ADVERTISEMENT

TODAY ! : RU vs Northwestern, 4pm , RAC :

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
https://scarletknights.com/news/201...ens-b1g-play-with-northwestern-on-friday.aspx

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -
The Rutgers women's basketball team returns from the holiday break to open up Big Ten play with Northwestern on Friday at 4 p.m.

HOW TO WATCH
Friday's game will be streamed on BTN2Go with Lou Brogno (play-by-play) and Dom Savino (color).

To learn more about BTN and BTN2Go, click here.

ON THE AIRWAVES
Friday's game air on the Rutgers Radio Network on WCTC 1450AM, with Ralph Bednarczyk (play-play) and Mark Peterson (color).

PROMOTIONS

• GIVEAWAY: Ugly Holiday Blanket
  • HALFTIME: Teddy Bear Toss
  • All Rutgers students can bring up to two guests for free with ID

Reactions: MADHAT1
RU up 13-8 end of 1st. Missed 2 uncontested layups in the last 10 seconds, ugh.

RU leads 16-11 w 5 min left in the half. One of the ugliest games I've ever seen. Both teams missing almost every shot, lots of missed layups and free throws too. A long layoff for both teams is evident.

Calhoun gets hot w the 3s ! RU leads 22-13 w 2:41 left in half. Calhoun the transfer from Ohio St has 6 off the bench.

At the half RU up 29-18.

Calhoun the transfer from Ohio St, is a grad transfer, she started and was a scorer at Ohio st.. She was a Parade All American at Christ the King HS in NYC. Great pick up by C Viv.

Half time stats :

https://scarletknights.com/sidearmstats/wbball/individual;team=home

Cryor leads Ru w 8 points, followed by Calhouns 6
Carey leads w 5 Rebounds

RU up 34-18 w about 6:30 left in the 3rd. RU picking up way too many fouls, but playing great Defense.

RU up by 16 points in the third, looks like we may avoid our third a struggles for the first game in 3 years, nope, NW goes on 13-0 run as we don’t score for final 8 mins of the 3rd and now it’s 34-31. Winning but feels like we’re losing by 20. FINISH IT LADIES !!

Reactions: ScarletteK80
This is hard to watch.

5 points in 3rd quarter and off balance shots galore. Hope they can hold on....leading by 3.

This team defies description when it comes to the second halves of games. No words here.

under a minute RU ahead by 1, but win or lose it shouldn't be this way.

• RU hangs on and wins 45-41. Not pretty, RU shot horrible , but played good D. Stringer gets her 200th Big10 win, the most by any Coach in Big 10 W BB history.

RU shot 27 percent, as did NW.
Cryor led w 13 points
Carey led w 9 rebounds
NW out rebounded RU 45-40. They had some big players

It's win, 1-0 in conference play.

I’ll take a big ten win after going over a quarter of the game in a row without a point. Cviv terrible timeout usage though. End that run sooner. Go in and get fouled. We pull it out though. 1-0 B1G , but have to fix the third quarter!! Hire a psychiatrist !!

It's a win is all I'll say because I want to enjoy the wins right after they happen and save criticism for later so others can enjoy the win too.

One good thing, this win might keep those who only come after a loss from showing up.

I'll argue with bac all day , but he shows up after a win to congratulate and after losses to complain.
So don't think I put him in a no show after a win category.
The ones I mean know who they are so no need for me to point them out.

That's all the bashing I'm going to do after a win.
Good win or not, each win brings RU closer to making the Dance.
That's what I care about

Last edited:
Reactions: RU Mike73
Have to also think about the huge time off, it bit us just like everyone predicted. 2 weeks with no game, time off for the holidays, afraid we would shoot bad and sure enough, 27%. I figured a loss was in the cards. That’s the type of game you have to just find a way. Big B1G win

Just win, baby.

Although I have to say that I find the scheduling puzzling - with 2 weeks between games, the team had to be rusty.

Just win, baby.

Although I have to say that I find the scheduling puzzling - with 2 weeks between games, the team had to be rusty.
Rust was pretty evident - offensively. At least, except for a few occasions, Northwestern's shots were all contested. They usually shoot 41% from the floor so shooting 28% can't all be attributed to their rust. Also, we held them to 30 points fewer than they average. I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss anytime, but holy crap, I'm getting too old for games like this.

Also Calhoun and Cryor played today (not sure if they played against LSU or not since I missed the game).

It's a win is all I'll say because I want to enjoy the wins right after they happen and save criticism for later so others can enjoy the win too.

One good thing, this win might keep those who only come after a loss from showing up.

I'll argue with bac all day , but he shows up after a win to congratulate and after losses to complain.
So don't think I put him in a no show after a win category.
The ones I mean know who they are so no need for me to point them out.

That's all the bashing I'm going to do after a win.
Good win or not, each win brings RU closer to making the Dance.
That's what I care about

Its a win so that is better than a loss BUT

all too familiar pattern for this game and Northwestern is the kind of Big 10 school that RU shouldnt be blowing 16 point leads at home so its a nailbiter.

if someone wants to dismiss the pattern of big leads being blown over the past 5-6 years have at it. Today the team won but the problem is not going to go away.

if this team is still struggling to put points up.....just 16 in the 2nd half against a lower B10 team, I just do not see a NCAA tourney in this teams future

BeKnighted said: 2 weeks between games, the team had to be rusty.
I agree with that.
But to be fair , bac made a good point about leads being lost.

I just hope BeKnighted's rust was the cause and the problem bac points out will cease to be a problem
That's the way I'll look at it now , so this win is more enjoyable :cool2:

C Viv honored post game with another historic victory, this one Big10 win 200, most of any Big10 W BB coach.
https://scarletknights.com/news/201...-big-ten-play-with-win-over-northwestern.aspx

IMG_1374.JPEG

Arella played tough defense, but was off her game on offense. She has been our go to player, but she couldn't even hit her layups. Actually we shot 3's pretty well...for us. Good to see Calhoun get into it. She has not yet found her stroke with all her injuries. Tremendous energy on defense, but surprised how we were outrebounded by NW. In my opinion, we needed to play Caitin more. CC is the quickest player I have seen at the RAC. Glad she made a few foul shots at the end after missing a bunch. Victoria won the game for us. She stole the ball from their best player and got fouled. She made both. She also played with three then four fouls for most of the second half. Stasha showed some signs of coming out of her funk. Wondering why Zippy didn't play.

Monday at Maryland will be a good measuring stick.

We are going to be killed by Maryland on Monday. Hope I'm very wrong.
I'm just going to be singing every-time I think about the Maryland game:
Let the Upset Special shine a light on me,
Let the Upset Special shine a ever lovin' light on me.:D

I'm just going to be singing every-time I think about the Maryland game:
Let the Upset Special shine a ever lovin' light on me.:D
Me thinks MADhat has had a few too many.

ADVERTISEMENT