ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits: Sacred Heart

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
- Sacred Heart is 1-0 defeating Hartford 77-70 at Hartford. Hartford, our old nemesis, is now a Div 3 school and its HC of 12 years resigned right prior to the game.

- Its leading scorer against Hartford was Joey Reilly who scored 23 points. He's a senior guard.

- There were 3 other players who scored in double digits: Aidan Carpenter; Nico Galette and Raheem Solomon.

- They shot a lot of 3 pointers vs Hartford going 10 for 32. Joey Reilly went 5 for 7 from downtown so it appears if you stop him - they don't have other options.

- They shot 7 for 11 from the charity line.

- Tallest player is 6'8" - so Cliff and Hyatt etc should have big games inside.

- HC is Anthony Latina who has been their HC now for 10 years

Reactions: DirtyRU and Scangg
Last year they opened with an 86-81 OT win @ La Salle. 2nd game lost @Providence 64-92, their only P6. 20-21, Sacred Heart lost @ Rutgers 63-86. 19-20, Sacred Heart lost @ Providence 60-106. It's not going to be close, 25+ pt win.

Reactions: nealbo1
No need for cliff to be outside of the paint in this game. I'd like to see them actually get him the ball on the low block. He rarely gets the ball in that spot when we pass it from the wing.

No need for cliff to be outside of the paint in this game. I'd like to see them actually get him the ball on the low block. He rarely gets the ball in that spot when we pass it from the wing.
It looks like a tremendous mismatch. They don't have any real height. How could Cliff not have a big game ?

Reactions: Scangg
that might also be true for more than this game.

I am not convinced yet that we are better with Cliff having the new weapon. Need more sample size obviously.....I think he was 4-10 from the field. Last year we had a player who in 258 shots had a effective FG% of 62.6%. If Cliff takes 384 shots (12 per game) he needs to be at 58.5% in total for his "EXTRA" shots not to hurt us relative to last year.

258 shots at 62.6%
136 EXTRA shots at 50%

that might also be true for more than this game.

I am not convinced yet that we are better with Cliff having the new weapon. Need more sample size obviously.....I think he was 4-10 from the field. Last year we had a player who in 258 shots had a effective FG% of 62.6%. If Cliff takes 384 shots (12 per game) he needs to be at 58.5% in total for his "EXTRA" shots not to hurt us relative to last year.

258 shots at 62.6%
136 EXTRA shots at 50%
That doesn't factor in floor spacing and what it does to open up lanes to the rim for other players

That doesn't factor in floor spacing and what it does to open up lanes to the rim for other players
It works both ways.

When Cliff is 20 feet from the basket it is tougher to get OREB
When Cliff is on the low box and gets the ball the spacing all of a sudden looks great
On the flip side when Cliff takes the 5 on the perimeter usually the shot blocker is gone.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It works both ways.

When Cliff is on the low box and gets the ball the spacing all of a sudden looks great
On the flip side when Cliff takes the 5 on the perimeter usually the shot blocker is gone.
Cliff also pulls their 5 away so while Cliff won't get an OREB in that scenario, it opens it up for someone else to. We have a height advantage at most positions

It is something to keep an eye on. The additional scoring is only as good as the amount of possessions he needs to score with a minor adjustment to the things you mention.

Can't have Cliff throwing up shots that hit the wrong side of the backboard and can't have Cliff in love with the 3 point line and not down low.

The real added dimension I'd love Cliff to have is force the opposing B1G 5 to have to deal with him beating them off the dribble.

It works both ways.

Cliff also is not a good passer out of the low block he has improved his game immensely but as has been discussed if he leaves after this year I don't think there is anyway he makes the NBA

It is something to keep an eye on. The additional scoring is only as good as the amount of possessions he needs to score with a minor adjustment to the things you mention.

Can't have Cliff throwing up shots that hit the wrong side of the backboard and can't have Cliff in love with the 3 point line and not down low.

The real added dimension I'd love Cliff to have is force the opposing B1G 5 to have to deal with him beating them off the dribble.
Well if he can hit the 3, that may lead to Cliff being able to drive past a defender closing out on him.

Not sure how much we want Cliff driving to the basket. Turnover or offensive foul could be a real concern

Aidan Carpenter who scored 15 points in 17 minutes against Hartford is a question mark for tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT