ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean Fired

He always rubbed me the wrong way. A fellow SHU fan tells me he is a real good guy.

I've said it many times, no one did less with more, than Crean. Totally justified. Illinois may soon wish they had Groce back as more big time jobs become open.

His brother-in-law at Michigan, football coach Harbaugh, will hire him as an offensive analyst ;-)

Reactions: RU MAN
in order of attractiveness

1. Indiana
2. Illinois
3. California
4. LSU
5. Washington
6. UMass
7. Duquense
8. Quinnipiac

did I leave anyone else out.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBigFrank
He always rubbed me the wrong way. A fellow SHU fan tells me he is a real good guy.

I know what you mean but to your second point I was real impressed by him when he went over to Pike end game to apologize for the last second stuff his players did in our lose. Just super intense on the side court. Passing like a loony but heck. His style.

B1GT opener he had a 30+ lead and Crean had his starters in with 3 minutes left....needed an IQ check with potentially 3 more days in a row of play.

My favorite quote was about Indiana not hosting an NIT game this year so as to not denigrate Assembly Hall's hallowed grounds.

Reactions: RutgHoops
I know what you mean but to your second point I was real impressed by him when he went over to Pike end game to apologize for the last second stuff his players did in our lose. Just super intense on the side court. Passing like a loony but heck. His style.

When Crean was head coach at Marquette, they were playing @ Charlotte and Marquette asked the Charlotte AD's office a couple days prior if they could stop the game once Brian Wardle scored his 1,000 point. The Charlotte coach at the time (Bobby Lutz) was furious and game planned to not let Wardle reach the milestone that game. I believe he only needed 1 or 2 points to reach 1,000...

Brian Wardle, who averaged around 17 a game was held scoreless in a loss.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100029/100029369.htm

After the game in the corridor to the locker rooms the coaches almost threw down and had to be separated by the players.

The head coaches at Butler .Dayton,Wichita State and Iowa State should be considered for Indiana.

The head coaches at Butler .Dayton,Wichita State and Iowa State should be considered for Indiana.

Why would you necessarily leave those programs, though? Indiana is a blueblood program, but unless you are an alum or an Indiana native I don't necessarily see the appeal. Why leave a gig where you make the NCAAs regularly, can legitimately make Final Fours, are really the only game in town, and you're getting paid? The mid-majors that go deep in the tourney like Butler and Wichita State are paying their coaches like P5 programs without the pressure of a National Championship appearance at least 2x a decade or you're fired.

When Crean was head coach at Marquette, they were playing @ Charlotte and Marquette asked the Charlotte AD's office a couple days prior if they could stop the game once Brian Wardle scored his 1,000 point. The Charlotte coach at the time (Bobby Lutz) was furious and game planned to not let Wardle reach the milestone that game. I believe he only needed 1 or 2 points to reach 1,000...

Brian Wardle, who averaged around 17 a game was held scoreless in a loss.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100029/100029369.htm

After the game in the corridor to the locker rooms the coaches almost threw down and had to be separated by the players.

Sounds like terrific coaching

Why would you necessarily leave those programs, though? Indiana is a blueblood program, but unless you are an alum or an Indiana native I don't necessarily see the appeal. Why leave a gig where you make the NCAAs regularly, can legitimately make Final Fours, are really the only game in town, and you're getting paid? The mid-majors that go deep in the tourney like Butler and Wichita State are paying their coaches like P5 programs without the pressure of a National Championship appearance at least 2x a decade or you're fired.

coaches have egoes, they like to be coaching at the highest level. Archie Miller will leave Dayton, he can only go so far there. Marshall at Wichita has his pick of jobs...but consider that WSU was a bubble team if they didnt win their conference tourney...not a good thing to have...the conference his team plays in is garbage. He has turned them down before but just like Smart they have to move at some point. Its not like they are at Villanova with Jay Wright

Reactions: Bones131
Didn't you say a few weeks ago it was plausible Wright could leave for Indiana????

Didn't you say a few weeks ago it was plausible Wright could leave for Indiana????

yes...he could leave...like I said...egos...its plausible, does he want to coach at Nova forever...thats what these coaches have to weigh....Wright is in a way better situation than those other guys

This was an unusual year in the Valley.

Usually it's a 2 bid league however if Marshall wants to leave I could see him being a natural at a place like LSU.

Archie Miller fits at Indiana as would Alford if he wants it.

I see Illinois and Indiana as way better jobs than LSU and remember football is king at LSU where hoops is king at Indiana and Illinois

3 million a year----low expectation levels-----not a great league----a school where you can get anyone through with excellent facilities-----nice weather and a really nice campus-----------that's LSU.

You can get them healthy quick.

ADVERTISEMENT