can’t start 3 of them and go to a bowl game.

Great analysis.
Question. Couldn’t Jones come back for one more year if he wanted to ? Playing last season was a free season and doesn’t count against anyone’s eligibility so technically he only officially played in 3 seasons. Would be help if came back.
‘Also Wright-Collins looked good early on at RB with limited time ..maybe gets more touches next season.

Shameen looked good at times this year. Hope he comes back.
Shameen may be our best receiver for yards after catch. He fights for extra yards and has great awareness of where the first down marker is at.

Reactions: BillyC80
fact is Greg needs to hit the portal hard for a qb, 2 receivers, and 2 offensive lineman. There are some young lineman with potential, but you can’t start 3 of them and go to a bowl game.
A tight end would be nice too.

Shameen may be our best receiver for yards after catch. He fights for extra yards and has great awareness of where the first down marker is at.
I do hope Shameen comes back.
Don’t forget the WR Davis . Didn’t play this year and had those fight issues in July down by the shore.
This guy had offers from Auburn, , Penn State, Nebraska,Oregon, Baylor, Tennessee, PITT, Kentucky, Cincinnati, etc.

I do hope Shameen comes back.
Don’t forget the WR Davis . Didn’t play this year and had those fight issues in July down by the shore.
This guy had offers from Auburn, , Penn State, Nebraska,Oregon, Baylor, Tennessee, PITT, Kentucky, Cincinnati, etc.
Yes. Was hoping for more out of Washington this year, and he had a few moments this year. He actually had more receiving yards in 2019 than in the last 2 years.

In the incoming class, there is also Amarion Brown:

Mostly MAC-like talent returning. Major, major upgrades needed all around. Skill positions don’t measure up and OL and the secondary need the most improvement. But ,of course, we have Gleeson so that should compensate for all offensive deficiencies.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
The TE position is of massive concern to me. I love Langan but he is an H not a true TE. We need a transfer playmaker there.

Reactions: Kbee3
The TE position is of massive concern to me. I love Langan but he is an H not a true TE. We need a transfer playmaker there.
I disagree. Obviously, I would not say no to Travis Kelce but Alaimo and Konopka are both power 5 level players. However, Vedral just didn't look for them in that passing game. Unfortunately, Haskins is graduating. He had a nice TD in the Cuse game, and afterwards, I am not sure why Vedral did not look more to get him involved throughout the season.

The bigger concern is the OL, wide receiver and DL. We'll probably need a QB too; I expect Simon and Snyder to enter the portal.

Reactions: Ash_Hole
I disagree. Obviously, I would not say no to Travis Kelce but Alaimo and Konopka are both power 5 level players. However, Vedral just didn't look for them in that passing game. Unfortunately, Haskins is graduating. He had a nice TD in the Cuse game, and afterwards, I am not sure why Vedral did not look more to get him involved throughout the season.

The bigger concern is the OL, wide receiver and DL. We'll probably need a QB too; I expect Simon and Snyder to enter the portal.
We shied away from anything over the middle all season. The biggest losers in that were the TE's

Great analysis.
Move Wright-Collins to WR. We need athletes there, and with Brown coming in, no room for carries.

Konopka has the measurables, and in limited action he was good.

QUARTERBACK

RUNNING BACK
RB: Isaih Pacheco SR
Hope he comes back. With a better line, he'll thrive. If he doesn't come back, the room is stacked. Monangai, Young, and 4-star recruit Samuel Brown.

WIDE RECEIVER
I hope Cruickshank comes back, because he is a serious top tier weapon when healthy. Isaiah Washington had a real nice game today. Amarion Brown is a 4-star recruit who's too talented not to play year 1. Maybe Youngblood unlocks his potential, he caught a touchdown against OSU, and played today. Lot of young talented players in this room, and excited to see who inevitably separates themselves. And honestly, may just come down to chemistry with Wimsatt.

TIGHT END

OFFENSIVE LINE
Krimin is only starter who graduates. Sutton comes back from injury, and he was playing great before being lost for the season 3 games in. Freshman Pierce has sky-high ceiling. Staff has raved about freshman Gus. Entire line should improve as a unit with a proper offseason, especially since 2 are true freshman and one spent spring camp on defense.

Transfers/Freshmen Paillant, Rainey, Nawaogwugwu and Felter should also grow with another year in the system. They were on the 2 deep to start the season. Not sure what happened with former Temple starter David Nawogwugwu, but I know he was injured for a lot of the season?

Then, we bring in 6 heralded OL recruits, including the top OL in the state, Jacob Allen. So I think between those 14, it gets sorted out to a good line, and most importantly, improved depth. And that's not including any potential transfers. Lastly, a more mobile QB should also help this unit.

DEFENSE
As for defense, we can save that for another post. We lose a lot of starting Seniors, but Schiano just has a knack for finding talent on the defensive side of the ball. We also have some legit future stars in Max Melton, Longerbeam, Aaron Lewis, Toure, Powell, Hamilton, and others. Izien, Ahantou, Young, and Abraham all return as Seniors. Braswell was out for the season and will return as a RS SR. And we have a great incoming class.
Will Gus Zilinskas be a red shirt freshman or a sophomore? I don't believe he played in more than 4 games.

I agree with Husky above.

I don't care how many of the OL come back. They weren't any good this season. The entire offense depends on that line and it's Big East/AAC-level in my opinion. Schiano needs to hit the portal B1G time this offseason and find some starters that can help make a massive improvement and protect Wimsatt.

I agree with Husky above.

I don't care how many of the OL come back. They weren't any good this season. The entire offense depends on that line and it's Big East/AAC-level in my opinion. Schiano needs to hit the portal B1G time this offseason and find some starters that can help make a massive improvement and protect Wimsatt.

I mean NJ.com is reporting that within program they see Hollin Pierce as a 1st round draft pick… He certainly has the size, mobility and intangibles.

Reggie Sutton was playing at a B1G level before being injured 3 games in

Raiqwon is good, and continued to improve. Not easy with so many changing parts and young players.

Staff raves about Gus. He’s only a freshman. Another true freshman.

As for Ireland Brown. He wasn’t even supposed to play offense this year and switched into the season.

Rainey and Felter have shown flashes.

But when you start 3 freshmen (essentially) — what do you expect of a line? I think there’s a lot of talent here. And best part is we have 7 coming in, who will push the room even more.

And should we still look to the transfer portal? Absolutely

Well, we lose Pacheo. Bummer.

But on bright side, PFF rated Raiqwon O’Neal as Honorable Mention All-Big 10, and their 4th best LT this past year.

PFF All Big 10 List

This counters the opinion above that we don’t have anyone worthy of playing B1G football. Nice to know O’Neal can protect Wimsatt’s blindside.

Schiano’s also been hitting the transfer portal hard, offering multiple OL starters already

Well, we lose Pacheo. Bummer.

But on bright side, PFF rated Raiqwon O’Neal as Honorable Mention All-Big 10, and their 4th best LT this past year.

PFF All Big 10 List

This counters the opinion above that we don’t have anyone worthy of playing B1G football. Nice to know O’Neal can protect Wimsatt’s blindside.

Schiano’s also been hitting the transfer portal hard, offering multiple OL starters already
He should have been in the Portal a year ago looking for OL in addition to all the D he brought in.
Going to be tough..need to close.

He should have been in the Portal a year ago looking for OL in addition to all the D he brought in.
Going to be tough..need to close.
What we don't know, and maybe it's on the Premium side, are the ones RU tried for and missed. Just guessing they tried on at least one or two OL.

What we don't know, and maybe it's on the Premium side, are the ones RU tried for and missed. Just guessing they tried on at least one or two OL.
Not so sure on that. With all the success on Defense transfers in Greg’s first two seasons the OL was a sore thumb. Even had to shift DL players to OL. Need to get 2 sure finds now for the OL.

UPDATED

QUARTERBACK

RUNNING BACK
RB: Isaih Pacheco SR (NFL)
RB: Kyle Monangai
RB: Aaron Young
RB: Jamier Wright-Collins
RB: Samuel Brown
Hope he comes back. With a better line, he'll thrive. If he doesn't come back, the room is stacked. Monangai, Young, Wright-Collins, and 4-star recruit Samuel Brown.

WIDE RECEIVER
WR: Shameen Jones RS SR
WR: Rashad Rochelle
I hope Cruickshank comes back, because he is a serious top tier weapon when healthy. Same with Jones. Isaiah Washington had a real nice game today. Amarion Brown is a 4-star recruit who's too talented not to play year 1. Staff raves about Rochelle, an early-enrolle. Maybe Youngblood unlocks his potential, he caught a touchdown against OSU, and played today. Lot of young talented players in this room, and excited to see who inevitably separates themselves. And honestly, may just come down to chemistry with Wimsatt.

TIGHT END

OFFENSIVE LINE
Krimin is only starter who graduates.

Raiqwon O’Neil selected for All Big10 Honorable Mention by PFF, and 4th best LT 🙌

Sutton comes back from injury, and he was playing great before being lost for the season 3 games in.

Freshman Pierce has sky-high ceiling. Staff has raved about freshman Gus. Both need more reps/film room. Entire line should improve as a unit with a proper offseason, especially since 2 are true freshman and one spent spring camp on defense.

Transfers/Freshmen Paillant, Rainey, Nawaogwugwu and Felter should also grow with another year in the system. Felter and Rainey I believe both played in last game, all were on the 2 deep to start the season. Not sure what happened with former Temple starter David Nawogwugwu, but I know he was injured for a lot of the season?

Then, we bring in 6 7 heralded OL recruits, including the top OL in the state, Jacob Allen. So I think between those 15, it gets sorted out to a good line, and most importantly, improved depth. And that's not including any potential transfers. Lastly, a more mobile QB should also help this unit.

DEFENSE
As for defense, we can save that for another post. We lose a lot of starting Seniors, but Schiano just has a knack for finding talent on the defensive side of the ball. We also have some legit future stars in Max Melton, Longerbeam, Aaron Lewis, Toure, Powell, Hamilton, and others. Izien, Ahantou, Young, and Abraham all return as Seniors. Abraham was listed to first team All Big-10 by PFF. Braswell was out for the season and will return as a RS SR. And we have a great incoming class.
Time to scratch O'Neal

Reactions: Ash_Hole
The basketball team has done it’s job this year with beating the top tier teams and likely going to the big dance. Time for the football team to get a few unexpected wins this year and surprise the world. I am looking forward to this year being a breakthrough year for the team.

ADVERTISEMENT