ADVERTISEMENT

Tillman Update on Rothstein Twitter

I just don’t understand the benefit of UNLV over these other P5 programs? If I recall correctly, wasn’t his Vegas-based family member moving?

For those in the know, how many more wins would he bring to Rutgers? Is he the kind of player that takes an NIT team to an NCAA team ?

For those in the know, how many more wins would he bring to Rutgers? Is he the kind of player that takes an NIT team to an NCAA team ?

He's not coming here, and he wouldn't be eligible this season, but yes he's the kind of guy who can elevate a team.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I just don’t understand the benefit of UNLV over these other P5 programs? If I recall correctly, wasn’t his Vegas-based family member moving?
His mom lives in Las Vegas. She is in bad health. There was talk that she would move back to the Midwest, but if she stays in Vegas and Tillman signs with UNLV, he would have a great case for a waiver and immediate eligibility.

That could be the draw.

His possible visit to St John's is interesting for two reasons.... It shows he's definitely considering relocating to the NYC area but that the Rutgers visit didn't wow him over......

His possible visit to St John's is interesting for two reasons.... It shows he's definitely considering relocating to the NYC area but that the Rutgers visit didn't wow him over......
Or maybe we don’t play the recruiting game the way he wants?

Kept seeing Michigan being mentioned except for it rarely being seen on Michigan sites or blogs. St John's and UNLV are quality programs. Someone will pick Tillman up but assume a waiver and other requests are included. Do these schools have the space in their lineup and have the space this year??....UNLV is the one that may be able to check all those boxes.

If Rutgers didn’t wow him, Saint Johns won’t. No campus and a high school gym.

Utah was a pretty good situation for Tillman.....6th man of the year in the conference, NIT or NCAA caliber roster in recent years, starting minutes expected this year again....maybe it was their coaching staff or situation there, maybe there was nothing wrong at all at Utah and the players family or an unknown situation occurred.

Kids don't pick a transfer situation based on winning games...it's usually a conflict with the existing roster or staff, lack of playing time or uncertainty about the ability to find minutes the next year, or some other situation driving the player to find something else.

It wasn't minutes as the reason he left Utah, so we can scratch that from the list....it wasn't lack of minutes this coming season, Tillman was lined up to start and there wasn't a huge recruiting class or transfer in that was going to cut down on his minutes or keep him out of the lineup.

Each transfer has a story and some sort of reason behind it....in this case, it seems unique because it's not minutes related or the player being recruited over by a similar or better player.....and until someone figures out exactly what he's looking for, it's going to be unknown what school solves that issue. Other than the known health issue with his Mom, there isn't any real definite reasons why that resulted in him leaving. Maybe he thought there would be more interest from other schools, maybe he thought there would be a potential benefit in leaving Utah. All speculation and guesses. What school he ultimately decides on, is going to have to figure out what Tillman's main role will be this year as a sit out transfer OR maybe he really had an idea that he would not have to sit out and would secure a waiver to play this coming year.

Reactions: PaKnight
Drew, lots of other teams made it to the NCAA’s. Just saying if I was a good Division 1 player and had plenty of schools after me, I would not consider Saint Johns (or Seton Hall) as a strong possibility. That is just me.

I'm not sure what he's looking for? I'm actually pretty sure he doesn't know what he's looking for?

Drew, lots of other teams made it to the NCAA’s. Just saying if I was a good Division 1 player and had plenty of schools after me, I would not consider Saint Johns (or Seton Hall) as a strong possibility. That is just me.
Using your rationale Rutgers would have great difficulty recruiting because of decades of non participation in the NCAA Tournament.Right now Seton Hall is the dominant team in the NJ/NY Metro area.

Reactions: Vegas pj
Using your rationale Rutgers would have great difficulty recruiting because of decades of non participation in the NCAA Tournament.Right now Seton Hall is the dominant team in the NJ/NY Metro area.
I agree; especially with a proven coach and they are a top 25 team coming into this season. That doesn’t mean we are not going to get there and I think that first post season bid comes this year. That will help but only slightly unless it’s an NCAA bid and not NIT. I think this year will be NIT unless we play near to perfection.

It takes a certain kid to see the forest through the trees and we have a bunch of those kids now. But.... We also had one of our building blocks bail on his own team so that definitely hurt us a bit. As much as we know as fans, outsiders don’t know so they could easily be influenced by rumors and speculation from anyone. Eugene was upset over something and nobody but him and maybe a few others are aware of exactly what happened? I don’t need another thread about Gene but he’s no longer a Scarlet knight so there’s no telling what he might or has said to others? I think he’s a quitter so I’ll just leave it at that!

Bottom line is that at some point, we are going to land a few players we would never have had in the past. I definitely was expecting it to happen already and it hasn’t so I’m as frustrated as anyone. But I truly am a pikiell believer so when it happens it happens.

If Rutgers didn’t wow him, Saint Johns won’t. No campus and a high school gym.
Don’t they play their home games in MSG? If so definitely not a high school gym. I know the women play on campus (only college gym I’ve been to that screens fans with metal detectors)

Heaven Could he take us from the NIT to NCAA? How could we know that. ? We haven't sniffed either for a long time.

Don’t they play their home games in MSG? If so definitely not a high school gym. I know the women play on campus (only college gym I’ve been to that screens fans with metal detectors)
They play some of their non-conference games in a small on campus gym. Maybe even one or two of their conference games oh, but I'm not 100% sure about that

Are we going to say that every time we swing and miss on a kid? Because there have been a lot of “no biggies.”

I agree that it sucks to keep losing out on guys like how we were seemingly the runners-up to the Martin twins and Vance Jackson and some others, however this particular transfer is a unique thing.

He visited Rutgers and Illinois and the word was he was going to announce mid-July. Now he's taking more visits. Something changed with his recruitment... maybe family stuff, maybe something else. If he had just picked Illinois over us, yeah, that would be one thing. But that isn't the case.

Are we going to say that every time we swing and miss on a kid? Because there have been a lot of “no biggies.”
This really is a no biggie. He’s not better than who we have on our team already at the same position. I’d take him, but if I had to choose between him and someone else of equal skill who plays a position of need, id go that route all day long. Remember, he’s most likely a sit out transfer.

I would include Villanova in our regional overview, Seton Hall has been far from dominant.

This really is a no biggie. He’s not better than who we have on our team already at the same position. I’d take him, but if I had to choose between him and someone else of equal skill who plays a position of need, id go that route all day long. Remember, he’s most likely a sit out transfer.

It's not a big deal IF we land a comparable player. That is not a given.

Reactions: Local Shill
I would include Villanova in our regional overview, Seton Hall has been far from dominant.

Yup. SHU's two 2020 recruits are from Canada and Texas. Their only 2019 recruit is from Canada. (They did have a commit who didn't qualify from New York).

Seton Hall is not the one snapping up NJ talent.

Not including the Big East tournament, looks like Saint Johns played about 13 games on campus and 5 games at Madison Square Garden last season.

He most definitely plays a position of need next year. He could be the starting 4 if he came here and we go small at that spot but he's 6'7 and built.

Not that it's the end of the world if we don't land him and I really like a few of the prospects that we have a shot at, but he would exactly fill a position of need is the reason why we want him in the first place. We potentially could have only freshman at the 4 next year if we don't land some type of transfer which isn't ideal especially with the team primed for a run next season with Geo as a senior and the stud class all juniors

Hawk , the statement was "right now Seton Hall is the dominant team in the NJ/NY Metro area" and as much as it pains you to admit it you cant change that by now including Nova in the NJ/NY Metro area.

RUJM, I would not want to go to either school even as a regular student, but again that is just me. I am just glad we are in the Big Ten, have a terrific Coach, we are opening one of the best facilities in the nation, and finally can see a very good future for the program.

Hawk , the statement was "right now Seton Hall is the dominant team in the NJ/NY Metro area" and as much as it pains you to admit it you cant change that by now including Nova in the NJ/NY Metro area.

There are 3 to 4 teams in NYC or NJ.....SHU SJU RU and possibly Princeton. The Big East invited UCONN back and their border distance wise is further in most cases than NE PA or the Philly market. UConn and Nova have a much bigger marketshare than SHU or Johnnie's do.

If you want this to be a 3 school horserace on dominating, SHU is 1st as a 10 seed, St John's is 2nd as a 11 seed and RU 3rd..

Dominant is winning over an extended period of time (a decade or two)....not 3 to 5 years IMO

They play some of their non-conference games in a small on campus gym. Maybe even one or two of their conference games oh, but I'm not 100% sure about that
Sju drew 16k plus for 4 msg games lastvyr. Nova a sellout, ours a few hundred shy. They have announced they will play more in msg going forward. Last 2 yrs, the place was packed.

Judging by that tweet, it seems like he already has a waiver to play. My assumption is that he could not get such a waiver for Rutgers or Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT