ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal - Rankings

With so many big-time players entering the portal, what is the best approach to choosing a school as a HS recruit??

They have some tough decisions ahead. If they are not the cream of the crop and ready to step into a rotation out of HS, they could languish on the bench for three years before actually developing to the point of getting to play at a top 25 program. UConn comes to mind as having had their share of players who hardly saw the court over a four year span....and we know all their recruits are highly touted (could get minutes at other schools).

With the portal, and coaches choosing to lean on it annually to build their rosters to compete now, HS recruits who need development may need to think of going to a program where they can actually play and develop. They likely could then become the sought after names in the portal. I think Brenda's Frosh at Md. and Walz's at Louisville see the writing on the wall that their opportunity to play is likely going to be filled with portal transfers.

it's almost like choosing between the honor of being brought up to the Varsity solely but being glued to the bench because you're not ready yet, vs the opportunity to play JV until you are actually ready for Varsity. I wanna play. I'm going the JV route.

With so many big-time players entering the portal, what is the best approach to choosing a school as a HS recruit??

They have some tough decisions ahead. If they are not the cream of the crop and ready to step into a rotation out of HS, they could languish on the bench for three years before actually developing to the point of getting to play at a top 25 program. UConn comes to mind as having had their share of players who hardly saw the court over a four year span....and we know all their recruits are highly touted (could get minutes at other schools).

With the portal, and coaches choosing to lean on it annually to build their rosters to compete now, HS recruits who need development may need to think of going to a program where they can actually play and develop. They likely could then become the sought after names in the portal. I think Brenda's Frosh at Md. and Walz's at Louisville see the writing on the wall that their opportunity to play is likely going to be filled with portal transfers.

it's almost like choosing between the honor of being brought up to the Varsity solely but being glued to the bench because you're not ready yet, vs the opportunity to play JV until you are actually ready for Varsity. I wanna play. I'm going the JV route.
This scenario should bode well for rebuilding P5 programs like ours and also some Mid-majors with winning histories, in terms of highly touted HS recruits with "potential" or "upside". Right???

You make a good point, it’s changed the game for players and coaches. It’s not about just about playing time anymore either, there are plenty of starters moving on through the portal. LSU, a final four team, is entirely made up of transfers that weren’t on the roster last year.

It will also be interesting how this changes when the ‘free’ Covid year is no longer a factor. That allowed Czanano from Iowa to stay an extra year; there are many good players that tried out other programs for their one ‘graduate’ year.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Just to point out that I saw a statistic that current portal activity is 25% of last year (although, there is more time for folks to declare). And the number of players especially from Power 5 schools is small compared to last year.

Little dynamo, Lauren Park from Seton Hall has entered the portal. She should be amongst the top ranked portal entrants.

Wishful thinking, but she would be a perfect point guard for us if we could get another elite player, either in the post or on the wing or both, to go with what we have.

Whoa, Lauren Betts out of Stanford enters portal. 6'7", with 3 years left. Not that we stand a chance, but dreaming is good.

and another one. Jasmine Carson (LSU) has officially entered the WNBA Draft.
Don't know what these kids and their manager's/parents are thinking. There is little room on the existing squads.

and another one. Jasmine Carson (LSU) has officially entered the WNBA Draft.
Don't know what these kids and their manager's/parents are thinking. There is little room on the existing squads.
Does she have 6th year eligibility?
Her first 2 were at Georgia Tech then 2 more at West Virginia.
LSU was her 3rd stop playing 5th year there

She is entering WNBA draft, not another college.
I knew that but can't understand why entering the draft is not a good move if she wants to continue playing basketball but used up her college eligibility.

A nothing ventured nothing gained type of action in my book.
I would imagin she'll be getting some WNBA teams to give her a workout
to see if she has what it takes to be drafted.
The Championship game helped her to be noticed , even if the 3 before shown nothing she did worth remembering

I read somewhere you have to opt into the WNBA draft. I don’t think Carson has eligibility left so she’s just following the procedure. It’s not like the men where you can test the waters by going to the combine as long as you don’t have an agent.

Today's news included Louisville's Van Lith entering the portal. She will graduate this spring so will be a grad transfer. RU should jump on this as we have a fantastic array of great grad programs.

It is my understanding that many, if not most, of the high level transfers are to make a lot of money with NIL deals. I don’t think Rutgers has much to offer and am concerned that we will be on the outside looking in when this is all done. I hope I am wrong.

Today's news included Louisville's Van Lith entering the portal. She will graduate this spring so will be a grad transfer. RU should jump on this as we have a fantastic array of great grad programs.
High profile players that enter the portal already have a destination in mind. In fact Van Lith has already stated so in her announcement. She‘s from the Northwest, maybe returns home or more likely, follow the NIL money. It’s free agency now, even in the women’s game.

Hailey is from the state of Washington. Can't imagine she would come to New Brunswick for a year. She wants to go to a proven big time winner, not a patch work quilt.

We need the guard from Penn(Padilla), Justine Pissot, and .......dare I say it???

Yes!!! I'm saying it! 6'7 Lauren Betts!!!

Just give us a group of 3 elites that would like to play together with a VERY GOOD supporting cast already in place.

That roster would one to be reckoned with.

Reactions: RUfanDNT
A 6'5" or taller post, elite wing, PG combo of any 3 from this list of players(that are still available).

I almost forgot that Destiny Adams is still available. We need her to come home with Justine P. Would definitely add a more fans in the stands.

Can't forget others who don't appear on the list. ScarletteK listed quite a few on here. A. Carman, R. Caverly, Sydney Taylor(PG- UMASS).

Would love to have Lauren Park-Lane, Indya Nivar, or De'Myla Brown from Houston.

If portal entrants/recruits want the spotlight, want to build their brand, etc.,....It awaits them here at RU. They will get the playing time and at least a chance or two or three to face of with the top player in WCBB, Caitlin Clark.

Three elites, as I mentioned, added to our current roster, can compete with Iowa or anybody else.

Reactions: gigantor1024
Another prospect just flew off my wishlist. Jaida Patrick, grad transfer from Columbia Univ(Duke before that). She played HS at Saddle RiverDay as a rival of Destiny's HS team. Jaida just committed to U of Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT