ADVERTISEMENT

Thread from men's BB board regarding WBB/Sue Bird

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Been watching this for a couple of days, but chose not to get involved. Only posting now because most that post here do not bother with that board. Fascinating to see how sexism, and other issues are looked at. Also, was waiting to see if it got locked, or certain posts deleted, NOT.
Almost nobody there wants to admit to any interest in WBB, yet it has thousands of views, and hundreds of posts. What we(as BB fans put up with, the men's game/And their coaches over the years), naked free throws, slamming BB's in players heads, etc.
Very disappointed in most comments/ thoughts.
Was under the impression, that Rutgers men/grads were more intelligent.
Like to have an open discussion, with NO name calling, if possible.
Also, since the mods "chose" not to lock/edit/delete, fair game on here. To bad nobody wants to bother posting here including me.

Yes. I saw the thread and read part of it but have little patience for the (embarrassing) ignorance.

Sue Bird has been in several commercials over the years - I think State Farm is one from more than a year ago. Plus AMEX, CarMax (Bird the Goat) and others that may only play on the West Coast? She is quite marketable and well-respected by many. I do not recall seeing the one for the beer (Corona). The one for Capital One with Larry Bird and Magic etc has been shown quite a few times. Like many, I tend to tune out the commercials. Anyway, not knowing about the commercials or even not knowing Sue Bird is not the embarrassing part. The attitudes are.

Wasn't she one of the USA flag bearers for the 2020-21 Olympics in Japan?

Stewie is in a Coke ad that is showing now that I don't like because it seems dark and not direct but talks about GOAT with her, too. Lisa Leslie narrates. But that may be directed at a different demographic. That ad probably has even fewer people recognizing her.

The whole concept that it is not necessary or advantageous to open up the world to a larger percentage of the population is also typical ignorance. Denigrating women's sports is also possibly representative of some levels of insecurity.

Some of it (comments) seems to be the normal chain yanking from posters who like to cause controversy and may or may not believe what they are posting. But some of the commentary may be sincere in the ignorance. If the ignorance does not harm people, it is no big deal and some of it is just a matter of opinion. But when the ignorance hurts the ability of people to make a living or to live in safe neighborhoods or the like, then it seems harmful. But who am I to judge?
I can just choose to not participate since it just a message board that is supposed to be for fans.

Go RU!

Criticizing her in the Capital One ad, as some were, simply means that they do not "get" the ads. Of all the ads I don't watch, and they are many, I don't fast forward on the Capital One ads with Magic, Charles, etc. They have been on for years and have always been clever. Sue is not on that ad for diversity purposes as some were claiming, but because she fit in perfectly with the quirky humor.

I didn't read much of the thread, it made me ill.

Been watching this for a couple of days, but chose not to get involved. Only posting now because most that post here do not bother with that board. Fascinating to see how sexism, and other issues are looked at. Also, was waiting to see if it got locked, or certain posts deleted, NOT.
Almost nobody there wants to admit to any interest in WBB, yet it has thousands of views, and hundreds of posts. What we(as BB fans put up with, the men's game/And their coaches over the years), naked free throws, slamming BB's in players heads, etc.
Very disappointed in most comments/ thoughts.
Was under the impression, that Rutgers men/grads were more intelligent.
Like to have an open discussion, with NO name calling, if possible.
Also, since the mods "chose" not to lock/edit/delete, fair game on here. To bad nobody wants to bother posting here including me.
You had me up until “more intelligent”.

I’ve been on the boards for many years, I’ve seen some of the most ridiculous posts and statements. And I can surely tell you intelligence is lacking. Most those boards are littered w/ people who have no clue what they’re even talking about, they can’t stay on subject, responds off topic once you add logic and reasoning to a conversation…, I could keep going. Keep in mind these people are various ages, stages of life, and could be just flat out slow.

Remember, not everyone who posts on these forums is a Rutgers alum or grad.
If you want to add value to that thread you should simply post in it and play the game on their (our) court vs. take it to your own gym. I'm sure the diversity of WBB fans who reside over here would be a welcome addition (at least for me).

Please keep in mind that there are likely about 5 different debates going on in that thread at the same time. I'm still in shock folks living for MBB don't know who Vince Carter or Christian Laetner are by looks.

As a white man who has been successful in the business world I realize some of my success is due to hard work, sacrifice, luck and also who I am, a white man. We can debate how much is due to each of those characteristics. I stated to my wife I am done with the rivals message board after my experience with the Sue Bird tract but could not resist. I wanted to see where it was going or hopefully see it came to grinding halt or shut down. I thought we, white men were better than this. I realize a more diverse workforce makes a better and more profitable workforce. That trend is a threat to some. It is sad where we are.

As a white man who has been successful in the business world I realize some of my success is due to hard work, sacrifice, luck and also who I am, a white man. We can debate how much is due to each of those characteristics. I stated to my wife I am done with the rivals message board after my experience with the Sue Bird tract but could not resist. I wanted to see where it was going or hopefully see it came to grinding halt or shut down. I thought we, white men were better than this. I realize a more diverse workforce makes a better and more profitable workforce. That trend is a threat to some. It is sad where we are.
Well said RUKen!

Reactions: Bon1674
Please don't leave this board , but stay and fight in an effort to make it better for all and drive away those who consider themselves better than those they consider different than them.

If you're gonna lump all us "White Men" into a pile and throw us ALL under the bus then See Ya. I was embarrassed by plenty of comments made but I take them as individuals. Same as I do when folks of other races/genders make them. To be told what my opinion is because I'm a White Guy or Old Boomer is insulting. Go flog yourself in shame but please don't put me in that club. There are close minded factions across every sub-class of people. Race, gender, political, religious.
Call out the dopes. I'm not making excuses for them. Put this on the Men's BB and FB sites or CE Board where you can shame them at the source. Sorry. I just find it weird to be seeing a guy come over to the women's board to trash the men. White men.

And BTW..I too worked for a few F50 over my 35 years. Cross functional team member for Product Launches at Kraft, Nabisco, PepsiCo. I was also a Regional Sales Manager with direct hiring responsibility so I also know a thing about the subject (which I didn't engage in). But I did think being upset about Sue Bird in commercials was stupid. And posted I thought it was just fine given her accomplishments.

If you're gonna lump all us "White Men" into a pile and throw us ALL under the bus then See Ya. I was embarrassed by plenty of comments made but I take them as individuals. Same as I do when folks of other races/genders make them. To be told what my opinion is because I'm a White Guy or Old Boomer is insulting. Go flog yourself in shame but please don't put me in that club. There are close minded factions across every sub-class of people. Race, gender, political, religious.
Call out the dopes. I'm not making excuses for them. Put this on the Men's BB and FB sites or CE Board where you can shame them at the source. Sorry. I just find it weird to be seeing a guy come over to the women's board to trash the men. White men.

And BTW..I too worked for a few F50 over my 35 years. Cross functional team member for Product Launches at Kraft, Nabisco, PepsiCo. I was also a Regional Sales Manager with direct hiring responsibility so I also know a thing about the subject (which I didn't engage in). But I did think being upset about Sue Bird in commercials was stupid. And posted I thought it was just fine given her accomplishments.
But you are a racist. And you didn't earn your rewards. A POTUS told me so.

Reactions: bac2therac
It's an unfortunate truth that this is a for-profit site that derives its revenue from the amount of clicks it gets and the number of premium subscriptions it sells. So the more controversial the views are, the more money the site makes. It's not a representation of the community at large nor the Rutgers alumni/fan base. What it is is a bunch of guys who are prolific posters who may have some expertise in one specific area of Rutgers sports and garner a lot of attention, who have convinced themselves they are experts at everything and hold very toxic views about liberals, women, and minorities. If you put about 10 posters on ignore, the entire site would probably collapse upon itself.

The silent majority of posters here don't engage in the non-Rutgers stuff and just let the ignorant posters rant amongst themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT