ADVERTISEMENT

To the Students, younger fans and anyone else who wants to listen…

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
I’m usually on premium and I don’t ever post on this board but I’m figuring the younger people will see it more here.

I’m 51 years old; so I’ve seen a lot of football at Rutgers. When Greg first came here, he was full of enthusiasm and got kids to come, when in reality, we had nothing very attractive at all. Livingston campus had the Quads, two towers and Tillet (we called it killet). There were no facilities, there was no “The Yard,” no Rodkin Academic center and yet we had at that time; some pretty tough teams on our schedule. Miami and West Virginia regularly kicked our ass by some very big scores and Virginia Tech was becoming a powerhouse. We also struggled big time with Syracuse and Pitt.

Losing is never fun and when you’re not competitive, as we were this weekend; the easiest thing to do is to walk out of the stadium early. Like many, I had hoped that games like that were just a bad memory and I had even more hope after how we played this season at Michigan. The reality was that Wisconsin was the worst matchup for an undersized team like us next to Ohio State. And the fact that their defense was so smothering this year, made the score that much worse because of the short offensive possessions for us and Wisconsins massive OL creating big holes for an easy running attack. That’s not making excuses; it’s reality. Now, we missed plenty of tackles and made a bad situation worse; but that’s what can happen when you get pushed around like that off the line.

We have a ways to go but combining the experience of some of the players who we have now, combined with the kind of recruits we have coming in next year, things will look a lot different. We have so much to sell at Rutgers now; it’s crazy. And we have a coach who puts kids in the NFL. I was in the same seats when Schiano did this first time.

I was there until the end on Saturday; trying to encourage the kids we have now. I’ve seen this movie before and it was not going to turn under Ash; but it will with Schiano. I hope that regardless of how things go at Indiana and Penn State; the students will show up for the last game against Maryland. We need to continue all the positive recruiting momentum into signing day and into the off season.

That’s all.

Rutgers fans have endured a lot of bad football and seen very little good football. They can be forgiven for not sticking around to the bitter end to watch yet another blowout. Given how little they've had to root for they should be commended for showing much interest at all.

I’m usually on premium and I don’t ever post on this board but I’m figuring the younger people will see it more here.

I’m 51 years old; so I’ve seen a lot of football at Rutgers. When Greg first came here, he was full of enthusiasm and got kids to come, when in reality, we had nothing very attractive at all. Livingston campus had the Quads, two towers and Tillet (we called it killet). There were no facilities, there was no “The Yard,” no Rodkin Academic center and yet we had at that time; some pretty tough teams on our schedule. Miami and West Virginia regularly kicked our ass by some very big scores and Virginia Tech was becoming a powerhouse. We also struggled big time with Syracuse and Pitt.

Losing is never fun and when you’re not competitive, as we were this weekend; the easiest thing to do is to walk out of the stadium early. Like many, I had hoped that games like that were just a bad memory and I had even more hope after how we played this season at Michigan. The reality was that Wisconsin was the worst matchup for an undersized team like us next to Ohio State. And the fact that their defense was so smothering this year, made the score that much worse because of the short offensive possessions for us and Wisconsins massive OL creating big holes for an easy running attack. That’s not making excuses; it’s reality. Now, we missed plenty of tackles and made a bad situation worse; but that’s what can happen when you get pushed around like that off the line.

We have a ways to go but combining the experience of some of the players who we have now, combined with the kind of recruits we have coming in next year, things will look a lot different. We have so much to sell at Rutgers now; it’s crazy. And we have a coach who puts kids in the NFL. I was in the same seats when Schiano did this first time.

I was there until the end on Saturday; trying to encourage the kids we have now. I’ve seen this movie before and it was not going to turn under Ash; but it will with Schiano. I hope that regardless of how things go at Indiana and Penn State; the students will show up for the last game against Maryland. We need to continue all the positive recruiting momentum into signing day and into the off season.

That’s all.
As a youngster saw RU for the first time in '69 and season tix since 92''' and was there with you on Saturday until the end. And I agree... this was a mere speedbump on the road to better days. Keep the faith RU fans !! In Greg we trust

LOL… younger RU fans have no clue how much better RU athletics is now than it used to be…heck the RAC didn’t even have AC and an even mediocre sound system until 2016…enjoy it now, it’s like a world of difference ( in a good way)

I used to be a don’t leave early guy and now very much will in a blowout.

My leash over the years gets shorter too because frankly I don’t find it enjoyable to sit and watch a game like that year after year.

Last year the team was a joy to watch, this year I feel like Chris Ash is back.

That’s all.
My husband was so disgusted with everything we left before halftime. Being abused by the ticket office didn't help.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I used to be a don’t leave early guy and now very much will in a blowout.

My leash over the years gets shorter too because frankly I don’t find it enjoyable to sit and watch a game like that year after year.

Last year the team was a joy to watch, this year I feel like Chris Ash is back.
I work way too hard all week long at a job I hate, to sit back on a Saturday and watch bad football as my "enjoyment and escape". I used to explain it away by getting sloshed at the tailgate, but I'm too old for that stuff now. I don't know if I can continue to be a customer, if they can't turn this thing around quickly.

I applaud the sentiment expressed by the OP and commend people who stay until the end. I used to do that myself, staying to the end no matter what. But, for multiple reasons (some of which most people would find acceptable, some not so much), I now leave early when a game is well beyond reach.

I would fully agree with those who say that makes me less of a fan than those who stay to the end. But my position on the "good fan spectrum" is just not a very high priority in my life these days. For me, there are more important things than watching sports. I suspect I am not alone in that.

The good news for RUFB is that, being in such a populace region, if the program improves enough to be competitive in most games, and if the team manages to win 6 or more games each season, the attendance and game-day staying power of fans will surely improve again. The stadium will fill up and sell-outs won't be just on paper anymore.

I look forward to seeing that happen, for everyone's sake.

My reason for wanting Schiano in particular was because he went through this before and we had some beatings. I always admired how he handled things during the rough years. I think he’s even better at making the recruits understand why these scores are irrelevant right now.

Michigan State was very similar to Rutgers last year and they replaced their QB with an accurate passer with a strong arm who made the WRs much better and a superstar running back. They already had size able lines on both sides but these two players made all the difference. It may take GW a little longer to get to his level but he has that potential. We will do fine in our running game as the future OL is coming our way. That’s also a 2 plus season turn around but we will find others to help us get their through the portal. On defense, we need pass rushers to disrupt the QB And better overall corners. But it all starts with getting to the QB.

I’m looking forward to watching this all happen. I can handle some losing because I’m confident in the coach.

With the current product on the field, people should do what they want without a lecture. And do we really need another look at me thread?
Schiano is here, things will get better.
That is all.
I agree with you here. Some may call it being a fair weather fan, but I have a lot on my plate these days so watching a few hours of football, or spending a half a day attending a game usually requires sacrificing something else. I support the team in spirit through thick and thin, I was traveling last week and made sure to wear a RU football t-shirt in and around my hotels, but if I can move my physical time and energy to areas of my life that provide greater benefit to my family, I will do that.

Reactions: WhiteBus

That’s all.
THAT'S. Good.

That’s all.
Younger people will see it but read it due to it's length. I get the point you are trying to make but even I stopped reading half way down and I'm a similar age to you.

LOL… younger RU fans have no clue how much better RU athletics is now than it used to be…heck the RAC didn’t even have AC and an even mediocre sound system until 2016…enjoy it now, it’s like a world of difference ( in a good way)
What, the RAC didn't have A/C?? Hell, when I was student we had to scramble for seats at the old College Ave. gym.

ADVERTISEMENT