ADVERTISEMENT

Today Is Like The Sweet 16

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Yes,I know about but can't get into the World Cup. What incredible games today. Games you would normally see in the second weekend and they matter in March. Hugely. Looking forward to:

Zags-Purdue:inside vs outside. Going with Zags.

Oklahoma-Hall:Hall escaped last night. Oklahoma more talented.

UConn-Bama:The athletic match-up of the day. Thoroughbreds all over.

UNC-Iowa State:Just how good are the Heels.

Duke-Xavier:Game of the night. I really like Xavier with the 5 points.Duke has not gelled as of yet.

Would covet the Knights playing one of these. Maybe some day.Let's hope.

Yeah these tourneys are great! Really gets to level set against good competition early and where you need to improve. MSU is one of the most battle tested teams out there at the moment.

The UConn Bama game is intriguing. UConn has won all their games by 20+ pts this year and let’s see how they matchup against Bama

Reactions: MiloTalon13
We’re used to never watching our team in the Sweet 16. So why should today be any different?

Laugh Lol GIF

Yes,I know about but can't get into the World Cup. What incredible games today. Games you would normally see in the second weekend and they matter in March. Hugely. Looking forward to:

Duke-Xavier:Game of the night. I really like Xavier with the 5 points.Duke has not gelled as of yet.

No idea why we refuse to play in these tourneys hall plays every single year

Through Nov. 24 2022 games, Sagarin has #28 Seton Hall , #35 Rutgers, and #37 Iowa State all close together. I’m impressed with Rutgers rating, accomplished with far less than our expected starters.

Meh, I think we’ve been fine with our schedule. It could use some beef. But some of these tournaments are so poorly attended. You also know we’ll end up getting the short end of the stick with our first round match up and end up losing two games in three days

I love watching basketball at any level. But sorry, I'm all in for USA vs England today over any early season holiday tourney game.

Let’s play a game like that right now without Paul and Caleb OR last year as Pike was figuring out rotations.

Right now the perfect opponent is the one we have tomorrow.

Reactions: biazza38
Something about holiday time with family...its a phony excuse but some here actually think its valid
It would help our team in a lot of ways
1) prep them for neutral site games. If we have any aspirations to ever exit the first weekend we need to get comfortable with neutral site games. Mohegan sun was a start
2) it does nothing but help your resume. Even if you go just 1-2, it helps your NET far more than it hurts
3) it tests the kids and makes them grow up.

Instead we’ll have central connecticut state tomorrow haha

Let’s play a game like that right now without Paul and Caleb OR last year as Pike was figuring out rotations.

Right now the perfect opponent is the one we have tomorrow.

You don’t schedule based on “what ifs”,
Nobody knew Paul and Caleb would be injured when deciding on the opponents.

Reactions: bac2therac
Pike’s a good coach but why does he always pack his OCC schedule with a bunch of patsies? It’s time for Hobbs to step up and demand a tougher scheduled including holiday tournaments.

It would help our team in a lot of ways
1) prep them for neutral site games. If we have any aspirations to ever exit the first weekend we need to get comfortable with neutral site games. Mohegan sun was a start
2) it does nothing but help your resume. Even if you go just 1-2, it helps your NET far more than it hurts
3) it tests the kids and makes them grow up.

Instead we’ll have central connecticut state tomorrow haha
12 Big Ten teams play in these. Indiana does not, but does play Arizona,UNC and Kansas. No kid in the history of recruiting has chosen a school because it stays home on Thanksgiving. It is about accumulating wins,which is partially valid but mitigating against that is ceding a better seed. It is far better to beat Oregon and lose by 10-12 to Arizona and UNC, than to beat up on Rider,CCSU and Bucknell. Rutgers has a great profile on this active board and in the RAC,but not nationally,Andy Katz excepted. Playing in a high profile event as someone else noted as well,enhances the profile. Steve is a better coach than Danny. Rutgers is a far better university than UConn,but the national profiles aren't close. This could help bridge such gaps.

Sagarin ratings had #37 Iowa State pegged two notches below #35 Rutgers as of this morning (games through 24 November 2022).

It's a head scratcher for us albeit we all know deep down why which has been posted on many other threads.....Hall plays in these pre season tourneys every year because its league commissioner - Val Ackerman - has emphasized for years that all of its teams need to play tough OOC schedules.

We will play 6 quality opponents before year end. Do we need 8?

Can someone craft a schedule of what it would look like if we took the 1st 3 games of the year (which is formatted as a tournament).

When and who is the schedule.

Can someone craft a schedule of what it would look like if we took the 1st 3 games of the year (which is formatted as a tournament).

Look at any of the other 13 Big Ten schedules and you’ll have an answer. We’re the only ones who pull this bull crap.

It's clown shit. Sack up and play in these tourneys.

If you feel this strongly to the point of anger why not go to the court club meetings so you can get the chance to curse directly to Pike or one of the coaches about how you feel?

Why can’t it be a 4 team bracket? For your example I’m going with the Hall of Fame Tip Off (not because I want to go back to Mohegan Sun believe me) but because it shoots down the point your trying to make that it would have to make our schedule so much harder. It wouldn’t.

The ACC challenge is going away next year so that’s one less forced high major game. Instead of making the trip to Florida if we played in that event we would be playing one more game at a venue we already traveled to (Miami was in that bracket this year so the extra opponent would be a team we are going to play this year - except it would be neutral vs. road). Since we already lost to Temple (and the St Boneventures before them) we could do no worse in potentially losing a second neutral game at Mohegan Sun to Providence or St Louis.

If you feel this strongly to the point of anger why not go to the court club meetings so you can get the chance to curse directly to Pike or one of the coaches about how you feel?
Because they're going to care what a random fan thinks? We all know it's ridiculous and something none of the other schools int he conference do.. Some of us will admit it. Others will spin it and won't.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT