Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Per Richie
From Eastern and Voorhees
Former college player
Assistant at Baylor with Kim Mulkey
Head and assistant coaching experience

Discussion starts at about the 20 minute mark—

Its disappointing that we are striking out. We are a top 25 program of all time. Thats why I think Law can work even with her disaster at Illinois
Does Rutgers ever go after a home run hire , a coach who would be able to attract big time players, it’s always a work in progress my friends, thank god for lacrosse & baseball.

Does Rutgers ever go after a home run hire , a coach who would be able to attract big time players, it’s always a work in progress my friends, thank god for lacrosse & baseball.
Rutgers swung for the fences with Berube and Kim Arico. Neither were interested. It seems as though Jolette may still be at play as might Megan Duffy. Toyelle turned down an in person interview. The BC coach was contacted.

Rutgers swung for the fences with Berube and Kim Arico. Neither were interested. It seems as though Jolette may still be at play as might Megan Duffy. Toyelle turned down an in person interview. The BC coach was contacted.

What about the URI coach Reiss?

Depressing, very depressing. I wasn't expecting Arico or some others, but a virtual no name? And, we hired a search firm to boot. This better change, and fast. I'm speechless.
99% of the blame goes to Stringer. She knew far before she officially resigned that she wasn’t coming back. Was she waiting to see if Eatman would turn the season around and become a viable candidate?

99% of the blame goes to Stringer. She knew far before she officially resigned that she wasn’t coming back. Was she waiting to see if Eatman would turn the season around and become a viable candidate?
blame her for waiting too long, but I look at it like this: Stringer planed to come back if there was any way possible to do so and waited till she absolutely was told that her condition hadn't improved enough and would keep her from being able to do the job without jeopardizing her health.
She took a LOA because of a health condition, in my opinion( without proof to back that up) extended it twice trying to get healthy enough to return, but was told that her condition hadn't improved enough to return to coaching by the time her latest LOA extension would expire and she decided to give up the ghost because there was no other choice.
I doubt she knew she wasn't coming back, but tried everything in her power to come back, even if she knew the odds might be against doing so.
Blame her for not accepting her health wouldn't improve enough to return, but not for delaying retiring knowing that was the decision she planned to make.

If waiting for Tim to turn it around befoe announcing she would retire, the goal of Eatman being a candidate ended before the season was over .

Rutgers should be able to offer a decent programs coach the opportunity to move up. She fits the bill. We really missed out on Shauna from Dayton
hopefully that will overcome the late date looking and availability of enticing quality candidates to come to RU

Depressing, very depressing. I wasn't expecting Arico or some others, but a virtual no name? And, we hired a search firm to boot. This better change, and fast. I'm speechless.
One of the posters alluded to other info. on the Round Table. Maybe someone has mentioned other leading names.

Any coach will have to reestablish itself within the NJ AAU and high school community where CVS never resided. Duffy could get us back into private
catholic school picture
The Catholic private school area is not going to produce a team capable of competing in today's WBB. That era was in the Grentz days - that was her go-to. You can pick up a fine player here and there, and we certainly should try. That circuit certainly has produced some stars, but I think you really mean local Catholic school circuit, which is more limited.

IGetting NJ natives to "stay home" should be a priority, as along as everyone realizes that you cannot build a competitive team just by recruiting locally or in state. I invite anyone to visit roster pages around big time WBB.

Reactions: bac2therac
The search firm came up with better names but with it being so late in the game seems a lot of the candidates have stated they have no interest in leaving their current jobs and their players high and dry. It's not like it's a bad job Hobbs is trying to sell here, It's just really bad timing. Expect an underwhelming hire since it looks like anyone who's anyone is already locked up.

The Catholic private school area is not going to produce a team capable of competing in today's WBB. That era was in the Grentz days - that was her go-to. You can pick up a fine player here and there, and we certainly should try. That circuit certainly has produced some stars, but I think you really mean local Catholic school circuit, which is more limited.

IGetting NJ natives to "stay home" should be a priority, as along as everyone realizes that you cannot build a competitive team just by recruiting locally or in state. I invite anyone to visit roster pages around big time WBB.
This is not an intended challenge. I just see things differently as it’s not like you have not pursued the best in New Jersey you just couldn’t sign them.
This year Madison st Ross of Vianney chose Princeton
Junior Zoe Brooks of Vianney was offerred as a sophomore but has not committed yet
Antonia Bates ( not a Catholic) Rutgers Prep did sign at Rutgers
Paulina Paris Saddle River Day has been pursued since her Soph year.

those are , as best as I recall , the three best teams in the state. Away from those there are only 1-2 other girls that play at the needed level. And also that is true of most years. This is just not a hot bed of talent

Michelle did go out and get the Penn poy
So maybe she should have been coach

Anyway two of my kids went to Saddle River Day and they have had Six division one commits in the last 4-5 years and all were offerred and pursued

Michelle Sidor , as best as I remember was offerred in the eighth grade. She chose Michigan

not relevant in the coaching search just commenting on recruiting

I picked Chelsea from the get go, and must have posted her name 50x. Timing of all this mess is a disaster. So, off she went with Joni from Georgia as co head coach. SIGH.
…and moved again with a handsome raise

This is not an intended challenge. I just see things differently as it’s not like you have not pursued the best in New Jersey you just couldn’t sign them.
This year Madison st Ross of Vianney chose Princeton
Junior Zoe Brooks of Vianney was offerred as a sophomore but has not committed yet
Antonia Bates ( not a Catholic) Rutgers Prep did sign at Rutgers
Paulina Paris Saddle River Day has been pursued since her Soph year.

those are , as best as I recall , the three best teams in the state. Away from those there are only 1-2 other girls that play at the needed level. And also that is true of most years. This is just not a hot bed of talent

Michelle did go out and get the Penn poy
So maybe she should have been coach

Anyway two of my kids went to Saddle River Day and they have had Six division one commits in the last 4-5 years and all were offerred and pursued

Michelle Sidor , as best as I remember was offerred in the eighth grade. She chose Michigan

not relevant in the coaching search just commenting on recruiting
I don't think we disagree at all, perhaps my phrasing was inept. I think you should always look to get any local players that are of the right talent to stay home - knowing that you won't succeed 100%. They generate fan interest. I know there are not a ton of them.

I was responding to those who have incessantly claimed that Viv did not recruit NJ or Catholic schools. I don't 100% agree, some players were just not coming, CVS or no, and others didn't fit her style of play. Maybe as you say she just couldn't sign them. But I did want to acknowledge that those are legitimate places to look at for some players.

Duffy has to be the choice based on her success at Marquette and being selected Coach of the Year in the Big East which is a power conference for college basketball.The Stringer delay in announcing her retirement has reduced the number of candidates for the position.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT