ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman: Chris Ash 'is the best there is in the country

Coordinators don't lose to head coaches. That's a false narrative. Are you talking about Ash coaching Arkansas as DC? He was only DC there for 2013. In the 2013 game, the Arkansas defense force 2 fumbles and had one interception, and their offense scored only 24 points. Is that Ash's fault?

It’s Ash’s fault that Rutgers had 346 yards passing that game. The 2nd highest Passing yardage by RU for a regulation game that entire season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
Someone is hyping up the hiring of a new coach/coordinator?
How ridiculous for Herman to do that.
I've never seen a HC (or fanbase) say such crazy things.

Herman should look into these coaches too:

A.J. "best coach on staff - future HC candidate" Blazek
John "Instant Impact, best OC in RU history" McNaulty

Tom Herman has been, is, and always be a drama queen. I don’t say this just because I’m an Aggie and naturally inclined to dislike him and his employer (he’s a really good coach, actually) but this is how he operates. Everything he does (from pinching his nipples during a game) to bedazzling his own teeth is meant as over hype.

he is perfect for that weird enclave inside of actual Texas...Austin.
herman.gif

tom-herman-grill.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the same could be said for Flood except #3.
Not every coach can step up to be a HC. Ash mistake #1 should have invested in quality OC & DC. Would have made his job easier. Taking a WR coach and making him your OC in the B1G leads to about 99.99% failure outcome. Would say 100% but nothing is 100%. GS would come here and fail if he were not able to negotiate and secure finances for a quality staff. It sucks that this yr is still up in the air and may or may not be played. This 1st yr would be HUGE for future classes if he could come in and show a heartbeat which I think he would

Yes, Chris Ash turned out to be an awful HC for Rutgers, he didn't recruit and he didn't win, there simply is no disputing that fact. However, at no time did he place the program in jeopardy of sanctions and he was a decent human being throughout his whole tenure. Lousy coach, but a generally nice person, to say otherwise questions whether you actually met the man and had a chance to interact with him. I am so disappointed by the childish and immature personal hatred of this man manifested on this site by a few noteworthy posters. He is no longer here, we have the coach we always wanted back, so why not be somewhat gracious and kind and let the man try to resurrect his career in a program we will likely never play without all the personal character attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
Yes, Chris Ash turned out to be an awful HC for Rutgers, he didn't recruit and he didn't win, there simply is no disputing that fact. However, at no time did he place the program in jeopardy of sanctions and he was a decent human being throughout his whole tenure. Lousy coach, but a generally nice person, to say otherwise questions whether you actually met the man and had a chance to interact with him. I am so disappointed by the childish and immature personal hatred of this man manifested on this site by a few noteworthy posters. He is no longer here, we have the coach we always wanted back, so why not be somewhat gracious and kind and let the man try to resurrect his career in a program we will likely never play without all the personal character attacks.

glad to see Mrs Ash still lurks on our board. Ha

Maybe he'll be a success as a DC at Texas, but beyond dispute he was an absolute failure as a HC at Rutgers.
He was no different than anyone not names Schiano since we went big time. This was bigger time and he was not ready to be a HC. If everyone is pissed about the money I get it but no need to trash the guy every day. This crowd did the same to Flood and every other coach we’ve had including Schiano his first 4 years. The board looks like loserville when everyone goes down this road. Let’s act like winners and talk about the good years.

The vitriol directed at Ash is understandable considering his morbid failure as RU's head coach. However, that does not detract from his abilities at coaching defense as a position coach or coordinator. So Tom Herman could be right.
The problem here and on most of social media is people want to take a snippet or a title "Tom Herman:Chris Ash is the best there is in the country" and twist it to fit a narrative. What he actually said was: “I don't claim to be the foremost expert on defenses or be a defensive coordinator by any stretch, but I do know that the guy that I hired is the best there is in the country.”

Maybe he is right, or at least partially right. Some argued his defenses were better than Schiano's defenses at Ohio State, and those arguments are somewhat nonsensical because there were different players and issues in the different seasons Ash and Schiano were coordinators/co-coordinators. What matters most to the head coach and his coordinators and positions coaches is their philosophies are aligned and they are on the same page. So for Tom Herman, Chris Ash is the best for him and his team. No problem with that.

Kyle Flood beat his defense twice and we hired this guy. Great defense? He moved from job to job.

wasn't there some sort of scandal Ash was involved in when he got to Texas where two assistant coaches were fired because Ash ratted them out to TH? I vaguely remember the story.

Admittedly have not read this thread, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he’s a great assistant coach strictly in charge of a defense only.
He’s an awful head coach and face of a program
He might be a "great" DC with blue blood talent, but is there any reason to believe he is any good with 3-ish star players?

Reactions: RUaMoose
I don't buy this narrative that CA is a great DC but was a victim of the peter principle as a HC. Consider his 2013 Ark defense was 89th in the country. 2014 Ark D went all the way up to 10th in the country with CA's replacement. He was only co-DC at OSU and we know all about how superior their players are. He did good at Wisconsin, I'll give him that but it's not like the guy had 10 years, or even 5 as great DC. He had two. That's a small sample. I just think the guy is mediocre to good as a DC but is a great bullsh!tter that knows how to network and sell himself. Suckers like Hobbs took the bait
you see.. now you done gone and reminded me as to why I doubted him all along.. perhaps any decent performances by our defense of late has been their HEART and not his coaching.. I guess we shall see what he can do in Texas.. where the heart of those players has been questioned by their fans in many recent years.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I think Ash is a very good defensive coach, teacher and DC. Maybe one of the best. I watched some of his videos he made teaching how to play defense. It is more complicated than one thinks. As HC he was one of the worst, mostly because he didn't have a network of expert staff or enough credibility to recruit top athletes.

I think Ash is a very good defensive coach, teacher and DC. Maybe one of the best. I watched some of his videos he made teaching how to play defense. It is more complicated than one thinks. As HC he was one of the worst, mostly because he didn't have a network of expert staff or enough credibility to recruit top athletes.

He was awful in e very aspect as a head coach. The worst

I don't buy this narrative that CA is a great DC but was a victim of the peter principle as a HC. Consider his 2013 Ark defense was 89th in the country. 2014 Ark D went all the way up to 10th in the country with CA's replacement. He was only co-DC at OSU and we know all about how superior their players are. He did good at Wisconsin, I'll give him that but it's not like the guy had 10 years, or even 5 as great DC. He had two. That's a small sample. I just think the guy is mediocre to good as a DC but is a great bullsh!tter that knows how to network and sell himself. Suckers like Hobbs took the bait
#NailedIt!

Tom Herman has been, is, and always be a drama queen. I don’t say this just because I’m an Aggie and naturally inclined to dislike him and his employer (he’s a really good coach, actually) but this is how he operates. Everything he does (from pinching his nipples during a game) to bedazzling his own teeth is meant as over hype.

he is perfect for that weird enclave inside of actual Texas...Austin.
herman.gif

tom-herman-grill.jpg
I have cousins that went to TX A&M. Austin is the SanFran of TX.

He might be a "great" DC with blue blood talent, but is there any reason to believe he is any good with 3-ish star players?
Don’t forget we had many Defenaive players arrested at the end of Floods tenure and then several more a few years later under Ash. It wasn’t just 3 star players going against the best teams in the country. We were paper thin depth wise and played a ton of true Freahmen.

Again, let’s talk about the good times and stop with the woe is me loser mentality that pervades this board.

How about the 2006 and 2012 Defenses? Anyone? Buehler?

I have cousins that went to TX A&M. Austin is the SanFran of TX.
Austin aspires to be like San Fran...but they are quickly catching up...public pooping, homeless out of control problems...drugs everywhere.

Since moving to TX my only exposure to Austin has been the airport and luckily you don’t have to go anywhere near downtown. The airport has syringe drop off bins in every bathroom.

Austin aspires to be like San Fran...but they are quickly catching up...public pooping, homeless out of control problems...drugs everywhere.

Since moving to TX my only exposure to Austin has been the airport and luckily you don’t have to go anywhere near downtown. The airport has syringe drop off bins in every bathroom.
Yuck. And they are still rioting there.

Stephen F. must be rolling over in his grave.

Not every coach can step up to be a HC. Ash mistake #1 should have invested in quality OC & DC. Would have made his job easier. Taking a WR coach and making him your OC in the B1G leads to about 99.99% failure outcome. Would say 100% but nothing is 100%. GS would come here and fail if he were not able to negotiate and secure finances for a quality staff. It sucks that this yr is still up in the air and may or may not be played. This 1st yr would be HUGE for future classes if he could come in and show a heartbeat which I think he would
Mistake #2 was him taking a long piss on RU traditions and awards. Dont piss on my back, and call it rain.

Yuck. And they are still rioting there.

Stephen F. must be rolling over in his grave.

Austin is often cited as the top place to move to or visit in TX...I can think of so many better and sane places that beat it. I feel bad for locals...the ravenous desire by some to be like SF or Seattle or Portland (not worthy goals as far as I view it) is leading the state capital to become increasingly very different than the rest of the state (big cities included)

Mistake #2 was him taking a long piss on RU traditions and awards. Dont piss on my back, and call it rain.
I think it's part of the poor performance. He hated Rutgers and didn't want to be here. When you don't want to be at your job, how well can you actually do your job?

I went to austin 10 years ago and it was Awesome. There is one street where it is bar after bar with live music. The bars let out at 1 or 2am and the streets fill with college girls wearing Miniskirts and Cowboy boots. It was unreal for this Jersey Boy. Almost made me want to move to Austin but I need to be within an hour of an ocean. Oh well.

Austin is often cited as the top place to move to or visit in TX...I can think of so many better and sane places that beat it. I feel bad for locals...the ravenous desire by some to be like SF or Seattle or Portland (not worthy goals as far as I view it) is leading the state capital to become increasingly very different than the rest of the state (big cities included)
I don't know when I went to Austin 25 yrs ago for a national softball tourney i loved it. Cant speak for today but back then it was awesome

Not sure why all the vitriol for Ash from RU fans. We don’t miss his coaching at RU.

Aren’t we in a much better place now? No reason to hold a grudge imo.

I hope Chris Ash succeeds at Texas. We have the right guy leading our program imo.

Reactions: greenknight
ADVERTISEMENT