ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Prediction

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Will be close. Clemson and Auburn will definitely fall out. Florida Atlantic may or may not. San Diego State split for the week but may hang on.

So call it 3 spots open. I think Duke looking good.

The other choices are NC State, Rutgers, Creighton, Iowa

Is it crazy to think Purdue could stay #1 with a loss at Indiana. It was a close one. #2 Tennessee lost earlier in the week to Florida. Will #3 Houston move back to #1?

1. Purdue
2. Houston
3. Alabama
4. Arizona
5. Texas
6. Tennessee
7. UCLA
8. Kansas
9. Virginia
10. Iowa State
11. Baylor
12. Marquette
13. Xavier
14. Kansas State
15. St Mary's
16. Gonzaga
17. TCU
18. Indiana
19. Providence
20. Miami
21. UConn
22. Duke
23. North Carolina State
24. San Diego State
25. Rutgers

26. Creighton
27. Florida Atlantic
28. Iowa
29. Auburn
30. Pittsburgh

I just don’t see how we move up 10 spots just from beating MSU

5 schools ahead of RU from 26-34 lost plus Clemson/Auburn will definitely be out....thats 7 schools right there,,,, the question is does Fla Atlantic get bounced out of top 25 and do voters put in Creighton ahead of RU?

You don't have to move up 10 spots. You just have to move up 1-2 spots with 10 people.
Yes, there is a common fallacy that many of us fall into. Being the 10th RV team does not mean we are ranked #35, but that there are 34 teams who more people have ahead of us in their top 25. It does not say where outside the top 25 those who don't have us ranked consider us. Theoretically, a team could have no votes but everyone has them as their #26. The next week, they move up one place in everyone's mind, but go from no votes to top 25 in the polls.

Yes, there is a common fallacy that many of us fall into. Being the 10th RV team does not mean we are ranked #35, but that there are 34 teams who more people have ahead of us in their top 25. It does not say where outside the top 25 those who don't have us ranked consider us. Theoretically, a team could have no votes but everyone has them as their #26. The next week, they move up one place in everyone's mind, but go from no votes to top 25 in the polls.
Yeah, I've thought a lot about the fairly-recent development where us fans try to extend the top 25 in that way, which is not exactly correct...

Reactions: FastMJ
Yeah, I've thought a lot about the fairly-recent development where us fans try to extend the top 25 in that way, which is not exactly correct...
I mean, there's some merit, in that the first and second RV teams probably are already gaining a lot of top 25 votes... So picking up one or two more voters, or elevating one or two spots with a few voters, might more easily pull them in then a team that is only on a couple of ballots.

But it's highly imprecise. Just because a team is number 25 on a number of ballots doesn't mean some other team might not replace them with a slightly better week, and the tides can shift very quickly. Those bottom couple of spots in the top 25 can be very volatile because there's rarely consensus.

I mean, there's some merit, in that the first and second RV teams probably are already gaining a lot of top 25 votes... So picking up one or two more voters, or elevating one or two spots with a few voters, might more easily pull them in then a team that is only on a couple of ballots.

But it's highly imprecise. Just because a team is number 25 on a number of ballots doesn't mean some other team might not replace them with a slightly better week, and the tides can shift very quickly. Those bottom couple of spots in the top 25 can be very volatile because there's rarely consensus.
The bottom couple of spots are almost always teams that someone put at #25 but that the actual consensus ranking would be like #75 if they went that far.

Reactions: bac2therac
Indiana and Rutgers only teams with 7 losses.Big East continues to surprise in the rankings without Villanova.

ADVERTISEMENT