ADVERTISEMENT

Three Maryland players transferring to other schools

scarlettb

Sophomore
Jul 8, 2011
Destiny Slocum, Kiah Gillespie and Jenna Staiti are all transferring from Maryland, so it's not just our program that is losing players. Slocum is a huge loss for the Turtles. Just as bad as losing Lexi Brown two seasons ago.

you are right, no one wants to lose top players. Maryland has enough quality depth to soften the blow so they will make the NCAA again next year and then Brenda will fill in the gaps with recruiting. RU came off a 6-24 season and Jeune/Parker/Barber were major contributors so now they will count on a whole bunch of players who have never played together...tough task

I do agree though that transferring is an issue everywhere and its getting out hand, no school is immune and there needs to be some restrictions put on these kids who are more like free agents at this point

OP can you change the title a little bit. You make it seem we are receiving 3 transfers from Maryland. Poor wording in title

you are right, no one wants to lose top players. Maryland has enough quality depth to soften the blow so they will make the NCAA again next year and then Brenda will fill in the gaps with recruiting. RU came off a 6-24 season and Jeune/Parker/Barber were major contributors so now they will count on a whole bunch of players who have never played together...tough task

I do agree though that transferring is an issue everywhere and its getting out hand, no school is immune and there needs to be some restrictions put on these kids who are more like free agents at this point
Transferring from a elite school like Maryland is a head scratcher especially for the point guard who was a terrific player .The other players it might be playing time because elite programs keep bringing in recruits that are as good or better than those on the current squad.I wish the two Rutgers teams had such a problem.

Transferring from a elite school like Maryland is a head scratcher especially for the point guard who was a terrific player .The other players it might be playing time because elite programs keep bringing in recruits that are as good or better than those on the current squad.I wish the two Rutgers teams had such a problem.
Transferring is becoming more and more common place at every school.
Unless you know the reason you can only guess.
You can only wonder why a player who was freshman of the year on the B1G and from the WBCA decided to leave.
The other two probably are looking for more playing time, though one of then had said family issues make playing closer to home in her and family's best interest.

Reactions: mikefla
They can't transfer into a BIG team unless they lose 2 years.

There is some initial talk about her wanting to be closer to home which, for her, is Idaho. So perhaps somewhere out west?

So, like Dixon from RU, although there's no good program that's actually close to Idaho.

So, like Dixon from RU, although there's no good program that's actually close to Idaho.
Boise St comes to mind.
Might not be a P-5 conference member, but made the dance and ended their season 25-8

It is OK to transfer from a winner but not a loser? Seems counter intuitive to me. What possible excuse can you have for voluntarily leaving Brenda's program. Constantly held up as an example of what Bac and Nuts think RU should be.

BTW: Now the argument has changed. "transferring is only one of CVS many significant problems" (failed to add "in my opinion)."

From a somewhat mercenary perspective, transferring grants a player an extra year of paid schooling, and might pay for a year of grad school. If the WNBA isn't in your sights and you played as a freshman, transferring increases the value of your scholarship by 25%.

Reactions: RUClassof67
It is OK to transfer from a winner but not a loser? Seems counter intuitive to me. What possible excuse can you have for voluntarily leaving Brenda's program. Constantly held up as an example of what Bac and Nuts think RU should be.

BTW: Now the argument has changed. "transferring is only one of CVS many significant problems" (failed to add "in my opinion)."

if only we can have Maryland's problems...they will be fine, win the Big 10 again and finish in the top 25 while CVS finished midpack and makes the WNIT

bac2therac said:
if only we can have Maryland's problems...they will be fine, win the Big 10 again and finish in the top 25 while CVS finished midpack and makes the WNIT
ever the optimist, wnit?
Sounds pessimistic to me [winking][roll]

I am amazed at the wholesale transfers......I have never seen anything like it before.at Rutgers

I will be interested on how it all works out

I miss the days when Rutgers WBB was a stalwart......

ADVERTISEMENT