ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Rutgers Point Guards from 1970-Present?

Tom Brown was a JUCO...pretty sure from a Miami area JUCO

he actually was behind Rodney Duncan in 77-78...and took the starting job in 78-79 after Duncan was kicked off the team by Tom young

Steady player ...but not much of an offensive theeat

Tom Brown didn't leave early. I think he played JUCO at first but I might be wrong. He only averaged 6.0 ppg but he was lefty and was a very good ball handler. He started 2 years and led us to Greensboro in 1979 where we lost to the Johnnies at the buzzer after beating them twice in the regular season. I was there and that game was a real heart breaker.

Good choice. Brown replaced Rodney Duncan at the position.
Duncan started out real well on the Banks....throwing the alley-oops to Bailey, but then lost favor with Tom Young.
Never really knew why.

That was a mystery. I remember the first game he was off the team and he was standing in a long coat and I think a cane standing where the disabled section is nowadays. It looked like he was almost dressed in a tuxedo and I believe his picture was in the Home News the next day.

Reactions: rutger80
Good choice. Brown replaced Rodney Duncan at the position.
Duncan started out real well on the Banks....throwing the alley-oops to Bailey, but then lost favor with Tom Young.
Never really knew why.
If you were class of 1980, think back to some of the articles in the BV/CB newspaper. Although the articles were spun pro-Duncan and anti-Young, it was no secret that he responded to losing playing time by challenging Young’s authority.

If you were class of 1980, think back to some of the articles in the BV/CB newspaper. Although the articles were spun pro-Duncan and anti-Young, it was no secret that he responded to losing playing time by challenging Young’s authority.

Yeah, class of '80. That sounds plausible. I seem to recall him shooting more than Young wanted.

Yeah, class of '80. That sounds plausible. I seem to recall him shooting more than Young wanted.
I don’t think shooting too much was really the problem. I think Brown just ran the offense better, especially against pressure. That was the basketball part. Getting moved behind Billy Clark as well was a result of the insubordination if I remember correctly.

Reactions: rutger80
GEO for sure makes my list. I wasn't including current players, for whatever reason.

I thought Brown would have had one more year too. I thought something happened. Hurt? Academics. He was a great guard.

Farmer, while pretty good, was no Geoff Billet, who like Corey and Gio, had to and did do everything.

1.) Eddie Jordan
2.) Earl Duncan
3.) Corey Sanders
4.) Marquis Webb
5.) Geoff Billet
6.) Brian Ellerbe

Honorable Mention: Geo Baker (Let him finish his career first...think he's more of a 2,) Miles Mack, (really a 2 guard), Anthony Farmer, Mike Rosario (2 guard)

Ellerbe - the backcourt with him and John Battle is often forgotten but one of our alltime best.
"Ellerbe could have been our best pure point guard, never turned it over, tremendous dribbler, fed Battle a ton". Battle was fast too.

1.) Eddie Jordan
2.) Earl Duncan
3.) Corey Sanders
4.) Marquis Webb
5.) Geoff Billet
6.) Brian Ellerbe

Honorable Mention: Geo Baker (Let him finish his career first...think he's more of a 2,) Miles Mack, (really a 2 guard), Anthony Farmer, Mike Rosario (2 guard)
Ellerbe should be at 2...

Reactions: SBP
ADVERTISEMENT