ADVERTISEMENT

Tim McCormick gives his rankings of Big Ten coaches

F Michigan. If not for PSU, they easily would be the B1G school I hate the most. That school just oozes arrogance from the sports teams down to the fans.

I went back to listen to the podcast and I'm more upset than I was last night.

Says this: "Steve Pikiell is solid, he doesn't get outcoached by anyone" and then ranks Pike 8. I guess its a eight way tie for first. Ha.

Aside from Izzo being an obvious number 1. His rankings are terrible.

Gard at number 2??

Well...wait a year from now after this coming season

they will have pike where he belong...top 3 in the league

Reactions: shields
So in-game coaching meaning nothing and player development is an afterthought?
In the world of McCormick and some others...yes it does but I think all Rutgers fans appreciate and are glad Pike is at RU... not fancy but don’t sleep on him.

You said that, not me. Don’t put words in my mouth.
I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I was going after McCormick's reasoning for putting Howard so high on the list as if other factors don't matter. College and NBA are two different types and styles of basketball. Howard hasn't been in the college ranks long enough to merit such a ranking.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I pulled this from a Michigan site.

I don't like the backhand compliment he gave Rutgers.

https://247sports.com/college/michi...en-head-coach-rankings-148303661/#148303661_1
Nothing is the write up is lousy or critical and probably true except for last year when teams were coming to the RAC. Last year and probably from this time forward in the future , the BiG 10 teams know they are going down if they are coming to the RAC so they will give their top effort. If might not look like their top effort because our defense locked them up and then our offense hammered them.
His ranking is a little low and I do not think he gave Pike the level of respect for what he has done defensively , plus what he has done to become extremely competitive with not what he would call “ elite Talent”. But overall not condescending.

Reactions: TODDB33
Team should say that during every postgame interview. Yea we won again despite the 11th best coach.
“Great team win , we want to win the Big ten title so we need to keep focused ....not bad for a team with the 11th best coach “

Nothing is the write up is lousy or critical and probably true except for last year when teams were coming to the RAC. Last year and probably from this time forward in the future , the BiG 10 teams know they are going down if they are coming to the RAC so they will give their top effort. If might not look like their top effort because our defense locked them up and then our offense hammered them.
His ranking is a little low and I do not think he gave Pike the level of respect for what he has done defensively , plus what he has done to become extremely competitive with not what he would call “ elite Talent”. But overall not condescending.
He talked about the weird lighting at the RAC and how teams didn't get up for Rutgers. In the 2018-2019 season, the B1G announcers were talking up Rutgers and the RAC. If he were as in tune with the B1G conference, he wouldn't have made those comments. He would have realized the RAC was a beast of a place to play by the middle of the 2019-2020 season. That's having a mindset to yesteryear and not letting go. Also, he pointed out losing to Rutgers is a bad image on a national level. I think that narrative started to change in year two of Pike, but some people won't let the past go or take the time to look for factual things. Prior to this year, Rutgers was ranked inside the top 100 for Sagarin and Pomeroy, so we're not talking about an absolute clusterf*ck of a program.

He talked about the weird lighting at the RAC and how teams didn't get up for Rutgers. In the 2018-2019 season, the B1G announcers were talking up Rutgers and the RAC. If he were as in tune with the B1G conference, he wouldn't have made those comments. He would have realized the RAC was a beast of a place to play by the middle of the 2019-2020 season. That's having a mindset to yesteryear and not letting go. Also, he pointed out losing to Rutgers is a bad image on a national level. I think that narrative started to change in year two of Pike, but some people won't let the past go or take the time to look for factual things. Prior to this year, Rutgers was ranked inside the top 100 for Sagarin and Pomeroy, so we're not talking about an absolute clusterf*ck of a program.
He might be missing last year’s RAC dominance and not realizing we were a borderline 25 team last year, but I didn’t take his write up offensively

He might be missing last year’s RAC dominance and not realizing we were a borderline 25 team last year, but I didn’t take his write up offensively
Michigan guy picking a Michigan Michigan coach.:Shocked I felt he did give Pike respect, but dismiss Rutgers itself.

Saying that, "you know your going to have a hard time getting your players hyped up," is a nice way of saying, well if Rutgers wins it's because the other team didn't give their best effort.

"The lighting is strange" he's disparaging the RAC as antiquated and not giving the boisterous fans their due. The lightning line is strictly not giving credit for a tough home court atmosphere made by the fans. He went out of his way to find that excuse for our 18-1 home court record.

Finally, "if you get beat on a national level it's looked at as a bad loss." The article was written on June, 18th 2020. Unless Tim has been living under a rock it's not 2016 any longer. A loss to Rutgers was not looked at as a bad loss, the NCAA has a formula for that and we didn't fit the criteria. Actually the reverse is true we became a quality loss.

So yes the write up was condescending when compared to the other revues.

Saying that, "you know your going to have a hard time getting your players hyped up," is a nice way of saying, well if Rutgers wins it's because the other team didn't give their best effort.

"The lighting is strange" he's disparaging the RAC as antiquated and not giving the boisterous fans their due. The lightning line is strictly not giving credit for a tough home court atmosphere made by the fans. He went out of his way to find that excuse for our 18-1 home court record.

Finally, "if you get beat on a national level it's looked at as a bad loss." The article was written on June, 18th 2020. Unless Tim has been living under a rock it's not 2016 any longer. A loss to Rutgers was not looked at as a bad loss, the NCAA has a formula for that and we didn't fit the criteria. Actually the reverse is true we became a quality loss.

Excuse me but don’t both teams play on the same court in the game? McCormick ...wasn’t he a Michigan player in college or am I confusing him with someone else...either or excuses are for the lame.

Reactions: shields
Shows you how far we still need to go to change the perception of our school and programs.

He's saying basically nobody "gets up" for Rutgers, so it's viewed as a "bad loss" because we're historically a bad team. I guess that could have been true the first three years, but last year?

I think Pike just needs to finish in the top 4 in the B1G this year to really flip the narrative on a national level (although WE already know what's going on here).

Shows you how far we still need to go to change the perception of our school and programs.

He's saying basically nobody "gets up" for Rutgers, so it's viewed as a "bad loss" because we're historically a bad team. I guess that could have been true the first three years, but last year?

I think Pike just needs to finish in the top 4 in the B1G this year to really flip the narrative on a national level (although WE already know what's going on here).
That is kinda my take as he was rating Pike overall on his 4 years but not grasping what happened this past year as the narrative around Rutgers has totally flipped. Even Duke and UNC are not calling Pike to play at the RAC nor is any other team in the country. Mc Cormick just slept threw last year.

Reactions: Igniteshield
8 is pretty damn good and probably about right...especially considering he would have been last less than two years ago. recruiting counts so I have no issue with Howard ranked over him especially since he outcoached Pike twice the year... And he wasn’t out coached very often. I do think Underwood is a better coach than Pike, however. I also expect Pike to move up more after this season.

It seems a bit random. Gard, Holtman, Howard are top 5 coaches? I don't see the rationale. But of course it's all subjective click bait anyway, I wouldn't get too freaked...

This list, like every ranking list, is to get people to discuss the subject matter. McCormick did his job. If you were to ask a thousand college hoops fans to compile a list of Top 10 B1G coaches, I'm certain none of the lists would be identical.

IMHO, not listing Brad Underwood in the Top 10 is even more ridiculous than ranking Howard No. 5.

He's not wrong in saying that games at Rutgers don't get opponents as hyped up as games at MSU or Indiana. But is it relevant to the discussion? I don't think it is. If being hyped up for away games meant anything, you'd see some kind of statistical anomaly showing big programs having uncharacteristic slip-ups at home.

It's too difficult to rank the B1G coaches, pretty much every coach is either coming off a career year (Pike, Underwood, Chambers, Gard) or has earned serious respect in the past. Howard is neither, but the writer's take on him is reasonable even though he's a few spots too high, remember how his offense sliced up RU at the Garden, and his recruiting prowess is undeniable.

Other tough ones are Turgeon, Miller, Holtmann. Coaches with strong reputations who took over strong programs and have largely treaded water within each program's expectations.

That was a stupid write up. I love Pilkiel hes underrated as a coach.....you just did the exact same thing you said. You underrated him in the B1G...nonsensical rating

11th, REALLY? BS!!!
The old guards are protecting their turf. Rutgers is not seen as an established program or having a history in the B1G.
Must be the new Math. He was rated 8th best not 11 th. Started with bottom 4.

How can you state Pike got a back handed compliment. Every thing he said was nothing but positive. Now if your saying backhanded because he has him ranked 8th. - then I would say maybe
You posted my quote, but didn't read it. I said the back handed compliment was directed at Rutgers.

Michigan guy picking a Michigan Michigan coach.:Shocked I felt he did give Pike respect, but dismiss Rutgers itself.

Team should say that during every postgame interview. Yea we won again despite the 11th best coach.
“Great team win , we want to win the Big ten title so we need to keep focused ....not bad for a team with the 11th best coach “
8th best not 11th

I didn't see anything backhanded at Pike or RU. Explain please

Read koeszar post to understand why McCormick is disrespectful to Rutgers.

Read koeszar post to understand why McCormick is disrespectful to Rutgers.
OK I see what you mean. In re reading he seems to contradic himself. On one hand he say RU is a team I wouldn't want to play and then says coaches can't get team hyped for RU. If I am a coach and I don't want to play RU I damn sure am going to get on my team if they are coming across as being not ready to play

Didn't have an issue with his comments, though I think he missed a bit on not mentioning the noise level and recent fan engagement at the RAC - and whether that can continue year in and year out. I don't know if he's covered a big game at the RAC, so he might not have first hand experience there.

Don't disagree that Pike's a mid-pack B1G coach right now, and probably deserved by be 6-7, rather than 8, but he still hasn't gotten the program to the Dance (thanks, covid).

As to the "don't get hyped up" comment.... it's true. We're a tough team, and a good team... but we're not a flashy team. National perception doesn't have us as a Top 25 program, or a "name" team to get excited about. When we win over a top program, it raises eyebrows.... and some will land on "wow, they're better than I thought" and others will land on "the other team must have laid an egg". If Pike can keep us on the trajectory we've been on, that will change over the next 1-2 years. Need to consistently make some noise in the postseason, though, to really get any respect or get opposing players hyped up. We've been bloodying some noses, though, and those teams come back wanting revenge - so that's changing on the court, too.

Didn't have an issue with his comments, though I think he missed a bit on not mentioning the noise level and recent fan engagement at the RAC - and whether that can continue year in and year out. I don't know if he's covered a big game at the RAC, so he might not have first hand experience there.

Don't disagree that Pike's a mid-pack B1G coach right now, and probably deserved by be 6-7, rather than 8, but he still hasn't gotten the program to the Dance (thanks, covid).

As to the "don't et hyped up" comment.... it's true. We're a tough team, and a good team... but we're not a flashy team . National perception doesn't have us as a Top 25 program, or a "name" team to get excited about. When we win over a top program, it raises eyebrows.... and some will land on "wow, they're better than I thought" and others will land on "the other team must have laid an egg". If Pike can keep us on the trajectory we've been on, that will change over the next 1-2 years. Need to consistently make some noise in the postseason, though, to really get any respect or get opposing players hyped up. We've been bloodying some noses, though, and those teams come back wanting revenge - so that's changing on the court, too.
I think the BTN announcers gave Coach Pike and Rutgers a pat on the back during the first two years of Pike's era. By Pike's third year, the BTN announcers and B1G coaches were on board with giving Rutgers a lot of hype. Even the ranking/rating systems gave Rutgers credit. Once the season (Pike's fourth) reached the mid-point, national media was sold, and it reflected in being ranked for the first time in a long time. That typically happens (being ranked) after you have built enough creditability with the media and coaches over time. McCormick was an *ss just be to one. If he were paying attention, then he would have realized Rutgers's success was an accident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT