ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Iowa Game

fluoxetine

Heisman Winner
Nov 11, 2012
Give credit to Iowa for hitting a lot of shots, many contested, and for generally playing a really good game imo.

That said, we played very badly, no energy, lots of dumb mistakes. Watching Cliff get destroyed on the boards is very frustrating and should not happen.

This game does not change my opinion that we are a top 20 team. I also believe Iowa is better than people think.

I know we are a bad offensive team. With the exception of today we are an elite defensive team. I really don’t know if we can sustain past energy levels through out the season.

If we do we will be fine.

If we cant we can be a team that gets beat badly by a 1-3 team at home.

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
One more thought: we still hesitate on way too many shots.

Cam gets a number of semi-contested 3 point looks and he needs to take some of them.. especially when we are down 10 midway through the second half and especially considering how bad our half court offense is

I know we are a bad offensive team. With the exception of today we are an elite defensive team. I really don’t know if we can sustain past energy levels through out the season.

Temper that 1-3 Iowa team stuff. Murray missed 3 games and they went into a bit of a slump until they adjusted. He came back last game and scored 30 points in the 21 point comeback against Indiana last game and 17 today with a number of big 3’s late on the shot clock and the killer basket with 1 on the shot clock on the lib underneath. Their offensive efficiency is 12th in the country and today they had the offense humming . They get 3 big performances from Labraca , Sanderford and Murray and if they get 3 of their guys to play offense like that , they will win plenty of BiG 10 games.

Iowa has had some shit games but they are still a very good offensive team and that will sometimes be able to overpower even the best defenses.. especially when that defense appears to have less energy than usual AND they are hitting shots

Reactions: kcg88 and Loyal-Son
Give credit to Iowa. They played a lot of zone which we had trouble with (good scouting), and they hit their threes. They came in motivated and energized and we didn't match it in the first half. Nevertheless, we fought back in the second half and didn't quit. Except for Minny, all the teams can lose to any other on any given night.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Rutgers going into this game was excellent on defense and mediocre on offense.The problem today is that Iowa offensive ball movement and 3 point shooting overpowered Rutgers defense while the Rutgers offense had no go to scorers .Two straight games Cliff was out played by the opposing center and today the other starters had great difficulty making shots.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Give credit to Iowa for hitting a lot of shots, many contested, and for generally playing a really good game imo.

That said, we played very badly, no energy, lots of dumb mistakes. Watching Cliff get destroyed on the boards is very frustrating and should not happen.

This game does not change my opinion that we are a top 20 team. I also believe Iowa is better than people think.

Iowa has come along since losing to E Illinois to home. Got to give them credit. Great coach, great offense

Cliff is turning out not to be what we need him to be

we are top 25 but only when we have the hunger

Iowa has our number

I think Iowa is decent but I dont think they are a top 6 or 7 school in this league, I fall between you and some others who now like them alot

Our offense was bad but that’s happened often. I know people are saying they hit contested 3s but I saw a boatload of wide open 3s, especially in the first half. If we play our normal D, we win this game, regardless of today’s putrid offense.

Ru was sluggish mostly in the first half, picked up some what in the 2nd half. Too many balls up close, just thrown at the basket.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
If the B1G keeps going the way it is, the top teams could all end up with 7 losses and several teams with 10 wins.
With the exception of Purdue and Minnesota - every team will end 10-10 in conference.....:)

We will know rather quickly but this might just be a throw away game , We have a great defensive team and and also a team that has many offensive challenges
I think this team will scrap its way to another NCAA bid but it will be a struggle unless another player steps up offensively
The most likely to me is Simpson
I think yesterday boiled down to 3 things
1 Tired legs
We played 3 games in 5 days
At this level you need everything you have to compete every day
2 Clash of styles
We over play on defense and they move the ball extremely well , they made the extra pass efficiently
3 They made a lot of 3s, we didn't

Reactions: RU84
So tired of being inept on offense. Its got to stop.
Rutgers has too many players that only average betwwen 5-12 points a game.They are averaging 65 points against B1G Ten teams which leaves for little margin for error .Iowa is a offensive juggernaut averaging 81 points and in this game scored 76 points resulting in a 11 point win.Rutgers depends on defense to hold opponents signifcantly below scoring average.Sometimes it works like in the Maryland and Indiana games.

Rutgers has too many players that only average betwwen 5-12 points a game.They are averaging 65 points against B1G Ten teams which leaves for little margin for error .Iowa is a offensive juggernaut averaging 81 points and in this game scored 76 points resulting in a 11 point win.Rutgers depends on defense to hold opponents signifcantly below scoring average.Sometimes it works like in the Maryland and Indiana games.

You know nobody on the 2019-20 team (our best offensive team, averaged more than 12 points, right)? We have 4 guys averaging double figure. 7 guys averaging 7+ ppg. I don’t think this is the issue.

Iowa’s zone D really flummoxed our offense,
That's what happens when you pass the ball around on the perimeter and run the clock until single digits most of the time. We should have featured Cam a lot more as someone else said.

That's what happens when you pass the ball around on the perimeter and run the clock until single digits most of the time. We should have featured Cam a lot more as someone else said.

There are many strategies for attacking a Zone in the half court offense. I too would have liked to have seen more high screens for Cam. But, I would have also liked to have seen Mulcahy at the foul line inside the zone to receive entry passes by the other guards and then he could look to pass out to shooters like Cam, or to cutters on the baseline, who could then either attack the rim or kick out for threes depending on how the Zone reacts. It will be interesting to see how Pike adjust going forward, as RU has not seen a lot of zone, but may see some again at NWU. (Of course the best way to beat a zone is to force TOs on D, which lead to fast breaks that beat the zone down the floor. RU did not get a lot of those against Iowa, which added to our Offensive woes).

Reactions: Rhuarc
Our offense was bad but that’s happened often. I know people are saying they hit contested 3s but I saw a boatload of wide open 3s, especially in the first half. If we play our normal D, we win this game, regardless of today’s putrid offense.
I agree. Given the looks Iowa had, just under 50% on 3s was good shooting but they weren't out of their minds. Made some very tough ones but missed other open ones.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT