ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Amaker

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
was speaking to someone today who knows our new AD. Said he feels like Hobbs will do a great job. Also said don't be surprised if Tommy Amaker is our next BB coach. Laughed a little, but I guess it's not too crazy.

Well, he's done a nice job at Harvard so you never know.

I have been beating the Tommy Amaker drum for 3 coaching searches now.
I've watched him coach at Harvard going on eight years now. He is a much different coach than when he was at SH and Michigan. He has really matured.

sign me up. This crap show needs a completely different approach.

When can he start?
Can we get him in place before conference play begins?

I LOVE the fact we have a new AD.
JULIE would never have fired Eddie, or been allowed to.
Hopefully Hobbs cleans up this mess.
Hopefully Eddie feels the pressure.

Tommy Amaker pacing the sideline?
Yes yes!!

I really think the tide can be turned in basketball pretty quickly.
Good coaching will pay tremendous dividends, on the court, and in the stands.

Supposedly Eddie and Flood did not care for JULIE, but all other coaches liked her.
(Surprising? 2 of our least successful coaches)

Eddie has to know he is on the clock, or he won't be here for long.

Last edited:
I would not complain about Amaker. Major upgrade over the job Jordan's been doing to this point.

Amaker had a disastrous last year at shu. But his first three were very good. I would like him back too. If you create a new Dean position, it could be for his wife. Some thing the prestige of her at Harvard will be tough to overcome.

Reactions: BufSldr43
As long as EJ runs a clean program, brings in decent kids and wins a few games here and there, he'll be fine. That's all Hobbs is looking for.

He's someone that Hobbs should definitely have on his list. Every AD has a list of possible successors to the current coach.

With that said, I'm giving EJ until the end of next season. RU must be .500 or better in his fourth year at the helm. If not, time to start looking for a new HC... again.

Lineups set at 655PM every night. I'm thinking of selling Eddie Jordan and buying Tommy Amaker.

This isn't Fanduel or Draft Kings!!!

I always liked Amaker as a HC candidate. With that said, it is way to early to give up on EJ. He has to be given a fair chance. I hope EJ gives himself a chance to succeed by fixing the problems on defense and strengthening his staff to help with recruiting.

I hope we're done with coaching changes in football and men's basketball for a long long time. I'm getting tired of the
revolving door every few years. We need some stability here.

Amaker would be awesome. He has a system. Enough streetball with marginal athletes and poor shooters.

As long as EJ runs a clean program, brings in decent kids and wins a few games here and there, he'll be fine. That's all Hobbs is looking for.
What's your definition of few - we win very few games now

If he can get to 5-6 conference wins he will by himself some time, lol. In all seriousness, I don't think Hobbs will have a quick hook with EJ. He'll give him some time to try and be successful. That being said, he won't have as much of a leash as Willard has had at SHU.

Basically EJ was handed a set of keys and told "these go to that wreck over there" - they told him to get it running - but don't expect to be able to go shopping for any high priced parts - and you will have to do all of your repair work in this UN-airconditioned work space ... which you will share with some other folks
Oh, and above all else - try not to do anything that causes anybody to have to take time out of their busy days to fix any mess.
If you do most of this, you should survive for a while.

Eddie should get five years period. This is basically year one for him.

Reactions: RUsojo
I've watched him coach at Harvard going on eight years now. He is a much different coach than when he was at SH and Michigan. He has really matured.

I'm sorry but in what way is he "much different"? Every time I watch a Harvard game I see the exact same stuff he did at Michigan. The only difference at Harvard is he got them to relax their admissions standards so he has been able to recruit a bunch of talented kids no other Ivy League school could go after.

And for all the winning he has done at Harvard, almost none of it is against teams from the major conferences. Here are his highest ranked opponents he has beaten OOC each year (by kenpom rank):

2014/15: #109 Vermont
2013/14: #23 Cincinnati (NCAA tourney), #70 Vermont, #75 Green Bay
2012/13: #19 New Mexico (NCAA tourney), #56 California, #96 Boston College
2011/12: #25 Florida State, #67 St. Joe's
2010/11: #51 Colorado, #67 Boston College
2009/10: #75 Boston College

So in 6 years of very successful Ivy League play, he has 3 wins over KenPom top 50 opponents (though 2 were 1st round NCAA upsets), and a handful of wins over BC and Vermont and 15 losses vs kenpom top 50 OOC play. 3-15 versus what would be considered good OOC competition. I realize he's at Harvard, but that still isn't a terribly impressive record especially considering his domination in conference play.

Now please don't get me wrong. I like Tommy. I had several opportunities to meet he and his wife in Ann Arbor. They are great people and great for a university. I just don't think he's very good at actually being a basketball coach. Harvard is perfect for him. His wife is a hardcore academic so she fits right in and he has a lot less pressure there.

I really have not followed Tommy closely since he left Michigan but I was not impressed at all with him while he was in Ann Arbor. My brother-in-law coached high level AAU basketball in Michigan which allowed him to go to occasionally attend UM practices while Tommy was there and he said his practices were some of the worst he saw at the D1 level. Maybe he has improved but he was given 6 years at UM and things never changed.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I really have not followed Tommy closely since he left Michigan but I was not impressed at all with him while he was in Ann Arbor. My brother-in-law coached high level AAU basketball in Michigan which allowed him to go to occasionally attend UM practices while Tommy was there and he said his practices were some of the worst he saw at the D1 level. Maybe he has improved but he was given 6 years at UM and things never changed.

NEXT!!!

We need more candidates!!

ADVERTISEMENT