ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Scrimmage Open?

It is outside so I would assume that it is open to the public

We won three of the four quarters and looked pretty good. Both sides played physical and had big hits.

The big name freshman played the fourth and while the potential is certainly there, they played like freshman and I don't see meaningful time for them this year unless we have injuries that need covering. I was focusing on Dollive, Murphy and Kurdyla.

I don't think we can draw definitive conclusions from a scrimmage but I am feeling pretty comfortable with our performance.

We won three of the four quarters and looked pretty good. Both sides played physical and had big hits.

The big name freshman played the fourth and while the potential is certainly there, they played like freshman and I don't see meaningful time for them this year unless we have injuries that need covering. I was focusing on Dollive, Murphy and Kurdyla.

I don't think we can draw definitive conclusions from a scrimmage but I am feeling pretty comfortable with our performance.

How did the goalies split time

I was there for a little while.

Goal- Mullins started in goal and played the first quarter gave up 3 goals but overall looked pretty good. Palma played Q2 and 3 gave up 3 goals looked good in the minutes I saw. Stoller played 4 and 5 and gave up 3 goals. I did not see this but I was told that he looked good in spots and like a freshman in others.

FOGO- Dugenion took most of the reps and looked good/ strong. Neuman took reps and looked pretty good but not as good as Dugenio did not see Romanacek take a faceoff and the freshman Hawkinson is no longer on the roster.

The attack looked strong with both Scott and Cameron having 5 points in the first half, Kulas had 3 goals in the first half and an assist in the second. Kurdyla and Peters each had 2 points and Murphy had a goal. Scoot looked very hard to handle and Cameron had a couple of assists and looked more comfortable passing the ball.

Midfield- The top group looked to be Sprock, Knobloch, Aimone, and Teresky. Which looks to be very athletic. the second midline was the Kim brothers and Ringer. Big athletic group.

The offense is very attack driven, but with Kulas being the least established kid I could see teams game-planning to double-pole Knobloch and Sprock and forcing Kulas, Aimone and Teresky to carry.

SDDM - Daniels, Decker, and Miller looked good on defense but they appear to be hesitant to run and play offense. Now from what I was told they love to play defense and are good at it but they need to get used to the transition game.

LSM this position is locked down as they were going against BU's top returning middie and gave up 0 points.

Defense- Stahancyzk played with Russo and Apgar and looked good. there was clearly the best unit on BU and they scored 2 settled goals and one on a fastbreak. The defense looked solid with a lot of senior leadership.

We have some great options in goal. I wouldn't expect Kirst level of production but we have 3 guys that can play.

Palma played lights out against us last year and is a lefty. Brecht loves leftys.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Hopefully it’s just one scrimmage and there is balance between the mids and attacks. It just makes life so much more difficult on the opposing team.

Reactions: asgot
With Knobloch a year older, a healthy Sprock, and Teresky and Aimone coming in with experience along with the Kim bros, I can see a lot of scoring coming from the midfield too.

A healthy Sprock was playing at that elite level prior to injury and Knobloch is there now. If he can stay healthy throughout the season he has first team AA talent.

It's the other guys who I am going to expect a lot from given the attention the Sprock and Knobloch are going to command.

Put shorties on them and I'd immediately invert.

Last edited:
No mention of the Aussie transfer. Is he expected to be a factor at attack?

I think he is better suited for midfield at this level. He's athletic and can run. Our attack guys and the ones we brought in are better suited for that position.

I wouldn't expect earlier contributions but wouldn't be surprised to see him make some noise towards the end of the season.

BIIIIG difference between top D1 lacrosse and the Australian club leagues. Lots of good players there. I was surprised when I played down there. Their organization has gotten much worse though sadly. Ours has gotten significantly better.

Two countries going in different directions.

I was there for a little while.

Goal- Mullins started in goal and played the first quarter gave up 3 goals but overall looked pretty good. Palma played Q2 and 3 gave up 3 goals looked good in the minutes I saw. Stoller played 4 and 5 and gave up 3 goals. I did not see this but I was told that he looked good in spots and like a freshman in others.

FOGO- Dugenion took most of the reps and looked good/ strong. Neuman took reps and looked pretty good but not as good as Dugenio did not see Romanacek take a faceoff and the freshman Hawkinson is no longer on the roster.

The attack looked strong with both Scott and Cameron having 5 points in the first half, Kulas had 3 goals in the first half and an assist in the second. Kurdyla and Peters each had 2 points and Murphy had a goal. Scoot looked very hard to handle and Cameron had a couple of assists and looked more comfortable passing the ball.

Midfield- The top group looked to be Sprock, Knobloch, Aimone, and Teresky. Which looks to be very athletic. the second midline was the Kim brothers and Ringer. Big athletic group.

The offense is very attack driven, but with Kulas being the least established kid I could see teams game-planning to double-pole Knobloch and Sprock and forcing Kulas, Aimone and Teresky to carry.

SDDM - Daniels, Decker, and Miller looked good on defense but they appear to be hesitant to run and play offense. Now from what I was told they love to play defense and are good at it but they need to get used to the transition game.

LSM this position is locked down as they were going against BU's top returning middie and gave up 0 points.

Defense- Stahancyzk played with Russo and Apgar and looked good. there was clearly the best unit on BU and they scored 2 settled goals and one on a fastbreak. The defense looked solid with a lot of senior leadership.
Thanks - with a new Goalie and new SSDMs, it will be interesting to see if we employ NASCAR with the long outlet passes and transition offense.

Thanks - with a new Goalie and new SSDMs, it will be interesting to see if we employ NASCAR with the long outlet passes and transition offense.
Actually, I was a little disappointed in the SSDM in the NASCAR game as they seemed hesitant, all three of them. I think this is where having one guy return may have helped them. I think the best analogy is that last year guys were all essentially offensive players who were asked to play defense and this year guys are all defensive players that are being asked to contribute to the offense

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Actually, I was a little disappointed in the SSDM in the NASCAR game as they seemed hesitant, all three of them. I think this is where having one guy return may have helped them. I think the best analogy is that last year guys were all essentially offensive players who were asked to play defense and this year guys are all defensive players that are being asked to contribute to the offense

And realistically, whoever the goalie turns out to be, he won't be the master of dropping those 30 yard outlet dimes that Kirst was.

Reactions: Caliknight
Drove by practice fields today and we were up 4-0 vs NJIT midway through first quarter

Had to get to a meeting so I couldn’t stay but there were people in the stands so I assume it was open to the public

I heard that Rutgers did not play any of their starters and beat them pretty good

Last edited:
It’s a real shame Cole Daninger decided to transfer. He could’ve been that “one guy” returning at SSDM.

It’s a real shame Cole Daninger decided to transfer. He could’ve been that “one guy” returning at SSDM.
From what I understand Cole left to get a chance to play offense, the fact that he is not doing that at Jacksonville is interesting

You are probably spot on. Last year you had 3 of the 4 guys that felt they could contribute on offense and deep in their hearts, they were always offensive guys…but to get on the field and for the betterment of the team, the flipped roles and learned how to defend. There is a distinct difference in mindset.

My guess is it will come with the new guys. I had a personal scout at the scrimmage and he said the team looked great 😉

From what I understand Cole left to get a chance to play offense, the fact that he is not doing that at Jacksonville is interesting
I think they offered him a chance to get into grad school. I’m not sure he had that chance here.

I can say definitively he loved it at RU.

I think they offered him a chance to get into grad school. I’m not sure he had that chance here.

I can say definitively he loved it at RU.
I think sometimes kids want to explore a different opportunity. Some guys want to finish in one place, others might move for educational reasons and a new in field opportunity. It’s definately part of the conversation many kids playing have with their parents…especially the kids with the Covid year. This true senior class is the last class that has the extra year. Then it becomes less prevalent

ADVERTISEMENT