ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the national scene

Why can't we have a former walk-on billionaire donating to our NIL.
Not sure if he's a billionaire, maybe just very rich, but there was a guy whose kid played with Bryan Antoine and Scottie Lewis at Ranney and the kid got a walk-on spot at Florida (along with Lewis who went there on scholarship). That would've been nice lol

I have no idea if the dad is doing anything for Florida's NIL but he did own the houses that at least one of Lewis and Antoine's families lived in while they were in New Jersey. He said he was renting them to the families at a fair market rate. I can only assume he was winking while he said that.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Not sure if he's a billionaire, maybe just very rich, but there was a guy whose kid played with Bryan Antoine and Scottie Lewis at Ranney and the kid got a walk-on spot at Florida (along with Lewis who went there on scholarship). That would've been nice lol

I have no idea if the dad is doing anything for Florida's NIL but he did own the houses that at least one of Lewis and Antoine's families lived in while they were in New Jersey. He said he was renting them to the families at a fair market rate. I can only assume he was winking while he said that.
Yes, I know the story.

I've talked to the grandfather who was an attorney and the dad is in the financial world, or I have it backwards. Also, my friend is on 'Nova's staff and was involved in recruiting Antoine.

I thought there was a younger brother at Ranney and the thought was the dad was going to do the same thing and bring in some more studs to play with his son.

I think you're being way optimistic regarding RU being "potent". Where does our offense come from? Cam is the only natural scorer we have with your four starters and either Hyatt or Mag. Other teams will put their best defender on Cam. If he's shut down, where do we go? Our best offense will be to rebound and push the ball, and if we don't play great defense every game, we're going to struggle to make the NCAA tourney.

It all depends on if the offense will be dependent on ISO sets. So far I see much more ball movement than the previous few years which leaned Geo and Ron ISO centric. If you have one or two other serviceable 3 point shooters on the floor with Cam (for instance - so far both Paul and Simpson are over 33% and 35% respectively to start the season) it will make it difficult to opposing defenses as they will not be able to both sag in on Cliff and cover the perimeter at the same time. I imagine that Cliff will be fouled a lot because of this - so his FT% will need to be much better than his current 50% rate.

I think you're being way optimistic regarding RU being "potent". Where does our offense come from? Cam is the only natural scorer we have with your four starters and either Hyatt or Mag. Other teams will put their best defender on Cam. If he's shut down, where do we go? Our best offense will be to rebound and push the ball, and if we don't play great defense every game, we're going to struggle to make the NCAA tourney.
I tend to stay optimistic when it comes to my fandom of teams. I don't remember Rutgers through Wenzel, Bannon, Waters, Hill Jr,, Rice, Jordan, that fits the mold of how Cam plays the game, clośest maybe the Billets, but both were generously 6'0, neither had the ability to score at all 3 levels, rim, mid and 3pt range and automatic at the free throw line like Cam. Cam also uses his frame and weight well at the guard position. Paul showed in 4 game ranked winning streak last year that he has that ability to take over a game, even in that loss vs NW. Cliff we know has that in him. The Caleb vs Notre Dame in the first 4 of the NCAA tournament shows up more consistently in his last year has that ability. Mag and Hyatt can benefit from being that 5th option less focus on them they both have scored in double figures more than once this year. I like what Derek and Woolf brings off the bench as a pretty deep 8 player rotation. Will it come together the way I think it could, maybe, maybe not, but I'm hopeful that it will by January 1, even Bucknell and Coppin St are quality warmups leading to the B1G conference slate. I think the next 4-5 years and beyond are going to be very memorable, because that's when Pikiell hit his stride at Stony Brook going I think 119-48 his last 5 years there.

Last edited:
Found a complete gem from November 27, 2021. Includes our fans upset that paul and Caleb played 71 minutes and Jaden Jones and Hyatt barely played.

That thread should be hanging in the Louvre.

It all depends on if the offense will be dependent on ISO sets. So far I see much more ball movement than the previous few years which leaned Geo and Ron ISO centric. If you have one or two other serviceable 3 point shooters on the floor with Cam (for instance - so far both Paul and Simpson are over 33% and 35% respectively to start the season) it will make it difficult to opposing defenses as they will not be able to both sag in on Cliff and cover the perimeter at the same time. I imagine that Cliff will be fouled a lot because of this - so his FT% will need to be much better than his current 50% rate.
The amount of ball movement has been almost completely a function of how much ball pressure from our opponent and how the guards have handled it.

Michigan State historically does not recruit at nearly close to this level. They did this year and next. Michigan has recruited at this level recently but have underperformed tremendously. Could be coaching. Could be internal. Not sure. But the notion that the Big Ten does not have to win a National Championship ever again is in my opinion way off base. You can't have UConn win 3 and Nova win 2 since the Big Ten last won one. It is indicative of some issue in the Conference. Style of play?Bad scheduling?Bad recruiting. Who really knows.I will hitch my wagon to style of play and historic bad veteran guard play. And the only teams this year which seem like a last weekend possibility are Purdue and Michigan State. We shall see.Hope I am wrong.
You might be on to something with the "bad veteran guard play." Curious how many NBA guards the conference has produced vs the other power conferences.

Found a complete gem from November 27, 2021. Includes our fans upset that paul and Caleb played 71 minutes and Jaden Jones and Hyatt barely played.

McConnell had a good game yesterday.
Compared to anything. Nobody would be giving McConnell any shit for his performance yesterday if not for the other games this season. He was arguably our best player yesterday.
The game is 40 minutes. You’re cherry picking to make him look bad.

He had 9 assists, 6 steals, 6 rebounds, and only 1 turnover. It’s absolutely ridiculous that you won’t admit he played well.

Pretty happy with my posts in that thread tbh..

ADVERTISEMENT