ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Rutgers Point Guards from 1970-Present?

Can’t remember if John Battle was a point guard. Had a beautiful shot, as did Ricky Dadika.

Eddie Jordan. Myles Mack. Corey Sanders, Geoff Billet.

Who's at 5? Was Brian Ellerbe at PG?
How about Mike Coburn, Anthony Farmer, Geo Baker, Santiago as top 5 candidates?

Coburn and Farmer were decent players, but not top 5 PGs of the last 50 years.

I never saw Eddie Jordan play but in general, the PG position was not the strongest over the last 30 years. The Billets were good, not great. Duncan and Santiago were good but I’m trying to think of how they would be in the Big 10 to draw a fair comparison to what we see today. If you put sanders or Mulcahy in the Atlantic 10 they would look so much better. I’m really interested to see how Mulcahy progresses because he was damn impressive imo for a freshman. He could be a special player in the Big 10 before all is said and done. He also seems to have a great work ethic so I’m excited to see him improve.

Coburn and Farmer were decent players, but not top 5 PGs of the last 50 years.

Probably true. They're high on the RU all-time stats for assists, but I know that doesn't always make a great PG.

How could I forget Earl Duncan? He and Hughes were great pickups.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Anthony Farmer is one of the more underrated point guards we've had... He just got stuck playroom the worst possible era.

Reactions: RutgHoops
G.Billet, Mack, Sanders, Geo Baker and Q. Douby.

followed closely by J. Greer, E. Johnson, D. Santiago and D. Jones

Eddie Jordan was definitely # 1. He was one of the top assist guys in the nation and one year led the NBA in assists.I think Ellerbe, Duncan, Baker and Sanders all could round out the top 5. Mike Sherrod, Anthony Farmer were also very good as was Damon Santiago who had an extraordinary senior year. Myles Mack was good as well but I think he was more of a 2 guard than a point. Rich Brunson was good also. I only saw John McFadden once in the first RU game I ever saw in person in 1971. He was a very good passer and player. Geoff Billet was excellent as well but I think he was also more of a scorer like Santiago and Mack.

Reactions: Unionst
Marquis was excellent as well and could play several different positions. He did anything that the team needed. I forgot about him.

Reactions: RUDieHard
Eddie Jordan should have been on that list although I didn’t see him play and my list included G/SG interchangeably.

If you want to measure against their own competition, McFadden could be in the mix. My freshman year at RU he was my favorite player. Against current competition he’d be way over his head.

1-Eddie Jordan. (no doubt)
2-Corey Sanders
3-Geoff Billet....
4-John Battle
5-Mack ...maybe Geo Baker...maybe John Battle. Quincy Douby if he was a PG

IfI recall we often had guards that HAD to be PGs by necessity

Yeh, some of these guys are before my time ... but Geo is our best PG in last 20 yrs ... not even close.

Eddie Jordan was the best by a HUGE margin. After that it’s tough to choose.

Reactions: MadRU
1. Eddie Jordan
2. Geo Baker
3. Brian Ellerbee
4. Geoff Billet
5. Cory Sanders

Tom Brown PG for 2 years. NIT and
NCAA. In late 70s. Didn’t have great stats but led us to postseason

Reactions: shields
Tom Brown PG for 2 years. NIT and
NCAA. In late 70s. Didn’t have great stats but led us to postseason

Very Underrated player. Left early? Think he had a really sweet stroke. Good foul shooter.

Tom Brown didn't leave early. I think he played JUCO at first but I might be wrong. He only averaged 6.0 ppg but he was lefty and was a very good ball handler. He started 2 years and led us to Greensboro in 1979 where we lost to the Johnnies at the buzzer after beating them twice in the regular season. I was there and that game was a real heart breaker.

A lot of non PGs being listed here.

From memory, we had Sherrod, then it was a mix of Wiggan, and Webb playing out of position, then Farmer, Beatty, Seagears, Mack, Sanders, and now Geo. The last three were hybrids more than pure PGs.

Beatty was the most underrated. He was a good player who would fit better in the modern game. Mack was the best of these I think, he really got screwed over by coaching, he was a warrior. Seagears and Farmer had good physical gifts, and definitely do more with better coaching.

Sanders was the most overrated. He is a clear #3 for me after Mack and Geo, but I just hated his game so much. Lost us three for every one he won.

Damian Santiago in his Senior Year lifted his game more than an other RU BB player I have witnessed. The transition from junior year to senior was just unbelievable. The question is did he elevate the game of others on team. Do not have answer Y/N?. Nevertheless, Geo with one more season to demonstrate certainly will deserve consideration here.

ADVERTISEMENT