ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Scrimmage vs NJIT

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Most of the starters and upperclassman were not playing. It gave a chance for the young guys to shine.

As expected, NJIT was handled pretty easily by our young guys. They played 4 quarters to a score of 18-7.

Looks like Kurdayla, Aimone, and a few others had big days.

I like how the preaseason is being run. We are getting couple of more scrimmages in while being a little smarter with our older guys.

Season is coming fast. Villanova Sat. for what looks to be a fun alumni event, then it's live fire.

I agree that we need to rest guys and give others opportunities as neither team was holding back on Sat and great that they played well!!

There was probably some opening day adrenaline but let's stay healthy!

Brecht, like Pike, does a really great job of building. I can't think of a season where we weren't playing our best towards the end of it.

Additionally, he really gets player development. It's the rare guy that doesn't get noticeably better during their time On the Banks. In some cases incredibly so.

Guys like Charalambides, Bieda, Jules, Pless to name a few. Our guys leave a lot better than they arrive.

Not just a year older, but a year better as Brecht likes to say. I think a lot of that comes from our fall schedule and the focus on Rutgers. And of course, the kids themselves. This isn't a country club program. These kids work.

Brecht, like Pike, does a really great job of building. I can't think of a season where we weren't playing our best towards the end of it.

Additionally, he really gets player development. It's the rare guy that doesn't get noticeably better during their time On the Banks. In some cases incredibly so.

Guys like Charalambides, Bieda, Jules, Pless to name a few. Our guys leave a lot better than they arrive.

Not just a year older, but a year better as Brecht likes to say. I think a lot of that comes from our fall schedule and the focus on Rutgers. And of course, the kids themselves. This isn't a country club program. These kids work.
It is NOT a country club program…at all. I can validate that statement 😉

If you make it through you time, you’ve logged a lot of miles

Reactions: Caliknight
I’m a fan of limited reps for starters in all these scrimmages. Give them a few runs. Maybe a quarter max…then focus on the youth getting reps
Agreed. Team won't have as many opportunities to get the young players legit playing time once the real games start. Alo don't want to risk exposure to injury to any of the starters in a meaningless game.

It’s always a tight rope with these guys, especially the new ones. You want to get as many reps together as possible but you also don’t want to risk more than you need to.

It’s a no brainer to sit the vets. They aren’t going to get much out of it. I know for Brian it’s something he grapples with like every coach does.

Losing Sprock last year was probably going to bring him to a more conservative side. Just my opinion.

I know a couple guys are banged up that start. I would be shocked if they play at all today.

It is NOT a country club program…at all. I can validate that statement 😉

If you make it through you time, you’ve logged a lot of miles
No one knows that more than the players themselves or their parents.

I can tell you this. The real world gets a lot easier for these kids than those who didn’t go through such a commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT