ADVERTISEMENT

Total faith in Hobbs

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Although I wasn't sure he was the "guy" to lead the athletics at RU, his ability to find the right person has me now trusting his judgement. The baseball hire has been a HC for 28 years and NO losing seasons!
The football situation will be settled, one way or the other, this season.

Although I wasn't sure he was the "guy" to lead the athletics at RU, his ability to find the right person has me now trusting his judgement. The baseball hire has been a HC for 28 years and NO losing seasons!

Agree. He has been the best AD in recent memory by a long shot.

I do too. I mean obviously so far Ash has been a disaster but all of his other hires have been home runs. Its easy to judge the hire in hindsight. Ash had a similar resume to Schiano.

He's also raised $100 million and is building state of the art facilities. I hope he's here a long time.

Let's not get carried away. Things look like they are headed in the right direction, but we have not won anything yet. Basketball has not made the NCAA tourney. Football has been moving backwards. Baseball has been a disaster. Lacrosse has not won anything yet. Softball, while much better, has not won anything yet. Wrestling, has been our best sport lately and they are still in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten(granted, middle of the pack is because 5 of the teams are in the top 10 in the country).

Best of Luck,
Groz

Let's not get carried away. Things look like they are headed in the right direction, but we have not won anything yet. Basketball has not made the NCAA tourney. Football has been moving backwards. Baseball has been a disaster. Lacrosse has not won anything yet. Softball, while much better, has not won anything yet. Wrestling, has been our best sport lately and they are still in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten(granted, middle of the pack is because 5 of the teams are in the top 10 in the country).

Best of Luck,
Groz

Most sports are on the upswing. It's difficult to take a sport from the dumps and make them instant contenders. Wrestling finishes top 10 for the first time ever AND produces its first two individual national wrestling champions and you poimt out they are middl of the pack? In the toughest conference of probably any sport? Hobbs has done a really good job overall in my opinion. Why take the enthusiasm here and try to smack it down?

Last edited:

Best of Luck,
Groz
Taking away 1-11 in 2018, please explain how "football has been moving backwards."

Other than Ash, he been on fire with the hires. The direction of all the program (besides football) are looking bright.

I am starting to think that Ash gets the Axe if he doesn't improve a lot this year. If Ash makes a bowl game he will buy himself another year but it is unlikely his contract will ever get renewed unless he has a massive turn around.

results are measured on a field of play.So far, other then wrestling and WBB, what revenue sport has any squad qualified at a NCAA tournament level for under Hobbs?

Taking away 1-11 in 2018, please explain how "football has been moving backwards."

Love you but you can’t take away the worst year in recent football history. But I guess taking a team that won 12 games in 2 years previous to him to a total of 6 wins in his first two seasons, would still be considered backwards.
And in his tenure, starting with 2 wins, improving to 4 wins, was 1 step forward. But then going to a horrific 1 win is at least 2 steps backward.
Not sure in any way how to spin a positive.
But let’s hope he can do it this year. I really do want him to succeed because I love this team.

Hobbs jury is out. Though i do like the guy. The job he has done in football has been horrendous. Season ticket sakes since he took over 4 years ago have been cut significantly. Recruiting has been near last in the conference. Excitement around the program is a 20 year low. Ash was his guy and is rated as the worst P5 coach in the country. Ouch. Hobbs must fix football if he is to be considered a success here. Or at least get it back to being mediocre.

Also this baseball hire hasn’t coached a game yet. Let’s see what he does at RU before saying it’s s great hire.

Reactions: RU#1fan and ru_ts
No question Hobbs has been a home run from a fundraising and PR and figurehead standpoint. Not having your AD insert foot in mouth every three weeks does nothing for the W-L columns or the trophy cases, but its value to the perception of the department is immeasurable. Being able to raise the kind of money he and his team have raised is huge, but to be able to translate that to shovels in the ground is even bigger. In two years' time, very few programs at Rutgers will own the dubious honor of having the worst facilities in D1.

But you can't ignore his massive glaring mistake. And despite all the hubbub Pike has created, at some point you have to start winning games or the generated excitement will dissipate.

Reactions: goldb80
Using sports like baseball and wrestling while basketball and football is tanking to say the athletic director is doing a good job is the equivalent of saying the CEO of Nike is doing great because sales of underwear and socks are great while shoes sales plummets.

Using sports like baseball and wrestling while basketball and football is tanking to say the athletic director is doing a good job is the equivalent of saying the CEO of Nike is doing great because sales of underwear and socks are great while shoes sales plummets.
Agree with the premise, but I wouldn't say MBB is tanking. It's undeniably improved. The question is whether it can ever improve enough to get to the next level.

The Softball hire was a good one also. But Football is a mess.

How can MBB be tanking when it has improved every year?

Football is a mess, everyone knows that, but MBB should make some post season appearance sooner rather than later.

Reactions: RUonBrain
I like Pat and have spoken with him a few times. He has done a tremendous job fundraising and he is cutting a lot of deadweight in the AD. However, making new hires doesn't mean they're good hires. That will take a few years to take shape. A lot of them do look good on paper and softball and gymnastics had some nice success last year (but success by RU standards...not actual success)

Pike is clearly building. Basketball is trending up but that's because it was so beaten down before. We haven't been above .500 yet, so let's pump the brakes.

As for football, Hobbs hire has lost us roughly 15m in ticket sales over a 4 year period. We went from 31k season tickets to roughly 15k this season. If he has to fire that guy, that will cost another 7.5m, on top of what we paid the HC to be horrible, on top of the bleeding season ticket revenue. It's very easy to say Hobbs has cost football alone about 20-30m in lost revenue, THAT is not good. On top of it, his football knowledge is limited, which scares me to correct the mistake he made from "his best interview ever".

I think he will get a chance to hire another football coach, but I also see a believable scenario where he gets thrown right out along with Ash. 10-38 in 4 years. 30M in lost revenue. All very realistic numbers that can be used by December for reasons not to keep Pat by a school President.

When you’re a Big10 school, it’s mostly about Football. The Big Revenue Producer. Rutgers has been hemorrhaging season ticket sales .
3 years in his most important hire has been a colossal failure. Big year coming up .
This, by far. And let's not kid ourselves, the performance of the football team has been a big part of why season ticket sales are plummeting, but another part of it has been treatment of the fans. And so far, I do not see any improvement on the horizon for that. Hell, many of us stuck it out through 5 years of Terry Shea, when the football team was out of the game by the beginning of the 2nd quarter, because back then we weren't lied to or nickel-and-dimed for everything.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I think he will get a chance to hire another football coach, but I also see a believable scenario where he gets thrown right out along with Ash. 10-38 in 4 years. 30M in lost revenue. All very realistic numbers that can be used by December for reasons not to keep Pat by a school President.

LOL, ok. He has brought in well over $100 million in donations so.. erm.. nah.

But we all agree that he must fix football.

untill he fixes the flagship sport of Foottball and basketball makes the NCAA tournament,the jury will remain out.

This . People don’t want to hear it but those are the two things that really count . And to many people the only things that count .

I like Pat and have spoken with him a few times. He has done a tremendous job fundraising and he is cutting a lot of deadweight in the AD. However, making new hires doesn't mean they're good hires. That will take a few years to take shape. A lot of them do look good on paper and softball and gymnastics had some nice success last year (but success by RU standards...not actual success)

Pike is clearly building. Basketball is trending up but that's because it was so beaten down before. We haven't been above .500 yet, so let's pump the brakes.

As for football, Hobbs hire has lost us roughly 15m in ticket sales over a 4 year period. We went from 31k season tickets to roughly 15k this season. If he has to fire that guy, that will cost another 7.5m, on top of what we paid the HC to be horrible, on top of the bleeding season ticket revenue. It's very easy to say Hobbs has cost football alone about 20-30m in lost revenue, THAT is not good. On top of it, his football knowledge is limited, which scares me to correct the mistake he made from "his best interview ever".

Nah, that’s assuming CA doesn’t coach again. He will get snapped up as a DC and the cost of the firing will be significantly less. This is a bad take

Football is a mess, everyone knows that, but MBB should make some post season appearance sooner rather than later.
Tanking might not be the best word to describe basketball but it is still bad and in the bottom third of the conference. Not a single winning season in 4 years? One season of not finishing dead last in the conference in the last four years? Team captain is transferring from the program. As a Penn State fan I know bad basketball lol

Last edited:

Ya, and obviously the BB team will need to prove it on the court, but that team looks like they are ready to break out. Using them as an example of Hobbs failure looks pretty misinformed.

Reactions: RUonBrain
It's funny how the Athletic Director, a guy who oversees 20 something sports, has raised $100 million, and built however many facilities, somehow his job still seems to hinge upon the play of a single 20 year old kid. That of course being the QB.

As for football, Hobbs hire has lost us roughly 15m in ticket sales over a 4 year period.
I think cumulatively it's significantly more than that once you add in walk up sales and such. And that's not counting all the incidentals that come along with people actually attending the games, which add up to another significant total. The worst number, though, was from 2017 where the actual scanned tickets per game averaged under 50% capacity. I think we need to go back to 2004 or even 2003 to see that. I very curious to see what the 2018 number was.
We went from 31k season tickets to roughly 15k this season.
And that's another number I'm curious about, what season ticket sales this year will be.

the only game from last season i was able to watch from beginning to end last season was the last game (mich st)... we lost when we should've won... fire the ashole

It's funny how the Athletic Director, a guy who oversees 20 something sports, has raised $100 million, and built however many facilities, somehow his job still seems to hinge upon the play of a single 20 year old kid. That of course being the QB.

His job hinges on a bad contract he put his employer into and on the the job of a HC he elected to bring back for a 4th year.

It's funny how the Athletic Director, a guy who oversees 20 something sports, has raised $100 million, and built however many facilities, somehow his job still seems to hinge upon the play of a single 40 something y/o man. That being the HC of course

FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT