ADVERTISEMENT

Tired of worried about recruiting

RUinSC

All Conference
Aug 10, 2011
Someday- and I hope it's in my lifetime- we will get the kids we want and reload instead of constantly rebuilding. I know folks are happy with this class and it's a good one- for us. But why did we join the Big Ten? Aren't we supposed to be competing at the highest levels? Why can't we recruit at the level of an Ohio State/Michigan in the future? Let's hope Ash (or whoever) gets us there.

Someday- and I hope it's in my lifetime- we will get the kids we want and reload instead of constantly rebuilding. I know folks are happy with this class and it's a good one- for us. But why did we join the Big Ten? Aren't we supposed to be competing at the highest levels? Why can't we recruit at the level of an Ohio State/Michigan in the future? Let's hope Ash (or whoever) gets us there.

How many teams in the conference consistently recruit at the level of OSU and Michigan? Should they leave the conference?

They are 2 of the "blue bloods" of college football for crying out loud. As are most who consistently recruit at that level.

I like the fact that we now have several Big Ten Minds on our staff. That helps a lot for future recruiting and getting better players to play the Big Ten way , but Ohio State and Michigan are still the staples in the Big!

They are 2 of the "blue bloods" of college football for crying out loud. As are most who consistently recruit at that level.

Yes, but even the non blue bloods of the B1G are having much better success at keeping home their In State Top Talent. Everyone on this Board including me was pounding our chest 4 years ago how RU now being in the B1G will immediately result in the Top NJ Talent staying home. Not happening.
Is this year's class better ? Yes of course . But nowhere near where it needs to be in the B1G .
Ash or the next guy must get this done.

Reactions: RUinSC
$$$$$

Make the type of investment OSU and UM make and you will see the same benefits.

Where is the money going to come from to invest, we don't have 100,000+ seat stadiums, full share of B1G, and alumni who donate.

Reactions: mildone
Yes, but even the non blue bloods of the B1G are having much better success at keeping home their In State Top Talent. Everyone on this Board including me was pounding our chest 4 years ago how RU now being in the B1G will immediately result in the Top NJ Talent staying home. Not happening.
Is this year's class better ? Yes of course . But nowhere near where it needs to be in the B1G .

You're talking about state's that ALL have long-standing traditions, within those states, of keeping kids at home. OSU, MSU, Mich, PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois Iowa, etc. etc. etc, have been doing it for nearly a century now, and to expect that to happen overnight here - especially following the Flood debacle - is absurd. Even Maryland has always done a better job at keeping their kids home than here in NJ. These are schools with history with families, coaches, high schools, and state pride, that NJ doesn't come anywhere close to matching. It's gonna take time, period, just like it did with Greg. Not gonna happen overnight, ufortunately.

You're talking about state's that ALL have long-standing traditions, within those states, of keeping kids at home. OSU, MSU, Mich, PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois Iowa, etc. etc. etc, have been doing it for nearly a century now, and to expect that to happen overnight here - especially following the Flood debacle - is absurd. Even Maryland has always done a better job at keeping their kids home than here in NJ. These are schools with history with families, coaches, high schools, and state pride, that NJ doesn't come anywhere close to matching. It's gonna take time, period, just like it did with Greg. Not gonna happen overnight, ufortunately.

Agree the Flood debacle set us back tremendously and might take years for recovery.
The B1G powers recruit the B1G footprint aggressively. Just saying it's real impressive that the likes of Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana and yes Maryland are keeping much more than their "fair share " of their Top 10 Talent home vs. Rutgers . Greg did build this up and his 2011 and 2012 Classes can attest to that. We need this to uptick quickly over the next 2-3 years.

Where is the money going to come from to invest, we don't have 100,000+ seat stadiums, full share of B1G, and alumni who donate.
I told you what you needed, I didn't say i had the funding lined up.

The school could decide to borrow against the future earning and give themselves some more money in the short term to close the gap with the big boys but they haven't done that.

Yet another post from the OP that bemoans a great recruiting class. Why don't you stop worrying and get a hobby?

Reactions: Rokodesh
Schiano showed that it can be done. Question is, do we have the coach to do it again? B1G membership, with all of it's benefits, should help.

I don't know if anyone was pounding their chests about the prospects of immediately keeping talent in NJ. In an odd sort of way, joining the B1G worked against us. It seemed to open up the floodgates (no pun intended) to tOSU, Michigan and Penn State, who already had inroads in NJ. On top of that, we did not have a strong recruiter as HC, and that set us further back. It is what it is, and we have nowhere to go but up from here.

Our recruiting class is GOOD, maybe VERY good. It is not great compared to where we need to be. I've waited long enough and am tired of the apologists and those satisfied with mediocrity

Schiano showed that it can be done. Question is, do we have the coach to do it again? B1G membership, with all of it's benefits, should help.

Yes, Schiano had stellar In State Recuting results in 2011 and 2102. Four and Five of the Top 10 NJ respectively. And Greg was doing this while we were still in the fledging BE/ AAC Conference . Ash getting 2 (so far) in 2017 is a heck of a lot better than Elmer Fudd's but needs to be elevated. 4 or 5 must be the norm.
It can be done . It will be done.

Agree the Flood debacle set us back tremendously and might take years for recovery.
The B1G powers recruit the B1G footprint aggressively. Just saying it's real impressive that the likes of Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana and yes Maryland are keeping much more than their "fair share " of their Top 10 Talent home vs. Rutgers . Greg did build this up and his 2011 and 2012 Classes can attest to that. We need this to uptick quickly over the next 2-3 years.
That's another point. Pair up the flood damage with the lowest level of state pride in the B1G, and we are swimming upstream. Don't think any state having schools in B1G territory have the degree of self-loathing found in NJ.

Yes, Schiano had stellar In State Recuting results in 2011 and 2102. Four and Five of the Top 10 NJ respectively. And Greg was doing this while we were still in the fledging BE/ AAC Conference . Ash getting 2 (so far) in 2017 is a heck of a lot better than Elmer Fudd's but needs to be elevated. 4 or 5 must be the norm.
It can be done . It will be done.

Schiano would be having top 15-20 classes if he were recruiting for the B1G and we'd currently be in the 2nd tier behind OSU, which is where everyone in the B1G was when Schiano left. I also assume PSU would not have passed us like they did if Schiano had stayed - I think we'd be about equal (look what Flood did with Schiano's leftovers in our first year in the B1G - we all know we outplayed PSU and beat UM).

But that's all speculation and we are where we are and I can only hope Ash can turn this thing around. A class in the 30s would be a great start, especially coming off the 2-10 debacle with a very bare cupboard. If he can follow a class like that up with 4-5 wins next year, that would show improvement and hopefully beget another class in the 30s, which would continue the slow improvement - maybe to 6 wins in 2018?

If all that happens, it will be interesting to see if Ash can then move further up in recruiting and wins in subsequent years to get us back to where Schiano would've had us on Day One in the B1G, IMO, i.e., 8-9 win seasons on average with the occasional top 2 in the B1G East season and New Year's Day bowl and the occasional 6-7 win season in a down year. We can hope.

Reactions: mildone

Agree wholeheartedly.

if you are tired of recruiting then you need to drop down to D2 football, this is what big time college athletics is about, its ALL about recruiting, you will never stop worrying about it

I don't know if anyone was pounding their chests about the prospects of immediately keeping talent in NJ. In an odd sort of way, joining the B1G worked against us. It seemed to open up the floodgates (no pun intended) to tOSU, Michigan and Penn State, who already had inroads in NJ. On top of that, we did not have a strong recruiter as HC, and that set us further back. It is what it is, and we have nowhere to go but up from here.
Exactly we missed our opening window of opportunity with a piss poor hire. Entering the B1G was supposed to see a boon in recruiting and seemed that way ever so briefly. One man turned what should have been a boon into a boondoggle. We simply missed a great opportunity and are now paying the price for incompetence. RU's administration wouldn't have it any other way, save a few hundred thousand, but lose millions in the end.

RU should have had a bigger bounce from getting into the Big 10. I think everyone expected that. NJ has not opened to RU...most of that was Elmer pissing it away but some of it came fro the handling of the Rice debacle and fallout with TP and Barchi which damaged the schools reputation

Reactions: RUinSC

Penn State has 3 recruits from the the top 10 in PA and 4 recruits from the top 30.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2017/pennsylvania

One of their commits CJ Thorpe (# 7 rated player in PA) just announced he's going to take an official visit to Michigan on 1/27. Thorpe's father player football at Penn State.

Penn State has 3 recruits from the the top 10 in PA and 4 recruits from the top 30.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2017/pennsylvania

One of their commits CJ Thorpe (# 7 rated player in PA) just announced he's going to take an official visit to Michigan on 1/27. Thorpe's father player football at Penn State.

The Ranking I see shows PSU with 3 of the Top 10 but also 5 in the Top 20 : #3, #5, #7 and then #13 - Holmes and #16 - Jouney Brown.
Plus Pennsylvania has three Division 1 CFB Programs ....hence local ties come more into play. New Jersey has only One Division 1 CFB program. Not to mention PSU got the #1 and #2 players in Pennsylvania last year.
And not also mention the "raid" that PSU does in NJ every year . You attempting to compare our In State success to PSU is beyond laughable.

Last edited:
The Ranking I see shows PSU with 3 of the Top 10 but also 5 in the Top 20 : #3, #5, #7 and then #13 - Holmes and #16 - Jouney Brown.
Plus Pennsylvania has three Division 1 CFB Programs ....hence local ties come more into play. New Jersey has only One Division 1 CFB program. Not to mention PSU got the #1 and #2 players in Pennsylvania last year.
Not to mention the "raid" that PSU does in NJ every year .
You attempting to compare our In State success to PSU is beyond laughable.

I think PSU only got one NJ player the last two years, Fries and Hansard.

Look, Ash will either get it done or help set up things for the next guy to get it done. At worst, he won't leave the cupboard as bare as the last guy when he leaves, either from winning too much or losing too much.

Lmao now nothing short of a great recruiting class is acceptable??? I think some RU fans have some type of syndrome that affects their brains due to years of suffereing

I'm sorry to say this but you are unrealistic and borderline delusional. So RU is suppose to join the B1G and like magic be on the same level of Ohio State and Michigan. Forget that they are 2 of the most prestige's and accomplished football programs in division 1 college football, currently and historically. Forget Ohio State and Michigan will be top 10 at worse and national champ contenders at best, most seasons. Forget that not that many years ago before Schiano, RU was one of the perennially worse football programs in Division 1 college football. Forget that the recruiting drop off after Schiano's departure was major. Sorry this recruiting class isn't on par with Michigan or Ohio State like you IMAGINED! The fact of the matter is RU football may never reach the level of these 2 all-time great programs on a consistent basis. Obviously setting the goal to reach that level is appropriate but I and probably many rational supporters would be satisfied if the program reached a level of consistently winning 7/8/9 games and going bowling with an occasional magical 10/11/12 win season and major bowl thrown in. Nonetheless, it will probably take at least 3 years of improved recruiting to get them there and this years class is a good start in that direction.

Reactions: csphi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT