ADVERTISEMENT

Threads bashing players

higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
Hey all,

Just wanted to see if we could think before we start threads that are going to start a pile on about a player. It doesn't look good as a fan base to be this way. There are game threads, and you can post in a comment of another thread if you want to do that.

I know we have a lot of new fans at the RAC, and a lot of new posters here. I also know some people may just continue to do it. People will people.

Still, I don't think it's right, and I don't think it sets the proper standard with us being Rutgers Alumni.

A recent thread ripped a player who very much happens to play hard for his team and fans EVERY single game. Sure, it might not translate to wins, or points, but this particular player hustles more than anybody. Couple bad games and what do you know- thread.

This particular player could not be a nicer kid. He is extremely humble, and works very hard.

Most importantly, he does his best to entertain us, and we should appreciate that.

Think before you make a post ripping a player, or with his name as the name of the thread.

I appreciate the consideration. I know people will still choose to do so, but that's on them. When you point fingers, or rip others, there is always one finger that points back to yourself.

Let's go Knights!

Last edited:
Thank you. In the not so distant past we would have drooled over staying with MSU, Wisky on the road, and beating an ACC team at their place. Young team. Next year these close L's will be W's.

In addition, it’s pretty well known that most of these kids check these boards from time to time to see what is is said about them (e.g. Corey did often). Threads bashing players do not motivate them to play any harder for Rutgers.

No one was ripping said player. Just discussing what they see on the court. We are all adults, we can have discussions.

eh

Yeah, but everyone knows this, and you can write in a game thread about it. To single out one player when the game is played with 8-10 is not reasonable. Ripping may be a little harsh. But if it's going to be a pile on, why not just do it in the game thread? Especially when it's done repeatedly. Also, about a kid that hustles probably more than any one.

In addition, it’s pretty well known that most of these kids check these boards from time to time to see what is is said about them (e.g. Corey did often). Threads bashing players do not motivate them to play any harder for Rutgers.

I agree. These kids are also 17-21 years old. They are not at peak maturity, and are probably still developing from a self esteem standpoint. Everyone wants to think since they seem confident on the court, they are probably fine to take this in real life. In actuality, that could not be the case.

There is a huge difference between ripping a player and pointing out observations of their play commenting on it appropriately.

Personal attacks and hatred should be off limits which is something I would hope we can all agree on, but if you can't point out anything negative about a players game on a message board... that is absolutely ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with objective evaluations of a players game. It should actually be encouraged as it leads to better basketball discussions. Anytime anyone says anything other than 100% positive there are people jumping to "OMG he is riping our player mode" which is getting annoying honestly.

Save this post for when someone is ACTUALLY ripping a player inappropriately

I am
No one was ripping said player. Just discussing what they see on the court. We are all adults, we can have discussions.

eh

I am all about discussion. Just not making titles isolating one player, or players. If you want to do that in the comment section of the thread, fine. Just don't make the thread title a name of a player. Just common courtesy.

I agree that players shouldn't be bashed on these boards. I understand there is a fine line between commenting on quality of play, and bashing a player .... but there is still a line.

However, without the thread bashing McConnell and Carter, it wouldn't have felt so good when they proved that thread wrong over the last 2 games.

You can't use a players name in a thread? Now you are just making up ridiculous rules lol come on man. I completely get your intentions are good but that isnt common courtesy. It's just really really ridiculous

These are not rules. Just suggestions. I stated I am sure many people will not follow them, and that is fine.

I think it can be done in a manner that is not as isolating.

People can do whatever they want. I think we can better represent out fan base,though.

Do whatever. I don't make any rules. I just comment on a message board and type behind a screen. Always open to meeting fellow fans as well,though.

Reactions: dkostus
There is a huge difference between ripping a player and pointing out observations of their play commenting on it appropriately.

Personal attacks and hatred should be off limits which is something I would hope we can all agree on, but if you can't point out anything negative about a players game on a message board... that is absolutely ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with objective evaluations of a players game. It should actually be encouraged as it leads to better basketball discussions. Anytime anyone says anything other than 100% positive there are people jumping to "OMG he is riping our player mode" which is getting annoying honestly.

I am sure those can be found rather quickly. There is nothing wrong with discussion. Look how quickly it turns to a negative pile on.

You are right,though. Scagg. A lot of them are very objective post.

I guess my thing is that I have also seen it go really negative on here. Not objective anymore. We all have. That is what I want to avoid. I could have been clearer.

agree with bac. I don’t recall much bashing. Honestly, the roster top to bottom has been performing better than most expected and most threads are pointing that out in a positive way.

I can only imagine if we had a guy like Thompson from SHU on the team, who was supposed to probably be their #2 scorer and hardly plays. Those would be negative threads...

I root for all of our guys, but I'm not going to sugar coat what I see on the floor. If a player happens to read some message board criticism, and lets it effects his performance, he probably shouldn't be playing to begin with.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
so "some " bashing is OK? Guess if you murder one guy it's not as bad as killing two? what weak excuses

I get the op’s sentiment but in what I take to be this case, I don’t think anyone crossed the line. It’s got to be within bounds to critique a kid’s game. For bashing, see Art Sitkowski.

Hey all,

Just wanted to see if we could think before we start threads that are going to start a pile on about a player. It doesn't look good as a fan base to be this way. There are game threads, and you can post in a comment of another thread if you want to do that.

I know we have a lot of new fans at the RAC, and a lot of new posters here. I also know some people may just continue to do it. People will people.

Still, I don't think it's right, and I don't think it sets the proper standard with us being Rutgers Alumni.

A recent thread ripped a player who very much happens to play hard for his team and fans EVERY single game. Sure, it might not translate to wins, or points, but this particular player hustles more than anybody. Couple bad games and what do you know- thread.

This particular player could not be a nicer kid. He is extremely humble, and works very hard.

Most importantly, he does his best to entertain us, and we should appreciate that.

Think before you make a post ripping a player, or with his name as the name of the thread.

I appreciate the consideration. I know people will still choose to do so, but that's on them. When you point fingers, or rip others, there is always one finger that points back to yourself.

Let's go Knights!

Hey all,

Let's go Knights!

Bravo Hig

The football board has de-evolved into a negative quagmire - the attitude is slowly drifting onto the bball board.

Agree, think you are getting some bandwagon salty football fans over here more often. They may not know much about the game of bball either.

Reactions: gregkoko
I think a lot of the people who complain about the current players have not been watching in person. Watching on TV you do not get a complete picture of what each player is doing on the court. The camera focuses on the player with the ball, so if your only experience is watching on TV you do not see what the rest of the team is doing or how they are playing. You get to see a player miss an open three or throw a pass away. You don't always get to see how they react to their miss or mistake. You don't always see how they play defense or set themselves up to rebound or take a charge. If you are in the arena you definitely get a much better perspective. So, for the arm chair hyper critics I suggest you get off your butt and get to the RAC and see in person what a great group of players we now have on this team. Individually and as a team these guys a real easy to root for and support.

I hope the kids read my posts because I love this team and the fight we see from these kids every game. This team has the full support of most fans and the effort is there. But if someone isn’t playing well, people will post about I and it’s fine. The same way people post when a kid is lighting it up. This board is no different in any other school.

It's a long season and some posters have already made some ridiculous pronouncements about a few of our players. Bottom line is that different guys will step up on some nights, so we can't jump off a cliff when someone has a bad game.

Personally I just don't like when people start speculating that a specific player or two is going to transfer because they may not be playing great ball at this point. One kid was 5 games into his college career and it felt like people were ready to run him off. Next game he played great. Now the speculation has turned to someone else.

Critiquing is one thing, but no player reading the boards should ever feel like we hope he leaves.

If we can't use their names, how descriptive are we allowed to be? For example if i described a player as "the skinny kid from Senegal", is that less intrusive for everybody?

I agree. These kids are also 17-21 years old. They are not at peak maturity, and are probably still developing from a self esteem standpoint. Everyone wants to think since they seem confident on the court, they are probably fine to take this in real life. In actuality, that could not be the case.

Personally I don’t take the approach that you are condemning. I always try and take the soft approach and you know follow the golden rule.

But if these guys are 18 or older they are adults. That’s the framework established. So imo when people use the “they’re just kids” logic I don’t necessarily give it credence.

There have been some ridiculously ignorant comments about players like "invisible", "must get 10 pts per game" and so on. It's my belief that the more extreme the comment, the less basketball knowledge the poster has. Anyone who has played, or coached, on an organized level wouldn't make comments like those. To some posters, Dennis Rodman was a scrub because he didn't score. Great job Higgins, btw (and the other reasonable posters too.).

Last edited:
Reactions: ru66
If we can't use their names, how descriptive are we allowed to be? For example if i described a player as "the skinny kid from Senegal", is that less intrusive for everybody?

People can do what they want.My post was made as a suggestion about starting thread titles with names.

Saying Thiam in a thread comment underneath the main title should not be a big deal as the player is unlikely to read it, and it doesn't single one player out.

You are right,though. Scagg. A lot of them are very objective post.

I guess my thing is that I have also seen it go really negative on here. Not objective anymore. We all have. That is what I want to avoid. I could have been clearer.
Almost all my posts are very positive as I haven't been this excited about a team or program here possibly ever but I don't want the board to be a place where only positive things can be said and anything negative is censored. You just simply can't have a good basketball discussion if no one is allowed to point out anything but positives.

IMO if I'm a player on this team reading the boards I'm thrilled with how pumped the fan base is about the team

ADVERTISEMENT